Author Topic: SteelSeries Rain Gauges  (Read 2334 times)

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
SteelSeries Rain Gauges
« on: April 21, 2013, 05:05:22 AM »
Mark,

I see that you are working on 2.3.1 of the SteelSeries Gauges. I live in the Colorado mountains where our rainfall is maybe 20" per year (and half the year measured as snowmelt) spread over ~100 days per year; meaning we average ~0.2 inches per day in which precipitation occurs. As such I would like to offer a couple suggestions for the rain related gauges:

1. The daily rain gauge defaults to a 0 - 1.0 inch scale. It would be nice if the starting default was 0 - 0.5" to provide a little more definition to small amounts of moisture. A 0-0.5 scale would be much closer to the 0-10 mm alternative, which is close to 0 - 0.4 in inch terms. In other words, the rain gauge is only half as "sensitive" on the inch scale as it is on the mm scale. It would nice if they were closer to the same, or at least the user had an option of setting the initial rain gauge max similar to what is allowed for temperature and some of the other gauges.

2. I would love to see the rain rate gauge be optional similar to the UV, Solar and Wind Rose gauges. Again, our rainfall is rarely heavy or sustained and hence the gauge is essentially useless.

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,
Rick
wx.oshlo.net

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
Re: SteelSeries Rain Gauges
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
Rick

1. Starting the imperial rain gauge scale at 0.5 inch is probably a good idea. You can try this yourself as a temporary patch... Around line 2660 in the setRainUnits() function (I'm looking at my updated 2.3.1 script) change
Code: [Select]
                _rrate.maxValue = 1;to
                _rrate.maxValue = 0.5;
2. OK, I'll look into that - no promises though :) Again a temporary patch for you would be to...
a. Comment out the line
            drawRRate();
in the doFirst() function 'around' line 1957
b. Remove (or comment out) the following div from the HTML
    <div id="tip_3" class="gauge">
      <canvas id="canvas_rrate" class="gaugeSizeStd"></canvas>
    </div>
Mark

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
Re: SteelSeries Rain Gauges
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the response. I tried both suggestions with limited success.

Regarding the rain gauge scale - Changing the rain.maxvalue to 0.5 in the setrainunits function (line 2621) had no effect. It apparently is being overridden by the max value math in the doRain function at line 1497 (v2.3.0). If I comment out the first imperial calculation (where rainvalue <6) and replace that with 0.5, it works (note I also had to change the rainscaledecimal to 2 in the setRainUnits function). Not knowing what the Math.Max and Math.Ceil calculations were doing in the doRain function, I just left it alone.

Regarding the deletion of the rain rate gauge - Your patch worked; however; it also killed the Wind Rose gauge. The gauge itself still appeared, including the cardinal points N W S W as did the odometer (displaying 0); however, the rest of the gauge was empty/blank. Apparently not calling drawRainRate is throwing something else off.

I really appreciate you looking into adjusting the daily rain scale for 2.3.1. Obviously, I agree that a 0-0.5 scale would be a better imperial default, but it does look like some adjustment in the doRain max calculations for inch scales will require an adjustment. Removal of the rain rate gauge is of much less interest and not really a big deal from my perspective.

Regards,
Rick