Author Topic: Satellite Imagery Problem  (Read 2942 times)

McQ

• Calm
  • Christian, cyclist, ham (kf7mcq), married
    • EW3031
    • KAZSUNCI27
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Cat, '13 iMac
Satellite Imagery Problem
« on: December 01, 2018, 02:37:14 PM »
Since the upgrade to 3.0.3 my satellite imagery window shows a test pattern in all three windows. Periodically, it will blink to a satellite image, but immediately (0.5 seconds or so) returns to the test pattern. Right now, channel 1 is blinking in and out at about once/second.
I've fiddled with the preference settings, but am obviously missing something.
Thanks,
Fran
Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Sun City West Sheriff's Posse

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Satellite Imagery Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
I assume you are speaking of the settings in WC->Prefs->Imagery. If so, what do you get if you copy the settings (the url) in the different channels and then paste that url into a browser URL/location text box?

Perhaps you could report the url's you have in those three Channels? I think mine are the defaults:
Right now, channel 1 is blinking in and out at about once/second.
Is that "blinking" in the Preview or your site? What is the rate at which WC is updating it's reports/tags? I have WC set to update data every 2 minutes and that's how often I see a blinking.

I don't use that function, so I don't know how WC uses the images, but if you are using a third-party Template, you may want to check the settings in that area, also.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

pcj46

• Calm
    • KCASAUSA55
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, MacBookPro
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »
I’m a new member and am having the same issue so am wondering if a solution was found? If I enter the url shown in the Preferences-imagery pull-down into my browser it shows the correct image but not when I click on "Preview"  nor does it  "stick" when I go to the tools menu. I recently upgraded from LWC2 and am wondering if that could have something to do with it. I've rebooted and restarted without effect.
Running Mac OS 9.5. Is there a "plist" file that could be dumped or some other maneuver? I've tried several alternative map sources but all behave the same way. Are there some file types that are known to work better than others?
Thanks.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:21:53 PM »
First of all;
Welcome AboaRd, pcj46!

Unfortunately, the original poster never replied anywhere that I know of. [banghead] Maybe I asked too many questions? [blush] But that is pretty much a standard method of determining where and how to proceed. Fortunately, most people reply which really helps keep a "Help" forum going. [tup]

1. Would it be possible for you to post an image of the Imagery window? I'm assuming (again!!) that this is where you are seeing the blinking. BTW, instead of using the "Quick Reply" button, try the 'regular' "Reply" button under (and above) the list of posts on a page. There is a pop-up menu there that will let you select an image to upload with your reply.

2. Which version of WC are you using?

BTW #2: I assume "Mac OS 9.5" means "Mac OS 10.9.5". There was an OS 9.5, but that was quite some time ago! We assume the Mac OS X will eventually progress past the "10.x.x" version! :P At least we seem to have stopped the redundant "Mac OS X 10..." madness! [lol]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »
Perhaps you are displaying the Satellite Imagery in the WeatherCat Imagery (tool) window?

Are you saving the imagery as a video loop?

If you are having trouble uploading a screen shot of the WC Prefs/Imagery window, how about just reporting the URL, Update time setting and if it is Enabled for each channel.

If you are using the WeatherCat Imagery window (tool), what is the "Length" and "Speed" settings?
Have you tried using all three channels?

I kept the Prefs window open for several hours yesterday. Sorry, but I never saw any blinking/flickering. ???

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »
Hi gang
I was having this problem and it was even causing my WC to crash I was told to keep it from crashing to uncheck the boxes and I haven't had any crashes since best to email Stu and let him deal with your problem
Cheers [cheers1]

pcj46

• Calm
    • KCASAUSA55
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 07:30:48 PM »
Hi. Thanks for being patient. I'm still here but haven't logged back in for several days. Lots going on in San Francisco - you might have heard about some virus going around....

Easy stuff first: am using WC 3.05 and Mac OS 10.9.5 on my old 32-bit MacBookPro.
Next, I'm not the member having the "blinking" problem unless it's referring to my frustration trying to get the imagery to work.

I am displaying the Imagery window in the tools menu. Where else should I be looking?

I'm using the suggested urls in the pull down just to play with them; settings are 3 hours and "slow" speed. I assumed that once I enabled an image it would be saved. Maybe that's where the trouble is. How do I save an image other than "enabling" it?

Maybe that's enough for now for you to see if I'm doing anything fundamentally wrong. BTW, is there a way to turn on notifications so that I know if anyone has responded to a post? I'm not a regular user here.

Thanks

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »
The other way to manually view the image(s) is the "Daily View" window. That is actually the WeatherCat Controller item in the Tools Menu.

The images themselves should be saved in your user/Library/WeatherCatData/Imagery path with a name with "Imagery_" plus the time the image was captured in the format of hh_mm_dd_mm_yy plus a ".jpg" suffix. The Manual (that I have) doesn't indicate what an "animation" file might be called or where it would be stored and I suspect it is actually only 'viewable' in that "WeatherCat Imagery" window. Perhaps someone more familiar with The Manual can point out those details.

Obviously, you can preview an image in the Prefs->Imagery window and you can also select one of the channels to display on your desktop. It may not display perfectly, however, depending on how well your monitor matches the ratio of image's dimensions.

As for notifications, there is a "Notify" button at the very bottom of each thread. You can also use the Profile button in the navigation list near the top of each page. Just select the "Forum Profile" choice. On the left side of the page there is a "Notifications" item. I think the list is compiled from any threads you have selected by clicking the "Notify" button I mentioned before.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Steps to reproduce? (Re: Satellite Imagery Problem)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 09:38:57 PM »
Dear pcj46, X-Air and WeatherCat faithful,

Hi. Thanks for being patient. I'm still here but haven't logged back in for several days. Lots going on in San Francisco - you might have heard about some virus going around....

Sadly as painfully aware of the situation as you.  I'm in the San Francisco East Bay and also required to shelter-in-place.

I'm using the suggested urls in the pull down just to play with them; settings are 3 hours and "slow" speed. I assumed that once I enabled an image it would be saved. Maybe that's where the trouble is. How do I save an image other than "enabling" it?

Unfortunately, I've never used this feature of WeatherCat so I cannot help you much.  I just checked the current WeatherCat manual (the relevant section starts on page 44) and I don't see any reason for this not to work with WeatherCat 3.x.  One change that perhaps could be important is that the National Weather Service recently revamped their satellite imagery website.  The current location for Southwest images is now here:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector.php?sat=G17&sector=psw

If this feature continues to not work for you, could you please list the URL's you are trying to use and any steps we might need to reproduce your problems?

Cheers, Edouard

pcj46

• Calm
    • KCASAUSA55
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 12:36:42 AM »
Thanks for the updated satellite url. It works fine in my browser, but still gives me the "test pattern" in the imagery menu. It's got to be a glitch in the software because the default urls still show in the tools menu item no matter what url is entered in the Preferences setup window. Guess I'll see if anyone at Trixology is interested in looking into it.
Thanks for your help.