WeatherCat > WeatherCat General Discussion

Looking forward: Weathercat and 32 bit issues

(1/2) > >>

jennajon:
Using app Go64 (https://www.stclairsoft.com/) to check 32bit apps still on Mac, found that WeatherCat file WC_relaunch is a 32 bit app. Will this be updated in near future?

(screen shots attached to show Go64 info)

jenna
REVISED to add addtl. screen shot with more information

elagache:
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat faithful,

[wink] . . . . . Hey where have you been?  You owe us two months of WeatherCat climate reports! . . . .. . .  lol(1)

--- Quote from: jennajon on July 13, 2019, 10:50:09 AM ---Using app Go64 (https://www.stclairsoft.com/) to check 32bit apps still on Mac, found that WeatherCat file WC_relaunch is a 32 bit app. Will this be updated in near future?
--- End quote ---

I hate when somebody finds something in WeatherCat that I didn't know about and this one is particularly curious! 

If you "uncan" the WeatherCat application bundle, this file is described as:  "UNIX executable (Intel:32)"  It is also described as a document that can be opened with the Terminal program.  However, I'm not bold enough to try running it to see what it does.  I did run the UNIX command cat on it.  There is some gibberish consistent with an executable. But there are some text strings.  In particular there is this one:

--- Code: ---/Users/Stu/Downloads/relaunch-daemon/relaunch.m/Users/Stu/Downloads/relaunch-daemon/build/Relaunch Demo.build/Release/WC_relaunch.build/Objects-normal/i386/relaunch.o_main_main_NXArgc_NXArgv___progname__mh_execute_header_environstart.objc_class_name_NSAutoreleasePool.objc_class_name_NSString.objc_class_name_NSWorkspace_GetProcessForPID_NSLog___CFConstantStringClassReference_atoi_exit_objc_msgSend_sleep$UNIX2003dyld_stub_binder
--- End code ---

That's not the sort of file path that should ever appear in a finished application.  So my guess is that this is a little bit of test code that Stu left in for his convenience and indeed he forgot that it wasn't 64-bit compatible.  It might be some old something-or-other that Stu simply forgot to remove.

So on this one we'll just have to wait for Stu to come up for air and let us in on the secret!

Thanks for finding this Jenna and taking the time to post it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11:
This also proves that Randall was not losing his marbles when he reported a 32-bit warning after upgrading to the latest WC version. Thanks for sharing.

xairbusdriver:
I can find several (older) instances of that file on my OS also. But I've not seen that warning, even with Mojave macOS 10.14.5. OTOH, it's running on a headless mini and it may have given up sending me screen notifications! [rolleyes2] [blush] But I agree with elagache, it's likely a dev-used file that is rarely, if ever, used by us mortals. It may only make itself useful if WC ever crashes. I also agree with blick that Randall is not losing any marbles! However, I am noticing several little glass balls around our house... cmu:-)

Weatheraardvark:
This mystery routine might affect the program if it can't do whatever it does.   Maybe time to track down the little thing, remove it and then test to see if the app continues to function.   I get the thing if I reboot my comptuer or it has been sleeping for a while.    Probably a good time to remove the wart before it causes trouble later (says the guy who can't code.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version