Author Topic: About the iOS App  (Read 104416 times)

boracay

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW6305
    • IMALAY2
  • Station Details: boracay island, philippines
Re: Second the motion . . .(Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2014, 03:17:57 AM »
Dear boracay, Grand, and WeatherCat iOS fans,

ok, i have just paid for BOTH ipad and iPhone versions of weathercat app.

Well, you can only pay for the iPad app.  The iPhone version is free.

???

not correct, it DID cost me for both apps

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Second the motion . . .(Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2014, 01:20:33 AM »
Dear boracay, Grand, and WeatherCat iOS fans,

ok, i have just paid for BOTH ipad and iPhone versions of weathercat app.

Well, you can only pay for the iPad app.  The iPhone version is free.

???

not correct, it DID cost me for both apps

You are both correct. When the iPhone app first came out, it was free. That's when Edouard got it. It was later changed to a paid app which is what it is now.

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
Re: About the iOS App
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2015, 12:02:02 PM »
I finally got my router Cicso DPQ 3925 to finally accept my IP address to find that my iPhone and iPad 2Air both have different IP's ARGH,  ;D
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2, Mac Mini (2018), macOS 11.0.1 (Big Sur)
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2017, 11:14:56 PM »
I am paying for the hosting of my own domain. Instead of using and paying dyn.com, is there a way or an app I can use so that my domain will act as host for my WeatherCat stats so I may access the WeatherCat info on iPhone over the internet instead of getting the proper stats only via local Wi-Fi when I'm home?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Is your WeatherCat Mac the domain server? (Re: About the iOS App)
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2017, 12:00:48 AM »
Dear elderforester and WeatherCat Internet spinners,

I am paying for the hosting of my own domain. Instead of using and paying dyn.com, is there a way or an app I can use so that my domain will act as host for my WeatherCat stats so I may access the WeatherCat info on iPhone over the internet instead of getting the proper stats only via local Wi-Fi when I'm home?

Well, what WeatherCat for iPhone needs is an IP address where it will find the Mac WeatherCat application running.  If you use your Mac that runs WeatherCat as your domain server, then the IP address for your domain will work directly for WeatherCat for iPhone.

If you are using another server, then basically the answer is no.  What dyn.com and these other services provide is an application that tells the service the temporary IP address where it can find your Mac that runs WeatherCat.  Having your own domain doesn't solve the problem of not knowing the IP address of your Mac running WeatherCat.

There are some rival services to provide your IP address dynamically.  There was a recent discussion about it:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=206.msg2010#msg2010

Scroll down to see the later bits.

Cheers, Edouard

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 12:23:10 AM »
Thanks Edouard. I have one computer, an iMac, that is running WeatherCat 24/7. Does that computer have an IP address WeatherCat can use or must it be only a domain server which provides the IP for WeatherCat?

Or do I presume that because that IP is one of many LAN numbers assigned by my router to my networked computers, it can't be done?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2017, 12:40:11 AM »
Thanks Edouard. I have one computer, an iMac, that is running WeatherCat 24/7. Does that computer have an IP address WeatherCat can use or must it be only a domain server which provides the IP for WeatherCat?

Your iMac definitely has an IP address. The question is, is that IP address dynamically assigned by your router (meaning the IP address can change when you reboot) or is it a static IP address (meaning it never changes and has been assigned to you by your Internet Service Provider). If you don't know, then you likely have dynamic IP; you would know if you have static IP because you would have asked your ISP to give you a static IP address and you would be paying for it.

If you are already paying for your own domain name, I suspect you are already using a dynamic dns service and that your domain name would work in the WeatherCat iOS apps, assuming you follow the port forwarding instructions in the WeatherCat manual for ports 49250-49254.

The moderator of this forum thread will be able to definitively answer your question. He (Grand Poobah) is good about checking in regularly. 
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2017, 06:45:09 PM »
Your router is assigned a dynamic IP address by the Internet Service Provider. You can find out what it is by Googling "What is my IP address". The router assigns a local IP address to your computer. Your computer may have two local IP addresses, one for Wi-Fi and one for Ethernet. You can find out the local IP addresses by looking at System Preferences/Network.

To access your WeatherCat server via the Internet, you need the dynamic IP address and you need to enable port-forwarding to the computer hosting the WeatherCat server. Port-forwarding allows requests coming in from WeatherCat/iPhone via the Internet to access your WeatherCat server. Port-forwarding is a kind of "It's okay for this outside guy to access something on my computer without asking permission." thing. Domain name services like DYN help by assigning a name to the IP address and, since the dynamic IP address may change, update the name with the current IP address.

Some WeatherCat users have static IP addresses. They can use the IP address directly without fear of having the address change. You can use your dynamic IP address with the caveat that you may need to change the address you use in WeatherCat/iPhone occasionally.

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
Thanks for the explanation, Poobah. What is confusing is that when I googled the IP on the iMac it came up with an IPv6 address (2605:.....), however the grayed-out field on my router has IPv4 (76.91.......)

I don't mind changing as the need arises, however I can't seem to get my iPhone to connect to WeatherCat through the Internet 1 address when I enter either of those numbers.

The Network tab in AirPort Utility has DHCP reservations. I added the iMac (running WeatherCat) LAN address (10.0....) to this list which I presume reserves that number for the iMac LAN address at all times. Below that is Port Settings and I added WeatherCat to that list which defaults to IPv4 as the type. Clicking the Network Settings button brings up IPv4 ranges, etc. including a box for: Block IPV6 connections (checked?).

Which number goes into the Internet 1 tab on my iPhone WeatherCat app: the IPv4 or the IPv6?

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2017, 08:49:17 AM »
Hello elder,
take a look at: http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=WeatherCat_Clients
Dive into Port Forwarding and Server Setup.
Maybe it brings you a step further.
Cheers,
Reinhard

elderforester

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0529
    • KCABELA1, KCALOSAN911
    • Fullscore
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
Thanks for the help folks. Finally got it to work! Trouble was with getting the router public and private numbers exact and in the proper place (Duh). Having multiple routers extending the network added more levels of confusion.

WeatherCat on the Apple Watch is absolutely awesome!  ThU5:-)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2017, 08:37:44 PM »
Congratulations. So glad you are up and running. I love it when someone figures out how to make it work. I too have the Cat on Apple Watch and my only complaint is that it frequently requires me to kill and restart the app on my phone to get it to display on the watch. Looking forward to future improvements in the WC iOS apps.
Blick