Author Topic: Are We Vulnerable To Law Suits?  (Read 6406 times)

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro2 (daytime FARS) w/ Macbook OS 10.9.2
Re: Are We Vulnerable To Law Suits?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
Still waiting to hear back from my lawyer who is on vacation.

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
Although I still haven't heard back from my LLC attorney, the following LLC web page pretty much explains it all. At the bottom of the page is a list of all states that will take you to more specific state laws. Bottom line, from what I glean, adequate additional liability insurance is the wise move; having a single-member LLC is in itself far from adequate protection against liability.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/limited-liability-protection-llcs-a-50-state-guide.html

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 11:01:42 AM »
I am and will be uncertain as to the position on this side of the pond. I would simply say how sad it is that those of us who enjoy our weather and want to share out enjoyment with others, now feel threatened enough to need insurance. I am sure you guys will need to take action in view of the advice you are finding. If it comes to it then I shall take down my website or make it for friends and family only. As it is very few folk look at it so it is not a major problem for me. Odd really when you think that the weather is all the British seem to talk about .
It will be interesting to hear what your attorney does say in due course.

Best wishes

Mike

KeithC

• Strong Breeze
    • Denton Rainfall
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 07:42:48 PM »
Although my attorney (the one who created my LLC) finally responded to my question, he was unhelpful unless I wanted to pay for his counsel - which I do not. Like I said, it is my understanding that an LLC is okay protection, but not bulletproof. Additional liability insurance should be seriously considered.

Sorry I couldn't give a definitive attorney's response. I have failed you. And now I must wander away from the village and into the desert in shame...

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
Hi Keith
 I still think that if you put on your web site that this Weather Information is for your personal use and that it is posted as a hobby and that the people viewing your weather information should always contact the NWS or the local news media for a more accurate weather information that this information  posted here is not a guaranteed to be accurate for any other purpose than a hobby. How anyone can sue you.

cheers
 [cheers1]

Will Woodgate

• Calm
    • IDEVONPL7
    • PL4 Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless, MacBook Air, Mountain Lion 10.8
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
I'm no lawyer. But to answer the question "Are We Vulnerable To Law Suits?" I'd say (in my opinion) that hobbiest weather observers and forecasters are at no more risk of getting sued, compared with your average internet user on Twitter or Facebook.

I think people that want to cause trouble, who want to sue and want to claim damages are far more likely to run after the media or a weather organisation like NOAA or the Met Office (as has happened in the past). I have been unable to find any documented cases of individuals getting sued for publishing private weather data online.

Providing you've implied somewhere on your website that your weather station is not official and is done as a hobby, really you've done all that you can. You could also stipulate that your data is provided 'as-is' and is released under an opensource license (like creative commons or something). That takes away a lot of responsibility from you.

The only time I can see justification for suing an individual would be if they were publishing dangerous information online - like fake weather warnings or tornado warnings. Clearly a line has been crossed at that point, and lives would be endangered if the information was incorrect.

Like I say, I'm no lawyer. That is just how I see things from my perspective. I have no concerns publishing data online.

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
Years ago I checked in with my lawyer about many things, including posting my weather data on a public site.  The first thing I got was, "a what", and after explanation I got an answer, "The Weather is a Natural Force, you can't make it do what you want, Weather does what ever Weather wants to do" therefore you can't sue the weatherman, or the person collecting the weather data.  She did recommend a disclaimer and here is mine.....

Disclaimer:  This site is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon during severe weather conditions.
Please tune in to NOAA Weather Radio 162.55 Mhz (online use this link NOAA KEC74) for severe weather updates and alerts.
As always, use with caution, your milage may vary, may cause dizziness at high altitudes, possibility of information overload, become an amateur radio operator and join SkyWARN,
wear your galloshes and carry a stout umbrella, if you don't like our weather, wait five minutes, it will change, don't ignore the weather sirens, weather alerts, watches or warnings!
Take a Weather Spotter to Lunch!  Hug Your Weather Person!  If the weather happens to change, don't blame us, it's not our fault!  If the weather happens to change, and you like it, it's our fault!
For more information go to the NOAA National Weather Service Website
And when in doubt....... It's always best to go outside and LOOK!
Contact information for N9CXI, e-mail to N9CXI @ N9CXI.NET (no spaces)
Weather data produced by Trixology Weather Cat V1.02, Build 4 by Stuart Ball, this template by Thomas O'Nan
Data acquisition from a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Weather Station.
Computing Facilities are on a MacIntosh G5 Quad system with 6 GB Ram and 6 TB inline data storage.
Weather Camera provided by Thomas O'Nan in association with a university project grant.
Images collected at a rate of 1 frame every 4 seconds with viewing to the North unless otherwise specified.
Images processed by EvoCam in cooperation with Weather Cat.
For more information goto the N9CXI information site with this link N9CXI Weather Station
Please note, this is software that is still in Beta testing, I am assisting in that effort, at times
there may be some problems with the output to this site, so please be patient with me while I work on things.
Thanks
Original content images and movie/video files are Copyright Thomas O'Nan 2009-2013
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!