Author Topic: Good to be Here!  (Read 2757 times)

sgard9

• Calm
Good to be Here!
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »
Hi All,

My name is Scott. I'm very happy to see Stu back in the Mac weather software business. I am currently running LWC 2.10 on a 1.83GHz Mac Mini core 2 duo, OSX 10.6.8. Looking forward to moving to 10.7.3 and WeatherCat very soon. My station is a Davis Vantage Pro which has been in operation for over 10 years now, first in San Jose, California and now in the Sierra foothills between Auburn and Grass Valley, California since 2005. My weather data is uploaded to CWOP and my ID is: CW5488.

In general I consider my usage of weather software very basic. Besides CWOP, I also upload the LWC basic graphs and gauges to a community web site. I have not taken the time to implement any custom web or applescript features, but would like to do that when & if I get the time. Since I have no web site creation experience at this time, I assume it would be a significant effort for me.

I have been a Mac user since the Mac Plus. That first Mac was an office Mac provided by my employer. For home use I started with a TI99/4 at a close out sale price of $49.99. Next came an Atari 520st, Atari Mega 2 st, then my first personal Mac a Iici, also purchased at a close out deal through my employer. Since then it has been Mac after Mac after Mac. My latest is an 27" iMac core i7, 2.93GHz.

As far as weather software is concerned, I started with WeatherLink, then moved to WeatherTracker when it became available. When WeatherTracker became unsupported, it wasn't long before I discovered the LWC beta program. LWC was pretty impressive and after several beta versions, I was more than happy to be an early purchaser of the released version. This has been one very solid piece of software! Of course I had some anxious moments when I learned that Stu was taking a break from further development, but I know that sometimes proprieties change and you just have to do what you have to do. Anyway, it is really great to see Stu re-emerge and I sincerely hope that this new direction will work out very well for him. I look forward to be involved in the beta program and and to become a registered user of WeatherCat when that option is available.

-- Scott --

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome aboard!! (Re: Good to be Here!)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 02:24:47 AM »
Hello Scott and by all means welcome!!    [cheer]

My station is a Davis Vantage Pro which has been in operation for over 10 years now, first in San Jose, California and now in the Sierra foothills between Auburn and Grass Valley, California since 2005. My weather data is uploaded to CWOP and my ID is: CW5488.

Excellent choice on weather station and obviously it has already serviced you very well!  You are certainly located in a nice corner of California.  I used to visit relatives around there and always enjoyed the trip.

In general I consider my usage of weather software very basic. Besides CWOP, I also upload the LWC basic graphs and gauges to a community web site. I have not taken the time to implement any custom web or applescript features, but would like to do that when & if I get the time. Since I have no web site creation experience at this time, I assume it would be a significant effort for me.

Fortunately, there are some already completed web templates that you can just download and install if that is what you would like.  Also some of them can be edited with what you see is what you get software (WYISWYG).  So if you find something that is "close" but needs a little tweaking, you can do that too.

I have been a Mac user since the Mac Plus.

You beat me, I got my first Mac in 1988.  It was a spanking new off the line Mac II!

For home use I started with a TI99/4 at a close out sale price of $49.99.

The first family computer we had while I was bearly in college was a Texas Instrument Professional Computer. (TIPC.)  I was an evangelist for that computer for over 5 years before I could see I was licked!!

As far as weather software is concerned, I started with WeatherLink, then moved to WeatherTracker when it became available. When WeatherTracker became unsupported, it wasn't long before I discovered the LWC beta program. LWC was pretty impressive and after several beta versions, I was more than happy to be an early purchaser of the released version. This has been one very solid piece of software! Of course I had some anxious moments when I learned that Stu was taking a break from further development, but I know that sometimes proprieties change and you just have to do what you have to do. Anyway, it is really great to see Stu re-emerge and I sincerely hope that this new direction will work out very well for him. I look forward to be involved in the beta program and and to become a registered user of WeatherCat when that option is available.

You have had quite a journey on weather software as well!!  Sure glad you waited for Stu to come up with the first versions of LWC.  Indeed your patience has been well rewarded.  You'll be happy with da' Cat!!  [cat]

Again welcome!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard

P.S.  If you are curious about matter Mac and Weather in general, you might want to check out MacWeather.net.  It started out as a "lifeboat" for LWC fans and is hoping to outgrow that to become something more general.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Good to be Here!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
Hi Scott - welcome to the forum!

Cheers,
Stu.