Author Topic: Where are the Atkins Templates  (Read 12938 times)

batr3a

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW5790
    • KMEPARSO2
    • Weather at Maple Trees
  • Station Details: Dedicated Mac Mini, OSX 10.6.8, Davis Vantage Vue, WeatherCat
Where are the Atkins Templates
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »
It appears that the Atkins Family website that used to have the the LWC templates is no more - It appears to be a new WordPress site. Here is the link I have been using:
http://atkinsfamily.org/Site/LWC_Template.html

Chers,

Bryant

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Where are the Atkins Templates
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
Hy Bryant, and welcome over to the WeatherCat forum!

Look in your Applications --> WeatherCat --> Web Templates --> atkinsfamily.org folder and you'll find them.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

batr3a

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW5790
    • KMEPARSO2
    • Weather at Maple Trees
  • Station Details: Dedicated Mac Mini, OSX 10.6.8, Davis Vantage Vue, WeatherCat
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
Thanks Steve, but that is just one template and the link at the bottom to their site is defunct. I was using the "advanced" template here: http://www.thetaggarts.net/weather/

I have yet to modify my pages.

Bryant

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Ah, sorry. I hadn't looked closely at what was in the folder since starting mine last September. I'm using the advanced template, too, but have modified it so much that only the overall format is recognizable. Let me look and see if I have an unmolested version around. I created it on the old computer, so looking on Time Machine will only get me back to November when I got this new iMac.

Or maybe someone else has a copy.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

batr3a

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW5790
    • KMEPARSO2
    • Weather at Maple Trees
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »
Thanks again Steve.

I too am using a modified Atkins "advanced template" - I guess we will have to change or delete the link at the bottom of the page that points to the Atkins site.

I'm good with what I have - Just need to make some changes to it. Maybe the Atkins template in the WeatherCat download folder needs to be modified too  [tup]

Cheers,

Bryant

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hoping Atkins will resurface (Re: Atkins Templates)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
Hi Bryant, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

Unfortunately the Atkins templates are looking a little out of date and in the case of the ipwx template just plain buggy as-is.  There are some patches on MacWeather.net but it is a clumsy way to use them.  I sure hope that we'll see Atkins surface from the depths of cyber-space and apply a little TLC so that his templates are up-to-date for WeatherCat.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355 on iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56:06 AM »
i for one would definitely like to see a new iOS template or even a iOS App that gets its data from WeatherCat.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:54:34 AM »
i for one would definitely like to see a new iOS template or even a iOS App that gets its data from WeatherCat.

I have my site set to recognize iPhone/iPod, but not iPad, as I like the regular web site on the larger screen. Take a look (click banner below), and if you like it I can send the template. It is a modified version of the atkins one. (or, if you want to see a giant version of it, you can go to the web page and then click the "Mobile" icon at the very bottom.)

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
iOS WeatherCatClient? (Re: Atkins Templates)
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »
Hi xtommo, Steve, and WeatherCat fans,

Last Spring someone started work on an iOS app to connect to LWC, but apparently the work was never finished and we lost touch with that person when the LWC forum shut down.

However, Stu has made such an application potentially far more practical because of the way that the WeatherCatClient can connect anywhere from the Internet now.  [cat]  So if someone who is willing to learn iOS programming were to take on this project, this may yet become a reality.

Rancher Rick

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments: 6163 wireless weather station 6345 wireless leaf and soil moisture/temperature station 6440 soil moisture sensor 6470 temperature probe 6510USB data logger and WeatherLink software, MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac (all Intel) with 10.6.8
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »
I would be willing to create an iPhone/iPod/iPad "universal" client for WeatherCat similar to the WeatherCatClient. I have been writing iOS apps for over 3 years and have 3 apps in the iTunes Store plus 2 more waiting for Apple's review. I need to learn how WeatherCatClient works before jumping in with both feet. I am very familiar with Xcode 4.2 and have written some Mac OS X apps for personal use. Is there a Xcode 4.2 project for WeatherCatClient?

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 07:56:53 PM »
Hi Rick, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

There is an iPhone html file available that, when saved to the home screen, acts like an application. You can take a look at it by going to www.avon-weather.com on your iPod/iPhone. I like the simplicity of this design, but would certainly welcome a more feature-rich WeatherCat app, too. I modified the one on my page to show a web cam image, so that might be nice to add to whatever you come up with.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
You'll need to "talk to the boss" (Re: Atkins Templates)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:11:47 PM »
Hi Rancher Rick and WeatherCat (and WeatherKitten) fans,

I would be willing to create an iPhone/iPod/iPad "universal" client for WeatherCat similar to the WeatherCatClient. I have been writing iOS apps for over 3 years and have 3 apps in the iTunes Store plus 2 more waiting for Apple's review. I need to learn how WeatherCatClient works before jumping in with both feet. I am very familiar with Xcode 4.2 and have written some Mac OS X apps for personal use. Is there a Xcode 4.2 project for WeatherCatClient?

You are way ahead of me in this regard!  Congratulations on your success with iOS app! 

I can say for sure that there isn't anything in Xcode 4.x around yet because Stu has been trying to support PowerPCs.  So everything he has done has been in Xcode 3.x.  However, beyond that . . . . you'll really need to "talk to da' boss."  The chief developer for WeatherCat is Stuart Ball and you can send him a personal message in the usual way: http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2

Hope indeed you will have a fruitful collaboration and we'all might get a nice new toy to play with as a result!!  [bounce]

Rancher Rick

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments: 6163 wireless weather station 6345 wireless leaf and soil moisture/temperature station 6440 soil moisture sensor 6470 temperature probe 6510USB data logger and WeatherLink software, MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac (all Intel) with 10.6.8
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 09:30:22 PM »
I sent an email to WCDev as elagache suggested.

I also looked at avon-weather.com and liked it. Nice work. Is that available in a template form? I'm not excited about reverse-engineering the page source.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »

I also looked at avon-weather.com and liked it. Nice work. Is that available in a template form? I'm not excited about reverse-engineering the page source.

Thanks,

I modified a template made by a guy who doesn't participate here or on the MacWeather forum anymore, so I can't take credit for it. All I did was add a couple of parameters and add the image info. I don't have the original distribution any more, and the guy's web site is gone. The attached ipwx folder goes on you web server, and the ipwx_CAM.html goes in your local Custom Web folder. There was a version without the CAM, but I don't have it any more.

Any questions, just let me know,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
I Just posted a comment on Todd's blog asking if he will post a link to the missing files, or send them to me to post on his behalf. Hopefully he will join us.
Steve

[EDIT] Todd wrote back, and he'll dig up his files for us. Great news!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA