Author Topic: Weathercat finding two 'cu.SLAB_USBtoUART' after Mavericks fresh install.  (Read 8431 times)

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and found a solution?

I upgraded my hard drives on my iMac and did a fresh install of Mavericks. Everything went well with no issues. However, every time I restart the system (programmed every day) Weathercat fails to find my Davis Vantage Vue console as it is finding two instances of the USB to Serial link port '/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART' and 'cu.SLAB_USBtoUART1'. I have to manually select the second for Weathercat to function.

I have reinstalled the latest Silicon Labs drivers.

Any ideas how I can correct this?

Thanks

Val

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Gulp! (Re: Finding two 'cu.SLAB_USBtoUART')
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »
Hi Val and WeatherCat Davis users,

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and found a solution?

I upgraded my hard drives on my iMac and did a fresh install of Mavericks. Everything went well with no issues. However, every time I restart the system (programmed every day) Weathercat fails to find my Davis Vantage Vue console as it is finding two instances of the USB to Serial link port '/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART' and 'cu.SLAB_USBtoUART1'. I have to manually select the second for Weathercat to function.

I have reinstalled the latest Silicon Labs drivers.

Any ideas how I can correct this?

Hmm, that dredged up an old memory about where those drivers are stored.  When I went to that location I had a surprise of my own!  :o

There is a file associated with the drivers and you'll find it at this location on your hard drive:

/System/Library/Extensions/

That's using UNIX filesystem conventions.

When I check out this location I also find two files - eek!

/System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver64.kext

The file SiLabsUSBDriver.kext has a much older modification date and I'm guessing that's an unused 32 bit version of the driver, but it is surprising to still find it on my system nonetheless. 

For your predicament, the most user-friendly solution would have been an uninstaller.   Alias, I just checked, Silicon Labs doesn't provide an uninstaller.  So if you find yourself with two files you'll need to remove one manually. 

I'm not entirely sure, but my best guess would be to reboot your Mac in "safe mode" (hold down the shift key.)  Then go to the folder noted above and drag the offending file to the trash.  You might not be able to delete the file until you reboot, but in safe mode it shouldn't have loaded the extension.

Just to be safe, I would suggest that you trash anything that looks like SiLabsUSBDriver.kext and then install a fresh copy of the driver using the latest installer from the Silicon Labs website.  That way you avoid any contamination from the previous files and the Silicon labs installer would have a clean slate to work with.

Given the oddity of this situation, definitely have a backup of your system before doing - ANYTHING!

Hope this gets you unstuck.

Cheers, Edouard

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
Edouard, many thanks for coming back to me with such a comprehensive reply, sadly, I've done as you suggest and its made no difference :(

Does this suggest that perhaps the issue lies within weather cat?

Thanks

Val

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
I've done as you suggest and its made no difference :(

Val, Have you searched your entire drive for anything with USBtoUART in the file name to ensure you only have one such driver?
Blick

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
I'm no Mac expert, and when I try to search it does not even find the two that I know are there and that I can navigate to following Edouard's instructions. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have set finder to show hidden files (and it is).

ideas?

Val

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
OK, so a quick google and I know how to search system files :)

It finds the same two listed by Edouard, nothing else. I've removed the 32bit one. Stays removed but no change.

Val

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
It finds the same two listed by Edouard, nothing else. I've removed the 32bit one. Stays removed but no change.

Are you saying you have now deleted that one file twice?

My advice is to delete them both, empty the trash, reboot the machine, search one more time and make sure you have neither file on your machine and then download the latest version of the driver from the web.
Blick

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
Hi

That is exactly what I have done. When I re-install, it creates the two files, so I have then removed the un-used one also.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hi Val, Blick, and Weather Davis owners,

That is exactly what I have done. When I re-install, it creates the two files, so I have then removed the un-used one also.

Okay, it might be possible that Silicon Labs always installs the 32-bit driver and the 64-bit driver.  Why? - I fear I really don't want to know the answer because I would learn that there was an obvious right way to do something and an obvious wrong way to do something and they picked . . .  [banghead]

However, the number of files really wasn't the issue, your initial complaint was:

Is this still going on or not?

Cheers, Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Hi Val, Edouard and Blicj
 Silicon Labs installs both drivers I have the same 2 here on my iMac 2011 21"
It sounds like to me that Val's Perference file got corrupted during all this he needs to trash his com.trixology.weathercat.plist and start all over with his preferences in WeatherCat

It is in your Library/Perferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist

Quit WeatherCat trash your preference file restart your computer and redo all your information in WeatherCat

cheers

[cheers1]

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
Hi Randall

Mmmm, just tried that. No dice, it immediately picks up two instances of the port again!

Tried several times. closed weathercat, moved and renamed .plist, re-boot, start weathercat.

Val

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Hi Val
 I just reread your first post and I think you need to select the first '/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART' in stead of the second
Have you tried that
cheers

[cheers1]

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
Hi Randall

Yes, the first one does not work, that is the problem. So after a restart weather cat just stalls with 'weather station not found' (or something like that!).

Having said all that, it has started correctly this morning, so maybe something has worked. I'll monitor it for a few days and see.

Thanks

Val

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Having said all that, it has started correctly this morning, so maybe something has worked.

Thank goodness for magic!  :)

Glad you got it working Val.
Blick

Val33

• Gentle Breeze
So the issue is not fixed :(

Still exactly as described in my first post, except to  add that about 1 in 5 re-starts weathercat selects the working port  (or the port that weathercat selects is working!).

Any fresh ideas for me to try?

Thanks

Val