Author Topic: Greetings from the Pre-Alps in the South Of France  (Read 3153 times)

ParadisBlanc

Greetings from the Pre-Alps in the South Of France
« on: November 12, 2015, 10:59:59 PM »
Hello everyone,
my real name is Eric and it's pleasure to join you on this forum.

Paradis Blanc is actually the name of my house, located on the famous "French Riviera":

[sweat]

I'm sure you just thought (Monaco, Nice, Cannes) but hold-on!
The french Riviera is nothing more than a very steep mountain going into the sea.

Some some live at the bottom, on the coast (expensive, crowded, noisy, hot & polluted),
[sweat2]
And others live at the top, in the mountains (forests, space, visible stars, cool & pure),
[snow]
it's just 1h from the coast (where I'm actually working), still I get snow (plenty) and cold temperatures (-10C typical) during the winter.

I'm an engineer in a worldwide well known smartphone company ( [banghead] )
and I like to play with electronic devices of any kind ( [rockon] )
so I bought myself a WMR200 station to start with and will use WC to collect the data.

So far, for testing and usage, I split the station into pieces:
  • the main temp/humidity sensor at the far end of the house, to test the link range in bad weather conditions
  • the rain collector in my wife's kitchen garden, where else ?
  • an auxiliary temp/humidity sensor in the home-made greenhouse
  • the anemometer is in the garden for the moment (useless), I want to check what happens to it in snowing conditions
My house is actually surrounded by trees (and protected from the wind, more or less), yet the road down the house (25 meters away) is aligned with the narrow exit of a very large plain (venturi effect) and can be very windy. When I'm familiar enough with the station and WC, I intend to move the anemometer down the house and record the data properly.

The goal is to check whether {this} is a possibility to investigate.
 [interesting]

But it's a very long term project,
very short term is more like  [beer]

Cheers, Eric

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Greetings from the Pre-Alps in the South Of France)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 12:59:48 AM »
Dear Eric and WeatherCat welcome committee,

Sorry, I'm really late today, so I'll have to read your post tomorrow, but let me quickly welcome you to the WeatherCat forum!!

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Greetings from the Pre-Alps in the South Of France
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 02:59:28 AM »
Eric:

Welcome to the WeatherCat Forum. I have been to the French Riviera coastline and it is stunningly beautiful.

Tree Wind sounds interesting. Keep us informed.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 03:40:12 PM »
Welcome, Eric!

It sounds like you live in a wonderful place! I've watched V shows on the resort cities along the French Riviera, and my first thought is how crowded and expensive everything must be. I watch European bicycle racing, and love the scenery going through the small mountain villages.

It sounds like your setup is well thought out. You will find WeatherCat very flexible to work with without having a really steep learning curve. Some of the add ons and templates can be intimidating at first, but most of the creators of those templates are here on the forum. And the rest of us are a helpful, friendly bunch, too!

I'm glad you found us,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, Eric!

The weather reporting is always fine here!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »
Thanks for stopping by Eric! Welcome to the forum!

If you need help with anything, or just want someone to use as a sounding board to hear yourself think, keep us in mind and don't hesitate to ask. We love trying to solve other people's puzzles and help them spend their money. It is what we do best!

[cheers1]
Herb

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
Hello Eric,

welcome aboard!

Just heard about what had happened in Paris, I want to tell you and all french people my deepest sympathy.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

ParadisBlanc

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
Thank you all for your kind welcome and sympathy.
Forum: a place where people can exchange opinions and ideas on a particular issue.
Exchange implies respect and dialog, on the contrary to bullets.
In the US, you have: "E pluribus unum", haven't you, which fits well with "liberte, egalite, fraternite".
My parents have not seen it happen, I have not seen it happen, I doubt my children will see it happen but I still hope that my grand-children will see the time when human kind will indeed be "one from many".

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »
Well said, Eric.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.

maxen

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
Bon Jour, Eric

You live in a beautiful area. I was visiting there earlier this year by motorcycle (yes, it was a quite long trip), passed the crowded, hot and polluted "riviera". You forgot to mention how expensive it also is there! We ended up in Avignon for a few days before heading back via Grenoble.

Take care and Sk?l! [cheers1]