Author Topic: Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager createLocation - (no path)  (Read 3959 times)

billtucson

• Calm
    • CW8335
    • KAZTUCSO86
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2; LWC2 on iMac 10.6
My iMac software (10.5.8) died and I'm in the process of reinstalling it all. LWC2 will not reload - I kept getting an odd message after 99% of it was loaded (and Davis weather station was recognized). So I decided to try WeatherCat. Now I get the exact same message:  "Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager createLocation - (no path) Couldn't create data set. WeatherCat will quit." The it freezes and I have to do a Force Quit. I'm in the process of getting a snow leopard upgrade to 10.6+, perhaps that will help. Anyone have this problem before?

Thanks...

Bill - Tucson AZ.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Bill and WeatherCat fans,

My iMac software (10.5.8) died and I'm in the process of reinstalling it all. LWC2 will not reload - I kept getting an odd message after 99% of it was loaded (and Davis weather station was recognized). So I decided to try WeatherCat. Now I get the exact same message:  "Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager createLocation - (no path) Couldn't create data set. WeatherCat will quit." The it freezes and I have to do a Force Quit. I'm in the process of getting a snow leopard upgrade to 10.6+, perhaps that will help.

Certainly a strange error and I've never seen anything like that in my forum monitoring of LWC or WeatherCat.

The error message suggests a possible problem though.  LWC (and WeatherCat) try to create their data in the Library folder of your "home" (user account) directory.  Something like this in UNIX-styled pathnames:

~/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1

Would you be trying to get WeatherCat started before you got your user directories straightened out somehow?  Perhaps some administrator privileges are out of whack so that this path isn't accessible to WeatherCat?  You might try running the "fix permissions" of Disk First-Aid and see if that helps.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager createLocation - (no path)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »
Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.

WeatherCat couldn't write a file to your disk - in fact the (no path) bit means it could create a folder.

Check your disk isn't out of space (it happens), then check the permissions followed by a disk check (via Disk Utility). If that all checks out OK, run a longer term disk test over a few hours to see if any errors crop up. If that's OK, run a RAM test

I would get LWC running again first, before running WeatherCat, so when it imports your LWC data it has an up to date data set to import.

Hope this helps,
Stu.

billtucson

• Calm
    • CW8335
    • KAZTUCSO86
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 12:44:02 AM »
Never did figure out what that error was - for a number of reasons I did a clean install again and now all is well. Well, almost. My Davis Pro Vantage2 which I have run successfully for years cannot be recognized by either LWC2 or WeatherCat. I have the data logger installed as usual in the back of the console, have plugged and unplugged and rebooted 20 times, and have reinstalled the SLAB_USBtoUART driver 10 times but nothing seems to work to get the software to recognize the console. ARGHH!!!

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
Hi Bill

If it's first time the software is identifying the station, both LWC and WeatherCat seem to default to Davis Monitor/wizard which is the first station on the list of Davis stations. Have you tried going to Tools/Configure Station Comms,  in the drop down menu you can then pick your Vantage2.

JC

billtucson

• Calm
    • CW8335
    • KAZTUCSO86
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:42:39 PM »
Got it up and running. Had to go to Davis weather site and found that they now have a different USB bridge from the one I used for years. I uploaded it and all is well.  Any idea how I can import several years of LWC2 data into WeatherCat? It didn't offer to do it when I loaded WC.  Cheers.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »
Hi Bill,
You'll have to remove your existing WeatherCatData folder (~/Library/WeatherCatData, where ~ is your home directory), then launch WeatherCat. If it can't find a WeatherCatData folder it looks for an LWCData folder, if it finds it, it offers to import, if none is found it'll create the WeatherCat data folder and run with that.

This assumes the same user is running LWC and WeatherCat - the folders must be owned by the same user.

After the import, you'll have to check the email settings as some of them can't be imported.

[Edit: Also get the latest Silicon Labs driver - see http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=327.0 for details].

Stu.

billtucson

• Calm
    • CW8335
    • KAZTUCSO86
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 03:01:25 AM »
Thanks, the data transfer looked very good until the last second when I got this message: "File import error: ?10_LWC_Data.lw2? couldn?t be moved because you don?t have permission to access ?2009?. with file: /Users/bill/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1/2009/10_LWC_Data.lw2. The import failed - the data was not imported. WeatherCat will quit." The it freezes and I have to do a force quit. Not sure why I don't have permission to access one single file within hundreds of files of LWC data, one month of one years data. Computer oddity no doubt.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try fixing permissions again. (Re: Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager)
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
Hi Bill and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks, the data transfer looked very good until the last second when I got this message: "File import error: ?10_LWC_Data.lw2? couldn?t be moved because you don?t have permission to access ?2009?. with file: /Users/bill/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1/2009/10_LWC_Data.lw2. The import failed - the data was not imported. WeatherCat will quit." The it freezes and I have to do a force quit. Not sure why I don't have permission to access one single file within hundreds of files of LWC data, one month of one years data. Computer oddity no doubt.

You might have a genuine UNIX file permission error that was caused by moving files around from one drive to another.

You can try the fixing permissions again using the Disk Tools utility.

However, you might have to make a manual repair in this case.  If you use the "Get Info" option on the Finder, you'll get a window like this:

When everything is correct, you should that the owner of the file is your user name (in my case elagache.)  When you copy things from one drive to another they can get messed up and become things like root, admin, wheel, and other "super-users."

You'll need to manually change the ownership of the files to "you" which you can do from that Get Info window.

That should allow WeatherCat to then import the files.

Hope this helps, if this is a little confusing by all means ask for elaboration.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]