Author Topic: WeatherCat and macOS High Sierra 10.13 GM Candidate  (Read 3956 times)

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 with UV and Solar sensors. 2017 27" iMac, 3.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
WeatherCat and macOS High Sierra 10.13 GM Candidate
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
Today I downloaded and installed Silabs USB to UART driver 5.01.

I then rebooted my machine and WeatherCat worked without a problem.

I then downloaded and installed macOS High Sierra 10.13 GM Candidate (GM = Gold Master).

WeatherCat is running without a problem, albeit only for the last 4 hours (the time since I upgraded).

I realize, only one data point, but maybe the rest of you can be hopeful.

ThU32:-)

Hugh

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat and macOS High Sierra 10.13 GM Candidate
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
Thanks for the post. We are getting closer to Apple's release time.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks! (Re: WeatherCat and macOS High Sierra 10.13 GM Candidate)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »
Thanks Hugh for the data point.

Good to know!  :)

Cheers, Edouard

ColdnFrosty

• Strong Breeze
    • AS918
    • KNHSTRAT15
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, iMac Pro, MacOS Ventura 13.5.1, WC 3.2.0 (364)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »
I am running High Sierra here as well, and since installation, Weathercat has been hanging about every 30-32 min and then rebooting.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Running the latest driver? (Re: WeatherCat and macOS High Sierra)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:05:45 PM »
Dear ColdnFrosty and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I am running High Sierra here as well, and since installation, Weathercat has been hanging about every 30-32 min and then rebooting.

I suppose that everything was working fine on the older version of macOS.  Have you updated to the latest driver for your Davis station?  You can find more information on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2550.0

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 with UV and Solar sensors. 2017 27" iMac, 3.5 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »

I am curious. I have had some WeatherCat crashes (not many) but it has never rebooted by itself. I always have to restart manually or click on the restart button. (I assume it says restart ... whatever the macOS crash report option is.)

Also, as Edouard says, have you updated to the latest drivers.

One other suggestion. macOS provides a crash report when an application crashes. If you could post the crash report it might help others diagnose your problem.

I'm sure that I and others in this thread would help if we can.

Hugh

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Monitor and restart option. (Re: WeatherCat and macOS High Sierra)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:27:42 PM »
Dear Hugh and WeatherCat fans of all of da' Cat's features.

I am curious. I have had some WeatherCat crashes (not many) but it has never rebooted by itself. I always have to restart manually or click on the restart button. (I assume it says restart ... whatever the macOS crash report option is.)

WeatherCat has an option to monitor the application and restart it if need be.  However you need to enable it in the WeatherCat preferences.  You'll find that setting in the Preferences ? Units/Misc1 pane of the WeatherCat preferences.  That pane is described in the WeatherCat manual starting about page 160.

It is desirable to have this feature turned on.  You never know when a crash might happen and this keeps WeatherCat going even if the crash happens in the middle of the night.

Cheers, Edouard

Hugh Whalen

• Gentle Breeze
    • INBFLOWE2
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:01:52 AM »
I have enabled that. Thanks for the information.

Hugh

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »
I see today's edition of TidBits has a story titled "Initial High Sierra Release Won't Support APFS on Fusion Drives."

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
APFS and Fusion drives link (Re: macOS High Sierra 10.13)
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 11:30:48 PM »
Dear Felix and WeatherCat followers of Apple news,

I see today's edition of TidBits has a story titled "Initial High Sierra Release Won't Support APFS on Fusion Drives."

Here is a link to the article for the rest of us:

http://tidbits.com/article/17471

That's definitely disappointing.  Whatever the problem is, Apple should have found it long before the public beta.

Oh well, . . . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 06:52:24 AM »
Thanks for the heads Felix and the article link Edouard. I've got a Fusion Drive and had not heard about this yet.
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 03:07:20 PM »
When I was deciding what I wanted for my new imac,   the additional 700$  was the decision not to go with the ssd , but the fusion instead.   So now that the touted file system won't be loaded when High Sierra come out tomorrow,  led me to do some digging.

Apple plans on releasing the file system for fusion drives when they get it working.  So the release tomorrow for the fusion, only changes some of the apps.

Whatever the issue is coming for Weathercat and the MACOSX update,  it is coming, but not sure when.   
For me, my only concern is, will the apps work depending on the file system.  I am guessing that when the working edition comes about for us fusion folks,  it will be a whole package as well
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Caution on APFS (Re: macOS High Sierra 10.13 GM Candidate)
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
Dear Blick, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

Be extra cautious with upgrading to High Sierra because of the way Apple is forcing Apple File System with the upgrade.  Take a look at this thread I started:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2566.0

Apple is doing something that really needs to be bullet-proof and I'm personally very concerned about it because until now Apple has relied on something well-proven: the UNIX file system.  Our Macs have hundreds of thousands of files typically and many applications use the file system as a sort of database, further overloaded the file catalogs.  A UNIX file system very rarely gets corrupted, but OS X is now much more likely to have corruption creep into it. 

The 64-question is how well Apple has designed the High Sierra file system migration to deal with the possibility that your existing file system has some corruption.  Even if the High Sierra upgrades perfectly at the Apple store, if your file system gets seriously damaged in the attempt to upgrade, you may have a horrible time trying to recover.

Anyone contemplating upgrading to High Sierra should seriously consider first running at least Apple's Disk First Aid (preferably something more potent like Tech Tool Pro.)  Once you've done everything you could to eliminate any errors in the file catalog, I recommend making sure your Time Machine backup is current, reformatting your working hard drive using High Sierra, and then restoring your computer from your Time Machine backup.  Going about the long way will do everything possible to avoid losing anything in the change from the UNIX file system to APFS.

Cheers, Edouard