Author Topic: Hello From Galveston Texas  (Read 2958 times)

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
    • Galveston BeachFront Weather Station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with UV and IR sensors. Station is mounted on beachfront in Galveston Texa.
Hello From Galveston Texas
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »
I have had a Davis Vantage Pro 2 installed at our beach front house in Galveston for several years.  A couple of years ago I began using WeatherCat as my Davis / MacBook interface and have been very happy with the software.

I have just installed a dedicated MacBook Air with OS X Sierra and WeatherCat 2 and it is running fine.

The beachfront location is interesting in that coastal wether experiences lots of extremes, including tropical storms and hurricanes from time to time.

I use WeatherCat's CGI feature to send real time data to my website every five seconds, and that data drives real time weather dials for several rain and wind dials which I created using Bindows software.

You can view my on line station at: 

http://www.rexross.com/weather.html

In addition to the real time weather data, that web page has links to a wide variety of tropical storm/hurricane reports  photos, and other interesting local weather events which I have posted from time to time.

You might also enjoy a video I put together immediately following the devastating hit by Hurricane Ike on Galveston in 2008 .   

http://www.rexross.com/VideoIkeRetrospective.html

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hello From Galveston Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
Welcome to the WeatherCat forum Rex Ross! I was in Galveston at Moody Gardens over the holidays and have spent many happy hours on Galveston Island. We lived in Humble for 30 years and had many adventures in Galveston. We moved up into the mountains of northern Utah 10 years ago and have experienced winter since then, something we could never write do whilst living in Harris County.

Thank you for your contributions to the quality of life in Texas and for your work at UTMB.
Blick

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 with UV and IR sensors. Station is mounted on beachfront in Galveston Texa.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
Well,  thanks for the nice note.  Hope you are enjoying Utah!!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 08:21:26 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, Rex!

Enjoy those sea breezes! I noticed your Wind gauge goes up to 80! I chose 50 since it provided a nice 5 mph major divisions, we'll never even see that unless a tornado comes through! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

rexross

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
In designing the wind gauge, I simply selected 80 as a reasonable non-tropical storm event maximum for regular use.

If a storm appears likely, I can change the Bindows settings used to design that gauge  to a higher number. 

However, it is sort of moot in that should a tropical event strike, electricity and obviously the internet connection, are lost.   We do not stay on the beach front during tropical events as they can be life threatening. Hence, I just examine the weather records to determine max wind speeds during the storm.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Hello From Galveston Texas)
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:51:52 PM »
Welcome Rex to the WeatherCat forum!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]