Author Topic: My Town's Rain Repelling Phenomenon  (Read 8374 times)

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2 (daytime FARS) w/ Macbook OS 10.9.2
My Town's Rain Repelling Phenomenon
« on: June 08, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
Hello everyone!

It's happening again right now.

The strangest thing is recurring here in Denton, Texas: whenever area radar shows a huge line of thunderstorms moments away from us, just before it arrives it all separates and goes around us--like a giant herd of mice passing by, but avoiding,  a sleeping cat. This is a regular, even expected, occurrence here.

Rain events attract surges of area visitors to my web site, and many of these folks are getting pounded by the heavy rain that has avoided my VP2. So they are repeatedly tuning in and finding my scant rain amounts, giving rise to some doubt about my accuracy, no doubt.  [banghead]  Maybe not. I don't know.

I could speculate as to what may be causing this rain-avoidance phenomenon--e.g. slightly higher temperature, or air pollution, or just plain coincidence, or some sort of voodoo hex, or biased observation, or am I just crazy? (don't answer that), or whatever--but before I do speculate, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same sort of thing.

I'm dying to know...

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: My Town's Rain Repelling Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 05:50:41 PM »
Hi Keith
 My mom lives in Lincoln County Oklahoma and the same thing happens to her the rain get to Oklahoma City then when it gets to her county it seperates  and goes north and south of her I keep telling her that they ain't paying the preacher

so your not the only one that happens too.

cheers

[cheers1]

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
Randall,

Ask your mom if she knows any good voodoo doctors for us. (insert here the emoticon of a witch doctor)

Today's example was typical of the past 12 years I've lived here; a huge solid swath of rain the size of Florida separates just as it gets to Denton, then re-forms into a solid system again after passing Denton.

The same thing seems to happen often to nearby Ft. Worth and Dallas. I'm wondering if cities somehow affect the lines of thunderstorms. Denton is not a small town.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Keith
 I am from Texas and have lots of family in your area and east Texas
Don't think it has to do with the big cities maybe you need to get out there the next time it is coming toward you and dance naked and maybe it will chase after you

cheers

[cheers1]

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 10:08:28 PM »
Ha ha!

No, I think that would send it running the other way.  [lol]

This "phenomenon" I speak of is obviously just an extended coincidence. And a frustrating one at that.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:16:44 PM »
When I lived in East Texas, folks from up north (i.e., north of Oklahoma) blamed everything on George Bush, but I can't see how he's responsible for the weather pattern over Denton.
Blick

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
I'm experiencing something similar. Rainshowers seem to have a slight preference for the area west of where I live.  :)
There have been studies on the subject (I can send the link but it is in Dutch  :) ) and the outcome is that wet/cooler soil gets less rain compared to the neighboring dryer & hotter soil. One would think it would even out over time but this is not the case.
The effect is small though, so it's mostly my frustration when the heavy thundershowers go around my weather station AGAIN!  [banghead]

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »
JosBaz, I thought there might be some physics involved, something contributing to coincidence itself. That's interesting.

Blick, my local weatherman at the CBS affiliate finally returned my email and confirmed that George Bush is indeed not the cause. He said the blame lies solely on Yoko--of course.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »
Same thing happens here in N. Central Arkansas, though right now it isn't happening. Many is the time, though, an approaching cold front from the NW has split apart just before crossing us, giving a sprinkle or two while all around is in flood warning.

It's probably just coincident events owing to the chaotic nature of weather, but when it happens so frequently it's hard not to imagine that there might be some causal physical process involved, like the position of the jet stream, or the effect of certain types of terrain like mountains, deserts and lakes.
Herb

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 03:58:52 AM »
Bull Winkus,

It's good to know I'm not the only one. I'd say something like "misery loves company" but, even with a little rainfall today, we still have an exceptional drought here, so it's no fun at all. Sorry for the rainfall repellent in your area, too.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:33 PM »
Oh I'm sure your effect is much worse. This Spring we're getting plenty of rain despite the split in rain fronts. Much of the weather has been coming from other directions than from NW. It does't happen then.

This past week the problem has been minor rainfall but every day. My yard's grass is turning into a jungle. I can't mow, any the forecast is more of the same Thursday and Friday. So, I used the time to get out the file and sharpen the mower blades. Then on the last blade and last stroke of the file, I stupidly ran my hand into the blade on the down stroke and cut my little finger to the bone across the top and lower side. Didn't hurt too much, but was bleeding like a headless chicken. So, my one day window in the rainy weather to get some mowing done is probably lost, unless I can get out there for an hour or so near sundown.

It always seems to be either too hot to mow, or too wet.  [lol2]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 10:41:37 AM »
Then on the last blade and last stroke of the file, I stupidly ran my hand into the blade on the down stroke and cut my little finger to the bone across the top and lower side. Didn't hurt too much, but was bleeding like a headless chicken.

Yikes Herb! Hope it heals fine.
Blick

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
I second that motion, Slash--I mean Herb. Keep a close eye out for infection. It used to be that we didn't worry so much about such cuts, but not anymore. In The Snows Of Kilimanjaro the guy gets his infection from just a thorn scratch. So keep it clean and get to a doctor if it doesn't heal right.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Take it easy Herb! (Was: Rain Repelling Phenomenon)
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
Hi Herb, Blick, Keith, and WeatherCat yardwork warriors,

Then on the last blade and last stroke of the file, I stupidly ran my hand into the blade on the down stroke and cut my little finger to the bone across the top and lower side.

Wow Herb!    Definitely be careful with that sort of a wound!

;) . . . . Besides, what's the big idea of cutting the lawn with a sharp blade?  I sharpen no blade . . . . . before its time!! . . . .   [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  . . . . and that time usually comes when . . . . . I replace the lawn mower!!  [lol2]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »
Thanks for the sympathy Blick, Keith and Edouard. No swelling yet; little pain and no analgesics either, except for once that night. I clean the area around the gash with hydrogen peroxide solution each time I replace the bandaid. The biggest problem with it is forgetting about it and bumping it into something while swatting at an insect or getting up off the couch. Uh, ? the first of which happens outside and the second inside.

Just had a professional lawnmower guy pick up my big mower to sharpen its 3 blades. I know when I've had enough!
Herb