Author Topic: WeatherCat not emailing  (Read 2597 times)

EyeJayEll

• Calm
    • INEWSOUT490
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro2. 27" iMac.
WeatherCat not emailing
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
Last week I changed my iCloud password and forgot to change the password in WC email preferences ( I use Mac mail). Consequently WC could not email any alerts or daily reports etc. I have since been in to preferences and changed the email password, clicked Test Now and received a test email. That night at 11 o'clock I received the normal WC has backed up email, but since then all emails have ceased!
I have been into preferences several times since to check that nothing has changed, re-entered the password and all to no avail.
When I hit "Test Now" I get the message:

MAIL TEST FAILED WeatherCat was unable to send a test email to i************.

Please check the SMTP settings. In addition some servers may REQUIRE that the 'From' field has a valid address in it.

Error: (Authentication failed).')

The SMTP settings are as they have always been since I have been using WC.

Has anybody else had this problem or have any solutions to my problem?

Thanks in advance.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Changed authentication methods? (Re: WeatherCat not emailing)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »
Dear EyeJayEll and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Last week I changed my iCloud password and forgot to change the password in WC email preferences ( I use Mac mail).

. . . .

MAIL TEST FAILED WeatherCat was unable to send a test email to i************.

Please check the SMTP settings. In addition some servers may REQUIRE that the 'From' field has a valid address in it.

Error: (Authentication failed).')

Could you have turned on two-factor authentication by chance in iCloud?  If you have you need to adjust your preferences to allow WeatherCat to authenticate "the old fashioned way."  Otherwise it won't ever work.

Cheers, Edouard 

EyeJayEll

• Calm
    • INEWSOUT490
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro2. 27" iMac.
Re: WeatherCat not emailing
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 05:37:07 AM »
Thank you, Edouard, for pointing me in the right direction.

You are right, it was the "fault" of two-factor authentication. We spoke with Apple support this morning and they managed to sort out the other problems that two-factor had caused but not the WC one. Having read your reply I dug a little deeper into iCloud and found where I could generate App specific passwords and that did the trick. Apple support didn't tell us about this APP specific password facility, all they could suggest was to uninstall Weathercat and reinstall. Thanks once again. Ian

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »
That "undocumented" effect has been there as long as the "two-factor" system has been in place. But you don't notice it until an app tries to use the Apple email system. That was one of the irritations that caused me to turn that system OFF over a year ago. Fortunately, the previously scattered info about the system has become a bit more consolidated, but it can still be daunting to locate all the details. I've thought about turning it back on after the "ransom" warnings, thanks for reminding me about the irritations. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
Wow, now I know why my eMail xxx@mac.com didn't work any more. I changed from icloud to my own mailserver, but if I had known this before maybe WeatherCat will sent its eMails still via icloud :-[
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »
Just found another problem created by changing my Apple password. [banghead] For a completely unrelated reason, I opened the margially useful Airport Utility app. Found a red dot next to the entry with my Apple ID/email address. "AHA!" I'll just click this edit button and see what happens... Amazingly, I was presented with a small dialog requesting my password. DOH! Easily copied it from 1Password and pasted it into the field. Clicked the Update button and saw the Airport monitor might and the one beside the image in the Airport Utility window go orange.

Five minutes later, it was still "updating". Took a break, left the room, my Apple Watch said I needed to "Stand", anyway. [rolleyes2]

Came back in another five minutes and found a "Something didn't work, so you are not connected to the Airport or the web" warning. "Would you like forget the Airport and remove from the LAN?" To which I replied, "Well, not really, it was working just fine 11.45 minutes ago. I simply did as you asked and this is my reward?"  [banghead]

I fell back o the K.I.S.S. principle and unpowered the Airport, counted to ten by 1.45's and re-powered the box. Naturally, it came back up. But the red dot was still beside my name.  >:(

Never one to learn from my ererz, I dug into the Utility app and entered my new password, once more.

Long story short... it worked. Once again, Apple shows things don't always just work like they used to...  [rolleyes2]

Just another of the dozen times I've had the "privilege" of entering that new password.  [banghead] [computer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad your back in business! (Re: WeatherCat not emailing)
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:25:21 PM »
Dear Ian, X-Air, Reinhard, and WeatherCat troubleshooters, 

You are right, it was the "fault" of two-factor authentication. We spoke with Apple support this morning and they managed to sort out the other problems that two-factor had caused but not the WC one. Having read your reply I dug a little deeper into iCloud and found where I could generate App specific passwords and that did the trick.

I'm glad I was able to steer you in the right direction!  :)

Wow, now I know why my eMail xxx@mac.com didn't work any more.

Sorry that you didn't check with us when that happened to you.

Long story short... it worked. Once again, Apple shows things don't always just work like they used to...  [rolleyes2]

Repeat after me:  Oh how I miss Steve Jobs!  :(

Oh well,
. . . . Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »
Quote from: elagache
Sorry that you didn't check with us when that happened to you.
Indeed.
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »

You are right, it was the "fault" of two-factor authentication. We spoke with Apple support this morning and they managed to sort out the other problems that two-factor had caused but not the WC one. Having read your reply I dug a little deeper into iCloud and found where I could generate App specific passwords and that did the trick

Thanks Edouard and Ian. Your discussion reminded me that I too need to generate an app specific password for WC.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 10:49:29 PM »
Tell me how this app-specific password works. After it is generated in your iCloud account, where do you enter it? Does it become the password of your email account in WeatherCat preferences or is it entered somewhere else in Weather Cat? Also, do you enter the dashes as part of the password?

Thanks.
Blick