Author Topic: Monolith found from Graham Hancock?s ?lost civilization?  (Read 5477 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Monolith found from Graham Hancock?s ?lost civilization?
« on: August 14, 2015, 10:08:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat armchair adventurers,

Some of you might have seen the 1998 documentary ?Quest for the Lost Civilization?  written and presented by Graham Hancock on Channel-4 in the UK or The Learning Channel in the USA.  For those who haven?t seen it (or would like to see it again) it can be see on You-Tube.  The three episodes are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1pN8UYrVRM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Ri1f5_FH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4aPLVXhco

There is a companion book that you can still find in places like Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Heavens-Mirror-Quest-Lost-Civilization/dp/0609804774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439507746&sr=8-1&keywords=heaven%27s+mirror+quest+for+the+lost+civilization

In these works, Hancock makes a passionate (if not always well reasoned) case for the existence of civilizations before the well known ones of Egypt and so on.  In particular, Hancock attempts to argue that civilizations must have existed before the end of the last ice age (around 12,000 years ago.)  This is an intriguing hypothesis, since at that time, sea levels were around 300 feet lower.  Since human habitation is frequently near the ocean?s edge, much of the evidence of such settlements would be lost by the harsh actions of seawater.

Hancock?s main lines of evidence are twofold: 1.) An extensive collection of mythology from known ancient civilizations claiming that they had arisen from ?wise gods? that to modern eyes look more like survivors from a lost civilization. 2.) An odd similarity in architecture, customs, and beliefs to be found among cultures in different parts of the world and arising at different times.  This by itself seems a weak line of inference.  However, Hancock uses astronomical alignments of ancient monuments to make a claim that all these later cultures were venerating a date of 10,500 BC.  Hancock concludes that these later civilizations were commemorating some past ?golden age? that ancients were harking back to.

All this may seem whimsical and foolhardy, but sometimes a dreamer turns out to be right after all.  Archeologists has since discovered the G?bekli Tepe site:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6bekli_Tepe

This site has been shown to be a religious center dating as far back as 14,000 years ago.  Thus, there were civilizations before the end of the last ice age.  G?bekli Tepe is an especially interesting site because it clearly dates to a period before agriculture.  At that time and location, grains grew naturally so there was no need for farming.  Without farming, there is no need for the organization normally associated with civilization.  Yet, the monuments at G?bekli Tepe consist of monoliths weighing as much as tons.  Such structures could have only been created by an organized civilization.  Based on this, Dr. Klaus Schmidt, has argued that the people who built G?bekli Tepe organized themselves in order to venerate their religion.  On this view, religion became the motivation for civilization.  The common archeological view is that civilization came first, and with the leisure civilization provides, human beings ?invented? religion.

Recently Hancock?s key hypothesis, that these ancient civilizations would most likely be found under the sea has been vindicated.  Off of Sicily, a 30 foot long monolith was found in 131 feet of water:

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/underwater-stonehenge-monolith-found-off-coast-of-sicily-150806.htm

There is good reason to doubt Hancock?s dream of a global civilization of seafarers in ancient times, but there is now good reason to believe that the ancient mythology was once more based in fact, just as Heinrich Schliemann used Homer?s Iliad to locate Troy.

There are two lessons to learn from this.  One is a cautionary tale about trusting the judgement of the scientific establishment.  When Hancock presented his ideas, he was dismissed out of hand.  As was true when Alfred Wegener presented his ideas on continental drift, Hancock was rejected because his views didn?t fit into the theories of the time.  Eventually, Alfred Wegener would be vindicated by the theory of plate tectonics.  Now Hancock is at least partially vindicated by these later discoveries.  Science was founded by social outsiders who sought methodologies to avoid misconceptions that had plagued earlier world views.  The very controversy behind early science encouraged a caution and discipline that ultimately overcame its sceptics.  Today, Science is a powerful global institution with its own politics and economics.  It is also self-policing and therefore just as vulnerable to the corruptions of the religion institutions it supplanted.  We have a right to demand only the highest standards of scientific practice and we are not getting what we deserve.

The second lesson is about Hancock?s quest for sacred knowledge and the possibility of human spirituality in that very early time.  Hancock?s perspective is of course modern, but his comparative sense of mythology does paint our ancestors as seeking the very same things we still seek.  The spiritual mechanisms look vastly different, but even thousands of year ago, the quest for immortality already existed.  Considering the crude and unforgiving conditions of those early civilizations, it seems very remarkable that the concept of immortality could even exist.  Life was undoubtably short and harsh for even the best off.  If immortality could have been sought by those earliest of faith-seekers, perhaps it should give us fresh confidence that this quest isn?t in vain.  For to even have a concept of immortality would have required more than imagination, surely it was an inspiration that could not have come from their difficult surroundings.  If tens of thousands of years ago, people could be inspired to seek immortality, is that not proof enough that the every possibility is divinely inspired?

Edouard

P.S. If you want to learn more about G?bekli Tepe site, the National Geographic documentary ?Cradle of the gods? is also available on You-Tube:

https://youtu.be/AkoVZ8uzygI

P.P.S. If you have the technology to do it, definitely watch ?Quest for the Lost Civilization? on a big screen.  It isn?t simply intellectually interesting, it is a wonderful example of the art of documentary making that is very rare these days.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Monolith found from Graham Hancock?s ?lost civilization?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:11:19 PM »
Thanks Edouard! An interesting read about a subject with profound implications. Once again you have expanded our horizons. When I get time, I will pursue this more.

[cheers1]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
You-Tube entertainment (Re: Monolith found from ?lost civilization?)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat armchair adventurers,

Thanks Edouard! An interesting read about a subject with profound implications. Once again you have expanded our horizons.

Glad you liked it.  Honestly,  Graham Hancock is more of an artist than a scientist, but in this case he did hit the nail on the head.

When I get time, I will pursue this more.

I don't know how many WeatherCatters can do this, but I'm starting to find that You-Tube is increasingly a viable source for all sorts of entertainment.  It has a treasure-trove of old animated cartoons that never made it to DVD.  There is an amazing amount of music videos.  There is even more Boogie Woogie music than you'd ever expect.  Finally there is a surprising amount of oddball material that you won't find anywhere else.   Last night we watched a hour compilation of "home" movies made during Richard E. Byrd's Antarctic Service Expedition (1939-1940)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt2mG27EYZk

It was a silent film with no real plot, but instead a collection of film clips from expedition members taken mostly in the Antarctic.  Still, on hot night with air conditioner blowing real hard, it was a way to beat the heat!

I'm downloading video from You-Tube to my Mac and then using software that allows our TiVo to display the videos stored on my Mac.  TiVo can view You-Tubes directly and other devices such as DVD players and Google's Chromecast also give you access to videos on your big-screen TV.  So if you hadn't thought about adding Internet video sources to your TV viewing, it is something worth considering.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. One advantage of my technique is that you can download videos anytime during the day and then play them as fast as your network will permit.  If you try to stream from You-Tube directly, you might get delays because too many people are accessing the You-Tube servers at the same time.  That's why I switched to this more complex system.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 06:49:00 AM »
Thanks Edouard.

Where I'm at, here in the less densely populated tropical err? temperate rain forest (who knows, right? 45.15" so far this year), 6mbps DSL streams HD videos very well on Netflix at any time of day.

I have stumbled on to some very interesting material on YouTube, but it was generally through recommendations from discriminating fellow students like yourself. And I might say, the occasional subscription channel email.

Here lately, and this probably wont be of interest to you, I've been watching a guy named Paul Soares play a survival simulation game called ARK Survival Evolved. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEbtIY4p_ltrbjNaWut_a6enJfFOmnSnl

He has already posted 28 episodes averaging about 20 minutes each, and he is making money at it through YouTube's advertising revenue sharing program.

The game is in Beta release; or perhaps it's pre-Beta. I don't know. It is scheduled for release around July of 2016. I coughed up ~$27 for my copy of it to play, but it was too laggy to be entertaining on my meager 2011 iMac. It needs much work on code optimization. Paul Soares must have super fast computer. It plays well for him, and he is also capturing video at the same time.

The game is set in the dinosaur era, and the player starts out on a beach, unclothed and gathering berries to eat while trying to fashion crude tools and weapons. Wandering too far, too soon might make you prey, yet you're going to need to find prey in order to ultimately survive. A shelter must be built as well. The desert nights are very cold, and daytime temperatures are mostly mild.

Paul does a very good job of narrating his adventure and keeps it entertaining.

I noticed that AppleTV and YouTube no longer work together. I have 2nd generation AppleTVs on both my 52" TVs. I wont upgrade the AppleTVs until they come out with the next generation (4?). It's supposed to encompass network streaming subscriptions, and be a major revision of the hardware and software. So for now, it's YouTube on the big 27" screen!

[computer]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Internet TV like old west (Was: Graham Hancock?s ?lost civilization?)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »
Howdy Herb and WeatherCat watchers of diverse video,

Where I'm at, here in the less densely populated tropical err? temperate rain forest (who knows, right? 45.15" so far this year), 6mbps DSL streams HD videos very well on Netflix at any time of day.

The only problems I've seen is trying to stream You-Tube directly on our TiVo and it appeared to be a problem with the You-Tube servers themselves being overloaded.  So it is a problem limited to You-Tube stuff.

I have stumbled on to some very interesting material on YouTube, but it was generally through recommendations from discriminating fellow students like yourself. And I might say, the occasional subscription channel email.

I haven't done much in the way of searchers on You-Tube.  However, it is quite easy to locate music videos and there is a lot of stuff that has been contributed by musicians and not pirated in way way.  For example, there is quite a collection of Scott Joplin's music played by Cory Hall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d72mZVxdylA&list=PLFB7AC4F189BD2C2F

Here lately, and this probably wont be of interest to you, I've been watching a guy named Paul Soares play a survival simulation game called ARK Survival Evolved.

I'm not a gamer so indeed not my cup of tea.  However, You-Tube is also a very handy resource for How-To information.  Quite often, I'll search for some technique and find a You-Tube video that shows how to accomplish something.  When you are trying to learn how to do something, it also does help to view an instructional video on your big-screen TV.

I noticed that AppleTV and YouTube no longer work together. I have 2nd generation AppleTVs on both my 52" TVs. I wont upgrade the AppleTVs until they come out with the next generation (4?). It's supposed to encompass network streaming subscriptions, and be a major revision of the hardware and software. So for now, it's YouTube on the big 27" screen!

If you do have an interest in bringing videos to your TVs but don't want to spend a lot of money, you might consider the Google Chromecast:

http://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/

At $35 it certainly won't break the bank.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »
The Google Chromecast? I'll just wait for the next iteration of the AppleTV. It's likely to appear around September 9. That's not long to wait.

I have found instructional videos supplied through YouTube to be very useful for many different things. Currently, I'm in the process of replacing the cooling coil fan on my refrigerator, thanks to a YouTube video showing me how. Just waiting on the part to arrive. I've already removed the fan with an over heating and noisy motor. But, I've also used YouTube to learn how to replace the hard drive in my iMac with a solid state drive and to pour concrete for an outdoor step bridging a rain runoff channel. There's even plenty of good vids teaching the structure of buying and selling put and call options on equities.

In fact now that you mention it, I use YouTube even more than I thought before we had this conversation.

[lol2]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Herb, and WeatherCat Internet video consumers,

The Google Chromecast? I'll just wait for the next iteration of the AppleTV. It's likely to appear around September 9. That's not long to wait.

Sorry, I misunderstood you.  It seemed that you had lost interest in Apple TV.

In fact now that you mention it, I use YouTube even more than I thought before we had this conversation.

I second the observation!

At least my my opinion, it is much more difficult and more work to make videos than collections to still photographs.  Nonetheless, people have embraced software like iMovie and really created some nice looking videos even if it is nothing more than how to wire up your model railroad.  Honestly, I could use less of the fluff.  I don't need fancy banners when I'm trying to learn more about ratchet crimpers!