Author Topic: Model railroad "CAD" program for Mac: RailModeller Pro.  (Read 2235 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Model railroad "CAD" program for Mac: RailModeller Pro.
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:33:50 PM »
Dear WeatherCat . . . . train nuts,

Since model railroading has suddenly become a bit of a topic, I realized that I've never reported on my Mac tool for my model railroad: RailModeller Pro:

http://www.railmodeller.com/

The program is a number of years old and has significantly improved over its original version.  Nonetheless, it is reasonably easy to use and allows you consider how you are going to layout track so that you can get the best use of space without actually fussing around with physical pieces of track.  It was indispensable when I decided to change the theme of my railroad from an actual logging camp to a museum.  It was much easier to fuss around with changing track on the computer instead of trying designs on the partially completed layout.  Here is a picture of the design of my layout as an example:

Attached to this posting is an Acrobat PDF file showing a print out at a scale 1/10 full size.  Obviously you have to have the interest, but if you do, this program will go a long way towards ironing out design ideas before actually building anything.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. It might be a lot of fun for dreamers of model railroad layouts.  There was talk of being able to simulate run RailModeller layouts on your Mac.  I don't know if this feature has been incorporated yet.