Author Topic: iOS Client Bugs  (Read 12219 times)

SeanA

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3381
    • INLANARK2
    • northlanarkshireweather.co.uk
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments Vantage VUE /MAC MINI/WeatherCat
Re: iOS Client Bugs
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 10:16:33 AM »
Make sure you have reserved your computer address on the router.
Make sure the account Dyndns IP address is that of the computer you are using for the IOS.

Cheers
Sean [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
This happened to me just last week. After checking port forwarding and finding everything was set correct, I used the Network Utility in OS X to check the ports and they were not being forwarded. I turned off my router and let it sit for 60 seconds, After I restarted it, I then restarted WeatherCat and the iOS client started working again.

When you very first start the 'Cat, its log gives you one message that tells you that it was able to bind to one of those ports (usually the first one in the range), or it tells you that it was unable to bind to any of those ports.

Bottom line is that if the iOS client is not working it can only be that either the ports aren't forwarded or the setting for your IP address is wrong in the app.
Blick

staze

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9669
    • KORSPRIN10
    • Everybody Staze...
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Envoy, Meteobridge Nano SD, Mac Mini Server (2018)
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »
Yeah, it's not the router. As I said, the Desktop client works fine. Just did a port scan, and 49250 is open and forwarding. Server has a static IP within my network.

I did manage to get it to work by turning off wifi (so it works on cellular), but that makes no sense since again, the Desktop client works fine on the SAME wifi network as the iOS client doesn't. Turning wifi back on breaks the connection again, but all the while, the Desktop client works fine.

Do we know if it's doing anything different than the Desktop client as relates to establishing the connection? Any kind of excess DNS queries, etc?
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

staze

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9669
    • KORSPRIN10
    • Everybody Staze...
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Envoy, Meteobridge Nano SD, Mac Mini Server (2018)
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »
Found the issue. Wifi network is being provided by a Comcast cable modem, which for the firewall settings had "block peer-to-peer applications", which apparently the iOS application triggers, but the desktop app does not.

Ah well, disabled that block, and it works fine now. Hopefully that'll help someone else.

Thanks!
"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?"

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
I added a sentence to the Wiki about this. However, that sentence may need to be tweaked. Check it out at http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Client_Troubleshooting
Blick

staze

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9669
    • KORSPRIN10
    • Everybody Staze...
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
I added a sentence to the Wiki about this. However, that sentence may need to be tweaked. Check it out at http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Client_Troubleshooting

Cool, thanks. I'm kind of curious why the iOS app gets blocked, but the desktop app doesn't.