Author Topic: Anyone order iPhone X?  (Read 2434 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Anyone order iPhone X?
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »

Good thing there's a section for stuff totally unrelated to WX.

Anybody stay up late (West Coast) or get up early (East Coast) to pre-order the iPhone X at 0301 hours EDT?

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
Re: Anyone order iPhone X?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
Got up at 0300 ET and ordered it - it arrived 11/3.  Love it - but miss the Home Button.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:47:42 PM »
I was going to, and at the last minute decided to get an 8+. Figured the next version of the X will be a significant improvement along the lines of the Series 2 Watch being well worth the wait. All the X reviews have been quite positive with the exception that it might possibly be the easiest to break iPhone yet. Time will tell.
Blick

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
Blicj11 and all:

i thought the same as you and opted out for the 8+. After having been an Apple employee?
i can tell you things are not as they once were. After the fiasco with High Sierra, i am opting
to wait for the 2nd gen iPhoneX rather than be a paid beta/guinea pig.

[cheers1]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:36:12 PM »
i thought about it, but opted for the 8 Plus instead.   too expensive to repair the X.  All glass body.   I do like with the 8 plus I can use the Qi charging.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
We both have 6S iPhones, and college daughter is on a 6. We don't have plans to upgrade this cycle.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Gulp! (Re: Anyone order iPhone X?)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:58 PM »
Dear jennajon, Weatheraardvark, Steve, and WeatherCat observers of the tech scene,

i thought the same as you and opted out for the 8+. After having been an Apple employee?
i can tell you things are not as they once were. After the fiasco with High Sierra, i am opting
to wait for the 2nd gen iPhoneX rather than be a paid beta/guinea pig.

Gulp!    Looking in from the outside was definitely discouraging, but your commentary only further reminds me of my usual lament:

Oh, how I miss Steve Jobs! 

As to iPhone upgrades I'm going to remain even more retro and stick with my iPhone 6.  I just don't use that much and the only feature that I would be willing to upgrade for is the optical zoom lens.  Thus far it isn't available on the iPhone 6 footprint and I really cannot practically carry a phone that is any bigger.  I do hope Apple will find a way sometime to incorporate this feature into a more compact phone.  I never owned a camera with a zoom lens until 2011.  However, it is amazingly easily to get used to it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]