Author Topic: Data Viewer/Editor any software to go faster? Also missing Cal. Heat Index  (Read 1232 times)

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
Hi wonderful peeps, due to a low battery on my Davis Vantage Vue, I have heaps of funky overnight temps I need to edit. I know there?s software to do it. What do you recommend? Summer down under has been BRUTAL this year. I live in the colder part of OZ and today 21?c or 70f feels COLD. I also live in an area when summer comes we have dry heat. NOT THIS YEAR.

I broke a 2 five year station records for highest temp in Jan at 44.7?c (112.5 f)

My calculated heat index a few days later while at real temp at 41?c (105 f) horrific dew points put my heat index to 49?c (120 f) HORRENDOUS!!!!!

Now for question two, am I going mad or have calculated Heat Index values vanished from the Data Viewer/Editor I know they were on the far right past all the Aux and Soil tables?

Cheers Paul  [sweat2] [sweat2] 
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Paul:

Sounds HOT!! Especially, here, where it is snowing at the minute.

It would help us if you would let us know what version of WeatherCat you are running. Are you running the latest beta of version 3 or something earlier?

However, I can tell you that the Live Data Viewer/Editor only displays Data Channels. It does not display Calculated Channels, such as Wind Chill or Heat Index.

If you are just editing a few external temperatures, use the Data Viewer/Editor tool; it is a lot simpler to use. If you have a lot of fields to edit, you may want to edit the appropriate .cat file using an editor like BBEdit, available for a free 30-day trial from Bare Bones: http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

If you don't buy it, the editor tool in the free version still works after the trial period ends. Download the trial version here:
http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/download.html

Do NOT use a word processor or web editor!

If you decide to edit a .cat file, be sure to read the section in the WeatherCat Manual just before the Appendices called WeatherCat and Data. If you decide to edit a .cat file, I suggest you duplicate the file first, so that if your editing messes up the file, you can always go back to the original and try again.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.
Blick

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
Thanks Blicj11,

I?m using v2.44 and I?ve always had wind chill on the data viewer/editor, heat index was way uptake other end. I remember moving or sliding closer a couple of months back before I updated to v2.44 which didn?t work and now it?s gone. Here?s a screen shot of wind chill.

Thanks so much for software tip, I?ll download it and see what works faster, it?s just too much data so I?ll be entering half hour values for overnight. Thanks again

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
If you decide to edit a .cat file, be sure to read the section in the WeatherCat Manual just before the Appendices called WeatherCat and Data. If you decide to edit a .cat file, I suggest you duplicate the file first, so that if your editing messes up the file, you can always go back to the original and try again.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Hey Blick, I understand exactly what you mean now once I opened the .cat files in bbedit. I really appreciate you explaining that because I have shocking ADHD and oh look something shiny,  [runoff] and I?m off looking at something else, LOL.

You also jogged my memory with the actual data viewer/editor not the .cat files too. I remember why I know I had a heat index column which I could not edit. I moved it next to the Dew Point column because we never use to get DP?s over 20?C here say ten years ago. Now it?s really common, one day the DP was at 25?c.

Also Australians just don?t bother with DP much, well not where I live anyway because usually when it goes over 40?c where I live it?s desert heat with RH5% and DP 6-8?c and the heat index reads 34-36?c but their usually accompanied with stinking hot winds blowing in off the desert at 100km p/h so it feels like you?re being followed around by someone holding a blow torch in your face.

I will take that kind of heat any day, this humid summer is like east coast weather you get in Sydney and Brisbane where you can swim through the air.  ThU32:-)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Sorry about that. You are absolutely correct; I should have stated you cannot edit the calculated channels rather than you cannot view them. Glad you figured it out.

We have 10 inches of snow so far in this storm and I will take the cold over the heat so it looks like both of us are living in weather we enjoy.
Blick