Author Topic: Hi from Tasmania, Australia  (Read 7215 times)

geoffmurray

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITASMANI96
    • Geoff Murray Wilderness and Landscape Photography
  • Station Details: Davis vantage Pro 2,wireless remote anemometer, non Davis wireless logger to iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i7 16Gb RAM SSD HD
Hi from Tasmania, Australia
« on: May 15, 2014, 03:03:33 AM »
Hi All,
I have recently joined this group and I am very pleased to have just got my Steel Series gauges working (mostly). They can be viewed here http://www.geoffmurray.com/steel/gauges-ss-basic.htm
I am using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station feeding info wirelessly to my 27" iMac through a custom made (non Davis) wireless datalogger.
My main passion is seakayaking and adventure travel, which is obviously heavily affected by the weather, particularly wind. But I find watching the weather in my own locale captivating as well.
I am a professional photographer and my website is at www.geoffmurray.com
My home state of Tasmania is a photographer's delight, but so are places further afield, such as Alaska, Iceland and Greenland :-)
Tasmania, being an island located at around 40?S in the Roaring Forties in the southern ocean, has a temperate maritime climate which is overall fairly moderate but with the occasional "event". We have had winds of up to 176 kph, highs of 42?C and lows of -13?C in the state but mostly it is a fairly moderate climate so it is a very pleasant place to live :-)
This forum obviously has a lot of very knowledgable and enthusiastic people on it and I am very happy to have been allowed to join it.
Geoff

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hi from Tasmania, Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 04:36:18 AM »
Geoff:

Welcome to the Cat from the mountains of northern Utah. You have some brilliant photos on your website. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
Hi Geoff,
welcome to this forum. Enjoy it!

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
Hi Geoff
 Welcome to the WeatherCat Forum
  Glad you made it a board have fun

cheers

[cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:00:34 PM »
Welcome Geoff!

I checked out one of your kayaking videos and was impressed by the beauty and the music! Very nice choice of music to go with exploring. I believe it was East Greenland late 2013.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome and share those photos! (Re: Hi from Tasmania, Australia)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
Dear Geoff and WeatherCat welcoming committee,

Let me add myself to the chorus!

I am using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station feeding info wirelessly to my 27" iMac through a custom made (non Davis) wireless datalogger.

You should be very happy with that setup.  It is popular around here.

My main passion is seakayaking and adventure travel, which is obviously heavily affected by the weather, particularly wind. But I find watching the weather in my own locale captivating as well.

Definitely a fun activity!

I am a professional photographer and my website is at www.geoffmurray.com
My home state of Tasmania is a photographer's delight, but so are places further afield, such as Alaska, Iceland and Greenland :-)

Yes indeed you have some very nice photos on your website - you are very gifted!

Something I suspect you will enjoy making is a banner of your local weather conditions like many of us have.  The instructions on how to set up a banner are in the WeatherCat manual starting on page 70.  I wrote a tutorial a while back on how to use a photo as the background that you will find on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Photo_to_active_banner_tutorial

I assume you'll get the idea in no time!

This forum obviously has a lot of very knowledgable and enthusiastic people on it and I am very happy to have been allowed to join it.

Thanks!  Great software seems to attract really neat people!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

geoffmurray

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITASMANI96
  • Station Details: Davis vantage Pro 2,wireless remote anemometer, non Davis wireless logger to iMac 27" 3.4Ghz i7 16Gb RAM SSD HD
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the greetings :-)
Eduard, I seem to be lacking the Banner Generator in my Tools and yet there is a plugin folder in the Weathercat download folder called BannerGenerator.bundle. How do I get that to operate?
Bull, East Greenland is the most gobsmacking place you could ever hope to visit. It is wild, spectacular and dangerous and is a place that instantly gets into your blood and draws you back to it. You would probably enjoy the 2012 video too, it has a couple of surprises in it!
Geoff

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »
Welcome Geoff!

I spent several years at the science station near Kaanerlusaq (spelling?  it's been a while) on the western side of Greenland, beautiful place.  And I've talked down your way a few times on Amateur Radio, most recently to a Ham in Ulverstone.  Really cool stuff down there!

Good luck and have fun with it!

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try installing WeatherCat again. (Re: Hi from Tasmania, Australia)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »
Hi Geoff and WeatherCat fans,

Eduard, I seem to be lacking the Banner Generator in my Tools and yet there is a plugin folder in the Weathercat download folder called BannerGenerator.bundle. How do I get that to operate?

So you aren't seeing this menu item in the tools menu?

It really should be there.  My recommendation is to just download a new copy of the entire WeatherCat application folder and replace the copy you have installed (after quitting of course.)  Did you install the entire folder or just the WeatherCat application?  If you want the plug-ins to work you need to copy the whole folder (documentation, examples, etc.) into your Applications folder.

Let us know if you still are having problems getting the banner generator to work.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

geoffmurray

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITASMANI96
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
Hi Doc, that would be Kangerlussuaq I imagine. I will return to Greenland one day.
I paddled past Ulverstone last week :-)

Thanks Edouard, I reckon you have spotted the problem, I only put the app into the Applications folder. I will redownload and do it properly.
Geoff

breno

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW5641
    • IQLDCAPA2
    • Capalaba Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Hello from Brisbane.  I'm just a little jealous of your location, I've spent much time in Tasmania and would love to relocate there one day.  I know the New Norfolk area pretty well but not sure Ive been to Lachlan.

Gwyfyn1

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue; iMac 27"
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »
Hi Tasmania from Wales the other side of the world!!

You wll find a great bunch of guys on this site, who are knowledgable and very helpful. You won't regret joining.

Bryan

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »

You wll find a great bunch of guys on this site, ... .

And gals!   [bounce]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 12:11:30 AM »
And gals!

Including those in the background, like my wife, who has veto power over my weather-related purchases.
Blick

geoffmurray

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITASMANI96
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 12:46:33 PM »
Hi Gentle Breeze, where in Wales? I have visited the Holyhead region a number of times as it is a sea kayaking Mecca. Fantastic place to paddle but definitely rather WET!
Geoff