Author Topic: Monthly reports for the Northern California 2018-19 rainy season.  (Read 4711 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat drought watchers,

Continuing the annual tradition, here is the first report from Canebas Weather Station regarding the Northern California rainy season.  October only brought 0.02" of rain, so it wasn't worth reporting.  However, November was a different story.  We received 5.41" of rain (137mm).  That was basically sufficient to catch us up for the entire rain season thus far.  This can be easily seen on the graph:

Of course lots of a rain in a very short period of time doesn't have the same effect as gentle rains over a longer period of time.  However, in the drought-parched West, we'll take any rain we can get!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
December (Re: Reports for the North CA 2018-19 rainy season.)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 10:55:15 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Drought watchers,

Another month is at a close so it is time to tally up the precipitation and see were Canebas Weather Station is at with respect to normal.  Alas the news isn't so good.  December has been unusually cool and dry.  Storms have been few and not as "juicy" with the exception of one atmospheric river event.  As a result we only received 2.66" of rain (67.6 mm.)  That is only 75% of the normal rainfall for December.

Because December is an important rainfall month in Northern California, the cumulative numbers are also hurting.  We are down to only 79% of what would be to date a normal season.  The shortfall isn't to extreme yet, but the overall trend is disturbingly similar to recent years.  Instead of rain falling steadily throughout the wet season, we are increasingly reliant on atmospheric river events to bring extreme rains in short periods of time.  This trend has resulted in more rain during the mid-seasons and less during the middle of winter when California normally receives the bulk of its rains.  January is a new month of a new year.  The Climate Prediction Center medium range forecasts are the moment encouraging.  Alas, the drought worries are definitely back.

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear WeatherCat Drought watchers,

Another month is at a close so it is time to tally up the precipitation and see were Canebas Weather Station is at with respect to normal.  January has been kinder to us.  We picked up a small amount of rain overnight and that was enough to bring over normal for the month: 101% !!

Since January is one of our wettest months, getting the normal rainfall had a positive effect on the cumulative totals.  We are now caught up to 94% of what we could normally through the end of January.  More rain is expected for the start of Feburary so for the moment we are looking at what will hopefully be a rationing free year for the second year in a row.

We shall see!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Monthly reports for the Northern California 2018-19 rainy season.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:58:46 PM »
Good news for the drought, and we could use some good news on that subject.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Western United States drought watchers,

February is essentially at an end.  No more rain is expected today so I can cheat and post this report a day early.  As you may have noticed from the reports of flooding around the Russian River area, Northern California ended up getting a lot of rain from multiple Atmospheric River events.  Being in the San Francisco East Bay,Canebas Weather station picked up a more modest 7.45" of rain (189 mm) this month.  Nonetheless, That made it the third wettest February ever recorded at the station and represents 157% of normal.  Here is the graph:

As can be seen on the cumulative graph, we are caught up but not by all that much - 109%.  So we shall need the rains to keep coming to avoid falling back behind in the spring.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 11:37:36 PM »
Your February rain was welcome news here in the mountains of northern Utah, where it turned into 61 inches of snow (s far). It's snowing right now, but it remains toi be seen whether or not it will turn out to be measurable. Until I get my Reinhard & Son Electronic Snow Measuring Device, I'm still using a metal yardstick.
Blick

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:40:24 PM »
Your February rain was welcome news here in the mountains of northern Utah, where it turned into 61 inches of snow (s far). It's snowing right now, but it remains toi be seen whether or not it will turn out to be measurable. Until I get my Reinhard & Son Electronic Snow Measuring Device, I'm still using a metal yardstick.

And I feel your pain...I have already LOST 2 metal yardsticks this season.  This perhaps??? https://snowmetrics.com/product-category/snow-board-equipment/
unless I could figure a wireless way to heat the rain collection cone on the Davis?

Regardless, hooray for March...current temp? 5.2F [freeze]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather

No more rain is expected in the San Francisco Bay Area before the end of the month, so I can complete this report early and buy some time for tomorrow and Monday.  The first and last weeks of March were wet.  As a result, we received 5.02 inches of rainfall which is 123% of normal for the month.  The two consecutive rainy months in a row were enough to exceed the normal annual rainfall for Orinda accord to the idcide.com website:

It seems just about certain that we shall pick up some more rain next week and perhaps even the week after.  At this point the benefit isn't the additional moisture, but prolonging the period before Californian's have to start watering once more.  There is no substitute for watering by none other than mother nature!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather

We did get a bit of rain in early April, but since then it has been dry.  As a result we only picked up 0.5" (12.7mm) of rain which is 31% of normal.  Still, since we had already exceeded the total for the year, anything was welcome.  Here is the graph:

The end of April has been surprisingly summer-like.  So this definitely could be the end of the 2018-19 rainy season.  If that is the case we will have gotten 103% of normal rainfall.  Definitely above normal but not by very much.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 01:47:02 AM »
Hey! You are posting monthly data more than 24 hours before the end of the month. Where's your faith?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
I tried! . . . (Re: Northern California 2018-19 rainy season.)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 12:54:05 AM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat "rain makers,"

Hey! You are posting monthly data more than 24 hours before the end of the month. Where's your faith?

Hey I did everything I could!  I washed and waxed the first of our three cars!   [biggrin]

Alas, it didn't work.  It was a cool but sunny day.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 06:03:53 AM »
Whatever you did worked for me. We had 4 inches of new snow today!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather

May is normally a mostly (if not totally) dry month.  However that definitely wasn't true in 2019!!  In the middle of the month we had some impressive storms that once more involved atmospheric rivers:

As a result, we picked up 2.64" (67.1mm) of rain which is a whopping 433% of normal! Here is the graph:

2.64" ultimately isn't that much more rain for the whole year.  Still, it did bring us up to 114% of a normal year.  I'm not sure what effect the late rains may have on the wildfire situation.  It might have a serious downside for seed eating creatures.  That much rain after the grasses had gone to seed might result in rotting seeds that normally would be preserved by the dry heat of summer.

Summer does seem to be moving in for good at this point, but the rain was welcome while it lasted.