Author Topic: Yet another heat index: Summer Simmer Index  (Read 4181 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yet another heat index: Summer Simmer Index
« on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:22 PM »
Dear WeatherCat victims of hot humid summers,

Well, I rather doubt having a number that represents your misery really helps, but apparently researchers never stop trying.  The EuroWx website includes the forecast for the: Summer Simmer Index

Well, this sort of a thing won't escape the Google treatment.  I soon found this website:

http://www.summersimmer.com/

It appears to be not very well implemented there are no links.  However, Google dredged up a table for comparison:

http://www.summersimmer.com/ssi.htm

The website describes it as follows:

The subject article, entitled ?the New Summer Simmer Index ? a Comfort Index for the New Millennium? was presented to an international audience at the 80th annual meeting of the AMS at Long Beach, California, on January 11, 2000. 

Acclaimed by meteorologists and climatologists, the author believes it to be the most reliable indicator available as to how hot it feels due to the combined effects of temperature and humidity.  It is derived from continuous research over the past 75 years.  Based on sound scientific and physiological principles relating to the human thermo-regulatory system, it is written to relate to a dry environment for general public acceptance.  Importantly, it can be used as a warning of the dangers of heat exhaustion and heatstroke. Heat stress producing zones, based on military studies, private research, and norms adopted by he NWS, are provided.

Certainly makes some lofty claims.  I see something else that I find disturbing.  Summer Simmer Index is a registered trademark.  Somebody is trying to make some cool cash on their research and that could mean somebody like Stu would have to pay royalties to include this in WeatherCat.  That sort of thing makes me a little hot under the collar. 

However, it is certainly something we should all be aware of - so now you are!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2 (daytime FARS) w/ Macbook OS 10.9.2
Re: Yet another heat index: Summer Simmer Index
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
Good leg work, Edouard. Thanks for scooping us!

Keith