Author Topic: Yet another web browser - Vivaldi  (Read 3332 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yet another web browser - Vivaldi
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat web surfers,

From time to time I have seen a new browser mentioned on Mac Update: Vivaldi.  Here is the listing on that website:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/53990/vivaldi

It turns out to be a creation of former developers of Opera.  They were angered by the change of direction for that browser and started another browser project.  Here is the Wikipedia article about Vivaldi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivaldi_(web_browser)

The one thing that makes me nervous to try it is that is powered by the Blink web rendering engine.  This is basically the same engine used in Google's Chrome.  Since I'm distrustful of any Google rendering engine, at the moment I'm playing chicken.  However, perhaps someone can convince me otherwise.

In any case, it is an interesting project even if it doesn't offer any particularly compelling reasons to switch.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Yet another web browser - Vivaldi
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:40 AM »
Interesting reads Edouard. Thanks for sharing. I've gone back to Safari. It syncs across all my iOS devices and iMac and is extremely fast. It doesn't have as many bells as whistles as Chrome, but like you, I have decided that Google already has enough information about me and my online habits.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »
I have to say that I am back on Safari, too. Using Firefox and Chrome from time to time, but main browsing happens in Safari. At least at the moment, but as we all know moments can change...  ;)
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Keeping bookmarks in sync (Re: Vivaldi)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 11:33:21 PM »
Dear Blick, Reinhard, and WeatherCat web surfers,

Interesting reads Edouard. Thanks for sharing. I've gone back to Safari. It syncs across all my iOS devices and iMac and is extremely fast. It doesn't have as many bells as whistles as Chrome, but like you, I have decided that Google already has enough information about me and my online habits.

Apple has its own sneaky ways to keep you using only their software.  However, for a modest investment you can have your cake and eat it too.  I use Sheep Systems BookMacster to keep my bookmarks in sync across browsers.

http://www.sheepsystems.com/products/bookmacster.html

That way my Firefox bookmarks are identical with Safari.  Because of that, my iOS devices also have exactly the same bookmarks.  In addition some websites don't work properly with privoxy or have issuez with Firefox.  That way, if I can't access a website with Firefox, I always have Safari as a "Plan-B."

This scheme isn't for everyone, but might be worth pondering since Apple and Google are starting to resemble each other.  :o

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 03:46:03 AM »
Never made sense to me to put bookmarks in an app/browser that I might stop using. There have been browser choices ever since Netscape. OTOH, lots of things don't make sense to me... My bookmark app is not Sheep.anything, but the one I use hasn't been updated for years. However, I don't use what I have to access 'bookmarks' much, anyway. I have way more bookmarks than I need, I fear it's similar to the digital camera and the way we create more 'pictures' than we ever did with film! Now, I just type a few characters of the site into the 1Password entry field... Up pops the site with my user name and password (if needed) already inserted.

Now, instead of any one browser, I'm a prisoner of 1Password! [banghead] cmu:-)

Also recommend DuckDuckGo in place of Google. Absolutely no more paid 'hits', thank you very much! As you say, "Google has enough info about me already".
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 05:05:05 AM »
Also recommend DuckDuckGo in place of Google. Absolutely no more paid 'hits', thank you very much! As you say, "Google has enough info about me already".

I tried DuckDuckGo for a couple of months. Loved the privacy, hated the search engine. Not nearly as effective at finding things as Google. Dang it. I do all my browsing in Safari in private windows.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Creature of habit. (Re: Yet another web browser - Vivaldi)
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:49:31 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat web surfers,

Never made sense to me to put bookmarks in an app/browser that I might stop using.

I've always tried to keep my bookmarks reasonably organized - because it is one of the few things that are!  That's why I'll probably always still with Mozilla products.  I've been using them for too long to do anything else.  I know enough for example to be able to move bookmark files to a new machine.  This can be handy at times.  I'll monitor the new browsers, but I really appreciate having a browser developed by a foundation that does only one thing - browsers!  For the moment I trust Mozilla more than any of the alternatives.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 12:03:55 AM »
"Trust but verify!"
 [banghead]
 [rolleyes2]
 ThU32:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
Re: Creature of habit. (Re: Yet another web browser - Vivaldi)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
I'll monitor the new browsers, but I really appreciate having a browser developed by a foundation that does only one thing - browsers!  For the moment I trust Mozilla more than any of the alternatives.

Cheers, Edouard

I still use SeaMonkey (same as the old Netscape).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
SeaMonkey a contender. (Re: Yet another web browser - Vivaldi)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »
Dear TechnoMonkey and WeatherCat web surfers,

I still use SeaMonkey (same as the old Netscape).

I also have SeaMonkey on my machine because I use the web page composer.  I have heard that is now compares favorably with browsers like Firefox that have once more become bloated.  It is certainly a reasonable choice.

Cheers, Edouard

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
Re: SeaMonkey a contender. (Re: Yet another web browser - Vivaldi)
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 12:07:40 AM »
I also have SeaMonkey on my machine because I use the web page composer.

That was the original intent with SeaMonkey (and Netscape), but now that I have gone to php, the html editor is not much use any moe.  But I love the unbloated environment.  I remember the old BBS days with 1200 baud dial-up and now we have super high speed internet with super fast computers and the pages are slower to load than the old days.  On occasion, I still use an old (1998) WallStreet Mac under OS9 with Netscape and talk about fast, the old Netscape cannot deal with all this new fangled HTML and ignores everything but the text.  Makes for great browsing. AND NO POPUPS of any sort under the old Netscape.  It seems that the main browsers of the day give priority to the graphics and ads while I am waiting for the info I came to the page to get.