Author Topic: Hej from SW Sweden  (Read 2573 times)

maxen

• Gentle Breeze
Hej from SW Sweden
« on: December 06, 2015, 02:06:48 PM »
Hejsan

I have already made an introduction light in another thread, but here goes the longer story. [computer]

Real name is Robert, I'm 38yo as of today and live on the south west coast of Sweden, near the city Halmstad. I work as a Biomed. Engineer at the local hospital.

I have always found weather fascinating and like to fiddle with measurement technology, electronics and tech-things in general. The step to connect these areas is therefore quite straightforward. I bought a "real" weatherstation around 2000. The price was appealing, but again; you get what you pay for. It lived almost as long as the warranty, and needed a number of repairs. So I saved up to buy a Davis Vantage Pro in November 2004. Around that date it was also possible to apply and sign up for broadband internet here (instead of dial up modem). So my Davis has been on the web since the "beginning", with various addresses during time. Local people seem to like it. If the site goes down for some reason they look me up and wonder when it is back online. The VP is still ticking and have only needed minor repairs apart from maintenance.

I have used different computers, servers, software and solutions over time, including Davis Weatherlink, WsWin32, Cumulus for Windows and wview and vproweather for Linux. As my interest in Windows decreased when they introduced version 8 and over I bought a Mac Mini in springtime 2015. WeatherCat looked like pretty much the only option for Mac, but it seems to work really nice!

I have always self-hosted my web site using some kind of server. I used Linux until recently when I switched to a Synology NAS. The Internet connection was ADSL up to 2013, when a fiber connection was installed instead.

Today my weather can be found at: http://vader.vilsharad.net

See you around! [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Hej from SW Sweden
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
Welcome maxen from Sweden! Glad you could join us. We need all the weather watching brain power we can get.

My name is Herb, from Arkansas, a small state in a medium sized country that is friends with a lovely land called Canada! And by the way, everyone around here loves Sweden, but no one knows anything about it. Go figure! I guess it's just testament to the great personalities of the wonderful Swedes who've been nice enough to visit.

[lol2]
Welcome!
Herb

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
Another warm welcome, Robert!

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:50:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum maxen.

Interesting that you mention Synology - we use them here (a 3612xs with a 1512 for backup) - lots of iSCSI based VM's running lots of WeatherCat's. We also use them for the update server and private development forums. Great machines.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome Robert!! (Re: Hej from SW Sweden)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »
Welcome Robert!

Thanks for already contributing something to our community! . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:45:24 AM »
Welcome Robert. I have been to Sweden (if Stockholm counts). I have also been to Gothenburg. Beautiful country. Thanks for posting a little more information about you and your weather station.

I took a look at your weather website. Very clean and tidy. I always enjoy finding another use of the SteelSeries Gauges.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »
Hi Robert, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum. There are a lot of friendly, helpful folk here.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

ParadisBlanc

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Hej-Hej,

Welcome Robert from Sweden.

I did spend some times in Sweden as well when I worked for A-Brand-New-World and Repeat-it in the early 2000's.
I remember lots of  [beer] after  [computer] .

maxen

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »
Thanks alot for all the warm welcoming, guys! [cheers1]