Author Topic: WeatherCat on your Desktop  (Read 15096 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Windows don't return to Spaces on reboot. (Re: WeatherCat on your Desktop)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 12:53:56 AM »

It is a very neat feature, but alas Apple has gotten sloppy with Spaces like so many things these days.  So instead of providing a complete API so that Stu could remember which space you left a WeatherCat window, there is no such facility.  As a result, when you restart WeatherCat all your windows will end up in a single space

If you want all of your WeatherCat windows in a single specific Space, simply right-click on the WeatherCat icon in the dock, select Options, and then the specific Space. Now, if you have some windows on one Space, and others on another Space, this of course won't work.

I use DelayedLauncher to open the dozen or so applications I have running all the time, and they all open in their appropriate Space.

Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: WeatherCat on your Desktop
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 12:56:47 AM »
I'll second what Steve said. To keep from mixing up your WC windows and gauges with the other windows associated with other applications, simply assign WC to a specific space. Then after you locate all of WC's windows in different spaces all organized and purdy, restart the computer (or wait until the next incident that requires restarting). All of the WC windows will default to the assigned space for WC on restart. Type Control-(up arrow), and selectively drag the WC gauges and charts to their respectively chosen Spaces thumbnails. Only drag the ones that belong elsewhere. If you have an easily recognizable organizational framework, such as all gauges on one Spaces page and all 1 day charts on another, then recovery from a restart will go rather quickly.

Best wishes!
 [cheers1]
Herb

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 12:06:58 PM »
Hello Herb,
done as you and Steve mentioned me to do. Assigned WC a space (Desktop 1) and after upgrading to 10.10.1 I had to restart the Mac. All WC windows are shown in the assigned space, and it was quite easy to drag the graphs to their belonging space that I used to see them before. The miracle is that the graphs know their place in the space - just drag them to the space and let them "fly".  [bounce] Really cool and easy!
Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 08:05:42 PM »
It's time to wake Reinhard's thread up! Everyone should have gotten adjusted to WC 2 by now. How do you display WeatherCat on your desktop now?

I moved WC into my older, 2008, 24" iMac. It doesn't have a Thunderbolt port, so the second monitor is not used. However, with much less borrowing of time on this computer now, since the 2011 model is much faster, WC windows are no longer in the way of doing other things, and Spaces still keeps charts segregated by range. So, in the interest of efficiency of Stu's hard disk space, here is how I've rearranged my gauges. Everything else is pretty much the same.

[cheers1]

Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 11:14:19 PM »
I usually have my desktop covered with numerous windows from multiple apps. Not much room for many gauges, pretty as they are. When the Desktop image is visible, it's one of my own images, usually not suitable for a background for nice round gauges! So I just use Stu's client window running. If it gets covered up, I can always do a command-tab to get it back in view. :)

WC is actually running on a headless mini, so I don't even have those nice gauges on its invisible desktop! [blush]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 11:20:23 PM »
Well, that is one of the drawbacks to going headless.  [coffee] Tell me again, why you have a weather station?

[lol2]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 11:57:47 PM »
Tell me again, why you have a weather station?
So I can create another website and monitor my backyard weather no matter where I am in the world! I used to travel a lot in my job, so I always wanted to know if my backyard was still there and if the grass was growing. Now I don't travel so much, but gathering that same info would require walking to the back of the house. Doing that could mean I miss a good cat video! [banghead] [woohoo]

Sharing it with the neighborhood and WU, PWS, etc. is purely secondary. :P

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 02:57:49 AM »
Just poking a little fun? Only reason I'd see it that way is 'cause I don't do a website. I started out trying to, and I got flummoxed by FTP. That made me decide that I'm better off spending my time on things I understand. So, I bought a cement mixer and built some steps. ? Well, one step, ? and a walkway. A short one. But, the step was over a concrete bridge that the water runs through when it rains.

Happy New Year!
 [rockon]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 04:13:14 AM »
I'm better off spending my time on things I understand
That would be S000ooo limiting for me! So I'm extremely busy trying to do even a quarter of the things I don't understand! I still buy "instructional" books on Calculus! Failed a 5 hour class in my freshman year! [blush] OTOH, it helped me prove to my Dad that I really didn't have a career as an Engineer! Until FedEx bought their first 727's, anyway. Then I actually became an "engineer", said so right on my license!! And I've always been interested in railroads... [biggrin]

So, Happy Last Thursday of the Year!!! [cheer]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »
Here's mine
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 07:04:07 PM »
Show off! :P

If you'd like to see more gauges, try rotating you screen 90 or 270 degrees. Not your monitor, just the screen.
  • 1. Close System Prefs, if it is open
  • 2. Open System prefs
  • 3. IMPORTANT! Follow this step EXACTLY!
    • A. Press and hold both the command and option keys with your non-mouse hand.
    • B. Click the "Displays" icon
    • C. You should now see a new option in the dialog:
Video at 10! :P

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 07:33:25 PM »
Mine is the same as it has been for a long time, but now with dead blow-up decorations. :)

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 07:38:22 PM »
Steve, do you ever have trouble displaying the Floating Graphic? I have tried to use it for a couple of years now, on and off, but it is kind of quirky on my desktop. Disappears occasionally and I have to go into Preferences, unselect it, reboot WeatherCat, then reselect it. Too much effort.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »
Steve! I hope the police don't drive by and see what looks like a horrific crime scene!! :o

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »
Here's mine right now - it normally looks very much like this.