Author Topic: Re-sizing attached image  (Read 4427 times)

macdengig

• Calm
    • IQCLAVAL10
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro with heated rain collector, late 2006 iMac running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion), WeatherCat 2.4.4
Re-sizing attached image
« on: October 12, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
Hello Admin,

Sorry, but I am a newbie tou your forum.

I attached a photo of my "Weather Shack" to my last post, but it came out HUGE!
I re-sized the photo but now,
It seems that one can edit the text of a post, but can you delete the attached image and put another one?

Alternatively, i can totally delete my last post and re-post it with the correct image size.

Suggestion ?

Cheers,

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Delete old attachment and replace with new. (Re: Re-sizing attached image)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »
Dear macdengig and WeatherCat users who have a camera and aren't afraid to use it.

I attached a photo of my "Weather Shack" to my last post, but it came out HUGE!
I re-sized the photo but now,
It seems that one can edit the text of a post, but can you delete the attached image and put another one?

Alternatively, i can totally delete my last post and re-post it with the correct image size.
. . . .

It is a bit counter-intuitive, but all you need to do is delete the original photo that you attached and then replace it with scaled image.  Go to your posting (here is a direct link:)

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=3030.msg29365#msg29365

Click on the modify posting button which is on the right edge across from the subject.  This will bring up the same text that you entered.  Click on the Attachments and other options hotlink at the bottom of the text entry window.  That will display the existing attachments and allow to add others.  Your large image should be present at the top of the possible attachments.  There is a delete or remove button (I don't member the exact phrasing.)  Click on that to remove the image that you find objectionably large.  Once that's done, you can then attach the image that you had rescaled.  Save your changes and that should replace the large image with the one you prefer.

Let us know if that does the trick for you or not.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Re-sizing attached image
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 02:04:23 AM »
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, macdengig!!! ThU5:-) ThU32:-) [headbang] It is maddening to me to see so many images posted here with absolute disregard from the space wasted on Stu?s servers and users workload. We are benefiting from Stu?s great software. This forum is a big bonus! The least we can do is reduce the space used on his servers.

It is so easy to reduce the size of an image before attaching it in any forum. You can even use Preview, for crying out loud!!! You don?t need to even download a free app!

Apparently I am the only member who does not run their browser at full screen. I suspect some images would still require the maddening need for horizontal scrolling even then.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
SmugMug is a really nice solution. (Re: Re-sizing attached image)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:08:32 PM »
Dear X-Air, macdengig, and WeatherCat fans of photos in forum postings,

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, macdengig!!! ThU5:-) ThU32:-) [headbang] It is maddening to me to see so many images posted here with absolute disregard from the space wasted on Stu?s servers and users workload. We are benefiting from Stu?s great software. This forum is a big bonus! The least we can do is reduce the space used on his servers.

If you want a "super deluxe" way to manage your forum pictures, there are online photo gallery services and make it easy to insert photos in forum postings.  Our own Steve Morris got me hooked on SmugMug.  It is a paid service, but it provides unlimited online storage of your photos and some really nice way to display your photos on a number of social media services.  All your photos are uploaded at full resolution, and SmugMug does the scaling for you to order.  Here is a screenshot of how you generate the BBS code to insert a photo into a forum posting:

Here is the resulting photo inserted into this forum posting:

Just copy the codes from the SmugMug window and paste it into your forum posting - done!

Flickr used to have a similar capability before they were purchased by SmugMug.  One of these days I'm going to see if that functionality has been maintained.  If so, that would be a free way to manage your photos online and have an elegant way to insert photos in forum postings.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 11:54:37 PM »
Eduardo, Preview is free and installed on every Mac since at least 10.3(?). And it?s already paid for. ThU32:-)

Many free ?photo storing? sites used to be around, but I don?t know of any now that allow ?hot-syncing?.  [rolleyes2]  [banghead]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Comprehensive online solution. (Was: Re-sizing attached image)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 11:18:35 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat faithful,

Eduardo, Preview is free and installed on every Mac since at least 10.3(?). And it?s already paid for. ThU32:-)

But that's missing out on the whole advantage of SmugMug.  Sure, you can resize images for every online site you use, but that gets tedious in a hurry.  I upload every image to SmugMug at full resolution, and SmugMug provides a link on each scaled photo so people can view the full-resolution image if desired.  On the WeatherCat forum I use 1024x768 images.  The 65GS.com forum limits images to 800x600.  Simply select the image size you want and SmugMug will tailor the image and BBS code for the particular forum - no extra work for you!  In addition, SmugMug has special tools for uploading photos to Facebook and Twitter.  For someone who takes a lot of photos and likes to share them, SmugMug is a huge time saver.

Many free ?photo storing? sites used to be around, but I don?t know of any now that allow ?hot-syncing?.  [rolleyes2]  [banghead]

Yes indeed, there are more online photos sharing websites than you can shake a stick at.  There is even a free website that exists solely for the purpose of hosting images to be posted on forums - postimages.org:

https://postimages.org/

These folks have been around for 15 years!  However, these free sites are vulnerable to disappearing as economic conditions change.  I would like to recommend a site that has some serious management behind them.  That is why I continue to look.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »
Thanks, Edouard, for your conscientious attitude and fine administrative work here. ThU5:-) ;D