Author Topic: Latest growl and OS X notifications - what's the latest thinking?  (Read 2686 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat fans,

After all, spring has sprung around here, so I thought it was time to finally ditch Snow Leopard  [freeze] and try out a warmer cat: Mountain Lion  [cat].  So all of a sudden I've got Apple's notification center and honestly, I don't like it.  I much prefer the simpler and cleaner Growl notifications I was used to.  That brings me to the question at hand.  I suppose I would need to upgrade to GrowlTunes to get my iTunes songs displayed the way I like them.  However, that forces me to upgrade to the later versions of Growl.

What are the opinions these days?  Clearly the older versions of Growl to work on Mountain Lion and some of you have not upgraded.  On the other hand, having some integration with Apple's software would be handy. 

What's the consensus?  Is upgrading to the newer Growl a good idea or bad?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Latest growl and OS X notifications - what's the latest thinking?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:42:55 AM »
Hi Edouard
 With the new Growl you have a roll up window so you don't clutter up your screen with notications

[cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Latest growl and OS X notifications - what's the latest thinking?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 02:37:04 AM »
I upgraded to the new (paid) Growl about a year ago. You get used to it quickly, and it works great with all of your AppleScripts.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hi Randall, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

Okay, I'll take your word for it and upgrade.  I definitely miss Growl handling iTunes and I have been curious about the roll-up window feature for a while.

Thanks for your input!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

;)  . . . . P.S. Do ya' think I should correct that expired credit card on my Apple store account first?  . .   [lol2]