Author Topic: Weathercat and wix  (Read 1721 times)

Gilltin

• Calm
  • Station Details: WS-1080, mac
Weathercat and wix
« on: March 29, 2021, 10:31:37 AM »
Hi there, I am wondering how I can get the weathercat readout page and statistics to my to a page on my Wix website.  Can anyone advise me please?  Thank you.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Weathercat and wix
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 03:38:41 PM »
Do you have FTP access to your web site? If so, WC can handle that task for you, but you need to 'explain' to the app what it should upload. That is often just a simple html file.
Perhaps a link to your "readout page" page would be of help.

Have you contacted Wix about including a "dynamic" (a page/display of frequently changing data) web page? They probably have specific details about such a need.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hard to do without FTP. (Re: Weathercat and wix )
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 10:32:18 PM »
Dear Gilltin, X-Air, and WeatherCat web spinners,

Hi there, I am wondering how I can get the weathercat readout page and statistics to my to a page on my Wix website.  Can anyone advise me please?  Thank you.

I wasn't familiar with Wix so I looked them up.  For anyone else that is curious here is their startup page:

https://www.wix.com/

It does seem like a very interesting scheme for all sorts of people wanting a web presence.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem particularly well suited for use with WeatherCat.  I looked up FTP to see if they supported uploading data from WeatherCat and in a word - they don't.   Here is the article on their technical support section:

https://support.wix.com/en/article/wix-media-request-ftp-service

WeatherCat uses FTP to move data from your Mac to web hosting provider.  So it would appear that you cannot directly use Wix and WeatherCat.  I suppose it could be possible to have WeatherCat upload data to some other sort of server and then find some way to get your Wix website to pick up the data.  It certainly would be complicated and thus defeat the main advantages of Wix.

If you would like to have a website with WeatherCat data, perhaps you should instead look into one of the templates already created by someone else.  The come from extremely simple to very elaborate depending on your willingness to learn all the customization options.  Most of the available templates are listed here on the forum:

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=5.0

I hope this is some help.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Weathercat and wix
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 12:48:48 AM »
Since you already have web space, I suspect your host may allow more than one web site; that seems to be what most hosting sites provide, even for their least expensive packages. Perhaps the new service mentioned in the PWS_Dashboard topic might be your easiest solution for a dynamic weather site with WC data.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system