Author Topic: WeatherCat Client  (Read 1702 times)

elkaybe

• Calm
    • KCALATON2
  • Station Details: VantagePro2, iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021), OS 11.6.5
WeatherCat Client
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
Is WeatherCat Client no longer needed?
I have WeatherCat 3 and WeatherCat Client both in my dock showing the same information.

I'm trying to get back online with Wunderground but cannot seem to do so.
I'm using an iMac with OS 10.13.6 and Vantage Pro 2 weather station.
I was online but lost the connection, figured it was due to needing to upgrade OS and WC and driver. Tried all of that and still no luck. I can't get WC to send a test email. Settings are what WC documentation shows as correct but no luck. I started thinking perhaps WC Client is no longer needed. Frustrated.

Thanks for any advice.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Can you tell us more about your Wunderground setup? (Re: WeatherCat Client)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:52:31 PM »
Dear elkaybe and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Is WeatherCat Client no longer needed?
I have WeatherCat 3 and WeatherCat Client both in my dock showing the same information.

WeatherCat client was never "needed" to run WeatherCat as you seem to be suggesting.  Instead WeatherCat client is intended to display the same information was WeatherCat on other computers on your home network.  There is really no point in running WeatherCat and WeatherCat client on the same computer except if you are involved in Beta testing.

I'm trying to get back online with Wunderground but cannot seem to do so.
I'm using an iMac with OS 10.13.6 and Vantage Pro 2 weather station.
I was online but lost the connection, figured it was due to needing to upgrade OS and WC and driver. Tried all of that and still no luck. I can't get WC to send a test email. Settings are what WC documentation shows as correct but no luck.

Unfortunately, you are describing a lot of symptoms that go well beyond Weather Underground.  Which email provider do you use to send emails?  If you are using iCloud you will need an application specific password.  Other services might also need special settings.

Does your computer access the Internet without any difficulty?

Weather Underground has been having problems lately as a result of a migration to the Amazon cloud architecture.  Did you make changes when you upgraded macOS that could have effected things like your keychain?  If so, WeatherCat might not have the password for Weather Underground anymore and would require you to reenter it.

Please to provide us with more details so that we can help you get reconnected with Weather Underground.

Cheers, Edouard

elkaybe

• Calm
    • KCALATON2
  • Station Details: VantagePro2, iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021), OS 11.6.5
Re: WeatherCat Client
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:52:43 PM »
Thank you, Edouard, for replying. You provided me with ideas to try. Thanks!

To just fill in some of the info I omitted previously:
I am using Apple Mail, v. 11.5
I have no problems connecting to the Internet. Or retrieving my email. I just can't get WC to send test email.
I'm not very concerned about WC sending me email tho. It just bothers me that it won't work. I'll keep playing with it.

On an up note, you prompted me to try re-entering my WU password, and clicking the stop then start button.
Miracle! That seems to be all it need to start transmitting data again. I'm not certain my weather station is showing yet but Current Status shows Reports Sent and Acknowledgments. Current Status: Running
That has been my goal. Thanks!!!

(I also quit WC Client since it's not needed.)

Happy New Year!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherCat Client
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 03:54:12 PM »
WC not sending Test email:

Can you send email to yourself from any email app on any device (other than from WC prefs)?
All I can suggest is that you verify the SMTP Sever, Port, email address, password and whether or not you need to have Authentication enabled.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Which email service are you using? (Re: WeatherCat Client)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 09:49:41 PM »
Dear elkaybe, X-Air and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

On an up note, you prompted me to try re-entering my WU password, and clicking the stop then start button.
Miracle! That seems to be all it need to start transmitting data again. I'm not certain my weather station is showing yet but Current Status shows Reports Sent and Acknowledgments. Current Status: Running
That has been my goal. Thanks!!!

I'm glad it is working now.  You may have been a victim of all the reorganization going on at Weather Underground.

I am using Apple Mail, v. 11.5
I have no problems connecting to the Internet. Or retrieving my email. I just can't get WC to send test email.
I'm not very concerned about WC sending me email tho. It just bothers me that it won't work. I'll keep playing with it.

Are you using iCloud as your email service?  If so you will need an application specific password. 

Here is a posting from our fearless leader (Stuart Ball, WeatherCat developer) with more information about it.

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2356.msg22954#msg22954

Glad you have made at least some progress.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]