Author Topic: MacWeather forum  (Read 8035 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: MacWeather forum
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:59 PM »
Hi Steve
 Checked again just now this is what it shows
Oh well it was fun while it lasted Barzi must of had a reason
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Get another IP address? (Re: MacWeather forum)
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:23 PM »
Howdy Randall, Steve, and former MacWeather folks,

Checked again just now this is what it shows

The two reasons I can imagine 1.) it was simply a mistake, or 2.) is that somehow the IP address that you were using Randall was also used by a spammer.  Most ISPs give dynamic addresses and you could have been assigned an address that was used in the past by a spammer.  You could just disconnect from your ISP for a few minute and then reconnect to get a new IP address and that would probably solve the problem.

However, When Barzi has a chance, he should put MacWeather out of its misery.  Sorry to leave this last burden on him, but I hope he can make quick work of it.

Thanks to everyone who did make MacWeather the success it was for the time it had in the sun.    Without it, WeatherCat would have had a much harder time reclaiming the old LWC following.  [cat]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re:Get another IP address- MacWeather forum
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »
Hi Edouard
 You are probably right no be deal I had just been trying to delete all the spam on there along with Steve. I think it should be just a read only forum for a little while then deleted
 [cheers1]
Update: Ok Edouard did what you said and it worked [cheer]

Why don't you run for President of the USA [biggrin]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
What do you think I am - crazy!! (Re:Get another IP address)
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 10:37:57 PM »
Howdy Randall and WeatherCat fans,  . . . . .  [cat]

Why don't you run for President of the USA [biggrin]

;) What's the matter with ya'!!

Okay, I might be a little eccentric  ;D, but I'm not crazy!
  :o

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 12:09:03 AM »
Hi Edouard
 i bet you could do a better job than what's happening right now [tup]
 [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 09:08:48 PM »
Barzi locked the MacWeather.net forum this morning. I posted the following over on the WXforum Mac sub forum:

MacWeather.net was originally created when the old Lightsoft Weather Center software business and forum went dormant. It was a place for LWC users to continue development of templates and to help new users get started. It eventually became a place for Mac weather software users of any flavor to congregate.

With the release of Trixology's WeatherCat (the re-invented LWC) last year, almost all of the LWC users moved over to the Trixology forum. Since then, participation on MacWeather.net has dwindled to one or two posts a month, and spam has increased dramatically. This morning, the forum owner decided to close MacWeather.net and will redirect the URL to the Trixology forum.

I have saved several of the LWC help topics, so if anyone has anything in particular you need, let me know and I'll see if I have it.

Thanks for participating over there,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks Barzi and Steve (Re: MacWeather forum)
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
Dear fellow voyagers from LWC to WeatherCat,

Thanks Barzi and Steve for at least bringing an end to the craziness at MacWeather.net.  Hopefully, anyone going there would find this forum eventually and can be given directions as to where they can get their questions answered.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »
The MacWeather URL now resolves to the WeatherCat forum.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Barzi

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4725
    • IFRIBURG2
    • M?t?o Sommentier
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue | WeatherLink USB MAC | Mac Mini end 2009 with 500 Gb SSD & Mac OS 10.11
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
Hi all,

Macweather.net redirect now to this forum.

It's a shame, but it's spammer fault! Macweather moderators have done a really great and hard job. But, for one "real" post, we had 99 spams! I've tried many anti-spams plugins. It seems, that phpbb as a real problem with spammers. I really have less problems with all my Simple Machines forum.

It's not fair, that our moderator must just take much time to fight for spam. In a perfect world, this time would be better used to post interesting message on the forum!

For now, the macweather.net domain name redirect here; most of the Macweather mebers use WeatherCat.

The forum was not erased! I just need 10 minutes to put it online again.

I can put it online again, with a read-only mode, if you think it's usefull. But:

I think, that a forum need a critical mass. Stu is back, with the great WeatherCat. We now should help the WeatherCat forum. This forum IS our Mac weather community.

I think, we don't need any more Macweather.net forum.

What is your opinion about it?

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
Hi Barzi
 I would have like to seen it as a read only forum with a message in the header about for more infomation on weather on the mac see trixology.com until it it is time for the web hosting renewal ther's alot of good info listed there
thanks for every thing do have done us during this time
randall75

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Not redirecting and "lost stuff"? (Re: MacWeather forum)
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
Hi Barzi and fellow MacWeather refugees,

Macweather.net redirect now to this forum.

Sorry to report, but at least I'm not being redirected to WeatherCat.  I think it should do that, but right now I'm getting "This board is currently disabled" message on the MacWeather page.

For now, the macweather.net domain name redirect here; most of the Macweather members use WeatherCat.

I agree, there were very few MacWeather users who weren't LWC/WeatherCat users.  If such folks are redirected here and are confused, Let's make a point to forward them to Steve's section on WXForum if they have questions about something other than WeatherCat.

The forum was not erased! I just need 10 minutes to put it online again.

I can put it online again, with a read-only mode, if you think it's useful.

You know, perhaps even this isn't necessary.  It is the nature of a forum that you have to restate the same answers over and over.  Honestly, I cannot think of anything that I would need to refer to MacWeather for.  If there is a question that we once answered on MacWeather, we'll do the research again and redo the answer.  What we all should try to do more of is add stuff to the WeatherCat Wiki.  That's a better way to provide a single answer to a common problem.

Barzi, if you park the contents of MacWeather on a hard-drive, that would be nice, but even that is probably unnecessary.  We have all moved on, it is time to abandon the MacWeather.net lifeboat.

Thanks Barzi for all your hard work on MacWeather.net.   You took on a mighty task when you were already way too busy.  Appreciate your help during that dark time in between LWC and WeatherCat.   [tup]