Author Topic: Hello from Cape Breton-Nova Scotia  (Read 2125 times)

saerc

• Calm
  • Station Details: MacMini 10.8.4
Hello from Cape Breton-Nova Scotia
« on: July 29, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

I'm a communications technology teacher the Strait Area Education-Recreation Centre (SAERC) in Port Hawkesbury Nova Scotia. I operate and manage a tech lab that would be considered somewhat independent from the main high school. We are self-funded rather than receiving funds from the school board or Province.
I believe all schools should have a weather station. I just bought a new MacMini with the latest OS (10.8.4 or Mountain Lion) and can't get the WeatherCat software to see the Davis Vantage Pro2. Tried all the suggestions in the pop-up diagnostic window including powering down, removing batteries and disconnect the USB. The set up window does seem to see it as the correct unit, but no communications between the unit and the software. I don't have much time or much patience. I will visit the different rooms in the forum seeking advice, but any quick words would be appreciated.
thanks,
John Stub

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Hello from Cape Breton-Nova Scotia
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:49:29 PM »
Hi John, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you need to install the Silicon Labs USB drivers for your data-logger. Download the latest driver from: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx (version 3.1 is current) and install it - it'll probably ask you to reboot once it's finished installing. If it doesn't, reboot the computer anyway.

Once installed, you need to select it as the Comms Port WeatherCat will use - see attached image.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Hello from Cape Breton-Nova Scotia)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:17:41 PM »
Welcome John to the WeatherCat forum! 

Stu's advice is probably just the ticket to get your system working.  However, in case you run into any other surprises there is a list of trouble-shooting tips on the Davis stations on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Davis

Davis stations are the most popular among the WeatherCat faithful.  They can take a little horsing around to get started, but once they start working they are tough as nails.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]