Author Topic: Antivirus Software Mac  (Read 2556 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Antivirus Software Mac
« on: July 10, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »
Hi Cat Family
 Does anyone here run an antivirus program on their mac and if so which one?
thanks

cheers
 [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Antivirus Software Mac
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:38:53 PM »
I think I have a copy of ClamXav... Yep, I found it! :) Can't remember the last time I ran it, however. I depend on SpamSieve, Ghostery, Java blocking software and keeping up with Mac news sites. But most importantly, I usually install apps only from devs with their own website and occasionally The App Store. I never download anything from C|net, softtronic, macUpdate, Softpedia, etc. I just don't trust many 'software collections' sites, anymore. And I can't remember clicking a link in an email..., I don't even allow third-party images to open in Mail. [banghead]

Speaking of email, if you forward a message, it's probably kind to scan it, since it will most likely be going to a Windows user... I'm too lazy, so I just don't forward much stuff... to friends, anyway! [lol] Then, there are the people who refuse to use the BCC: field and dump everyones addy into the TO: and/or CC: fields; so long email address. [rolleyes2]

I have had a few other AV apps installed, but they never ever found anything and the only thing I noticed was they slowed down the machine while they ran. [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

awilltx

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:16:40 PM »
I run ClamXav as well. There was a time it was free and available in the app store, but no longer. I think it's around US$35 now and it seems to update itself fairly frequently. Best of all, just run it when you want and choose which directories to scan - there's nothing running in the background to slow your machine down.

I also run MalwareBytes (google it) and run it occasionally.

Alan

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:04:37 AM »
Randall, I ran Norton AV on my MacBook Air but 2 years or so ago I stopped paying for the annual subscription. It does not have as much of a drag on the OS overhead as the freebies do. The only reason I stopped updating it because I stopped using it online.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:04:21 PM »
None for me. I simply turned off access to Flash for all web pages, unless I give permission or set a specific site to be able to use it. Plus, I don't use email very much at all.
Herb

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »
None for me. I simply turned off access to Flash for all web pages, unless I give permission or set a specific site to be able to use it. Plus, I don't use email very much at all.

I turn off Flash for Safari and use Chrome for sites that require Flash. Chrome sandboxes Flash, keeping any possible nasties from doing any harm..

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies [tup]

cheers
 [cheers1]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Me either
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »
I also don't use any anti-virus software beyond what OS X already uses, via GateKeeper.

A great way to enjoy the safety of NO-FLASH in a browser with the added benefit of HTML5 Youtube videos without having to watch the crappy ads prior to a video, is to use "Click to Flash" and "Click to Plugin" extensions in Safari. It keeps Flash on a leash, and only loads the HTML5 version of videos on Youtube (for example) which skips the built in ads.

All the best,

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »
Started to mention the EasyDoc Converter "app" since I hadn't seen anything about it here. But this Macworld article, by Mr. Glenn Fleishman, who has proven to be trustworthy and well-informed, has a lot of useful info and some great recommendations (since they agree with mine... mostly ;) ).
"Common Sense?!" What'll they think of next?! [banghead] [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system