Author Topic: Steel Gauges Beginner  (Read 16594 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Steel Gauges Beginner
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »
I am just getting started with a website and, like most adventures in my life,  I don't know what I am doing. I want to add a Steel Gauges page, I have read the wiki and downloaded the latest template (2.4.4 released Aug 24, 2013). I followed the wiki instructions for tweaking the gauges.js file and FTPd the steel folder to my website. I made the adjustments in WeatherCat preferences. Now all I have left to do is the hard stuff.

Is it possible for someone to help me understand how I get the gauges to show on the actual page on my site? I know it's a dumb question but I'm really not sure how to proceed. I am using WordPress 3.6 but I'm new at it and this is my first attempt at a page that contains something other than text and jpegs.

I did manage to get a WeatherCat banner functioning on the site, so I am not a total eejit.

Any tutoring will be sincerely appreciated.
Blick

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: Steel Gauges Beginner
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »
Hi Blick,

Can you see the Gauges on your web page if you point your browser directly to the guages-ss-basic.htm page?
As an example; in my case this is http://www.weerenmeer.nl/wxi/steel/gauges-ss-basic.htm

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
Can you see the Gauges on your web page if you point your browser directly to the guages-ss-basic.htm page?

This is the screenshot of what I get when I point my browser at gauges-ss-basic.htm.
Blick

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »
Can you provide a link to your SS page, then we can take a look :)
Mark

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »
Hmm... it could be that not all files ended up in the correct directories on your website server.

Can you check (using your FTP program) that the directory 'steel' on your server looks like this first screenshot, and the 'steel/scripts' subdirectory like the 2nd screenshot --- i.e. has the right subdirectories and files?

Jos

P.S. Suggest not to use wordpress for this for the time being - get the 'raw' files working first.  :)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 06:07:21 AM »
Mark & Jos:

Thanks for your replies. I have been out of town for a few days and am now back on the job.

I realise that screen shots are not as effective as a link but I can't figure out how to let you through the security to the linked pages. I attached four screens shots. The first one shows my root directory, the second one shows the steel directory underneath the root. The third one shows the scripts directory. The fourth shows a section of my gauges.js file as edited.

Note that the updated version of realtimegaugesWC.txt is located in the root, whilst, the original, un-updated version is in the steel directory. Should I delete the one in the steel directory?

I only have one ftp path in WeatherCat and that is going to the root as you can see by the presence of the WeatherCatBanner.jpg file.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Blick

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
So do you connect to http://xxxxxx/steel/gauges-ss-basic.htm ?

Try setting the path in gauges.js to "../realtimegaugesWC.txt"
Mark

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 05:06:44 PM »
Try setting the path in gauges.js to "../realtimegaugesWC.txt"

Making Progress! But ...

When I made your suggested change in gauges.js, I connected to the steel/gauges-ss-basic.htm for the first time. However, the scrolling banner at the top reads, "The weather station is currently offline. Last update 4 days ago"

I currently have the realtimegaugesWC.txt FTP update set to .10 minutes (6 seconds) and my WeatherCat Log says the FTP is happening. I know the FTP path is set correctly because the WeatherCat Banner.jpg is updating correctly. I know that the realtimegaugesWC.txt on my local drive is updating because I can see it. One curious thing is that if I open the most recent update of realtimegaugesWC.txt on my local drive, the first two lines read:

{"date":"30/08/13",
"timeUTC":"2013,8,30,23,27,6",

Shouldn't they show the current date and time? The file date and time are set at today at 10:05 am (that is the correct local time).
Blick

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
Yes, correct. It should say the current date - assuming you are looking at realtimegaugesWC.txt in WC's save path:
/users/--username--/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/

In the HTML source path it should show the original file, without values in them, i.e. looks like:
{"date":"de$",
"timeUTC":"DUTC$",
...etc.

Is it possible that the file you have WeatherCat processing is not the original one (has actual values rather than the tags)?

Your screenshots look OK. Note the uploaded realtimegaugesWC.txt should end up in the /steel/ directory on your server, not the root.

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 12:27:29 AM »
It should say the current date - assuming you are looking at realtimegaugesWC.txt in WC's save path:
/users/--username--/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/

Get Info for realtimegaugesWC.txt in the Set Save Path shows the file being updated every 6 seconds but when I open the file, it shows the following on the first two lines:

{"date":"30/08/13",
"timeUTC":"2013,8,30,23,27,6",

In the HTML source path it should show the original file, without values in them, i.e. looks like:
{"date":"de$",
"timeUTC":"DUTC$",
...etc.

Yes, that is what I show.

Is it possible that the file you have WeatherCat processing is not the original one (has actual values rather than the tags)?

It does not appear to me that I am doing that.

Note the uploaded realtimegaugesWC.txt should end up in the /steel/ directory on your server, not the root.

Mine is in the root and is the same location as WeatherCatBanner.jpg, which is updating correctly, every ten minutes. There is only one FTP upload path permitted for WeatherCat so the banner and the realtimegaugesWC.txt have to upload to the same directory. It makes more sense to me to keep the upload directory in the root than to put the banner in Seel, where it does not belong.

UPDATE: My gauges are working for a minute. The Status Light turned green and the banner displayed the forecast. However, after the countdown went to zero, the light turned red and the banner displayed:

"The weather station is currently offline. Last update 3 minutes ago"

After nine minutes it worked again for 60 seconds.

My Main FTP Upload is set to update every 10 minutes. That is for the Banner. The Additional Files tab is set to upload the realtimegaugesWX.txt file every .1 minutes. It appears to me that the steel gauges are only being updated every 10 minutes, even though the WeatherCat log shows the realtimegaugesWX.txt file is updating every 6 seconds.

Can someone please enlighten me?
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
Hi Blick
 if you are doing your to root as I am and not a Steel folder at root
your gauges.js file
should look like this:

var gauges = (function () {
    var strings = LANG.EN,         //Set to your default language. Store all the strings in one object
        config = {
            // Script configuration parameters you may want to 'tweak'
            scriptVer         : '2.2.0 - 2013-02-14',
            weatherProgram    : 3,                      //Set 0=Cumulus, 1=Weather Display, 2=VWS, 3=WeatherCat
            imgPathURL        : '/',             //*** Change this to the relative path for your 'Trend' graph images
            oldGauges         : 'gauges.htm',           //*** Change this to the relative path for your 'old' gauges page.
            counter           : 60,                     //download data counter (secs, default 60)
            gaugeMobileScaling: 0.85,                   //scaling factor to apply when displaying the gauges mobile devices, set to 1 to disable
            graphUpdateTime   : 15,                     //period of popup data graph refesh, in minutes (default 15)
            stationTimeout    : 3,                      //period of no data change before we declare the station offline, in minutes (default 3)
            pageUpdateLimit   : 0,                     //period after which the page stops automatically updating, in minutes (default 20),
                                                        // - set to 0 (zero) to disable this feature
            pageUpdatePswd    : 'its-me',               //password to over ride the page updates timeout, do not set to blank even if you do not use a password
            digitalFont       : true,                   //Font control for the gauges & timer
            digitalForecast   : true,                   //Font control for the status display, set this to false for languages that use accented characters in the forecasts
            showPopupData     : true,                   //Popup data displayed
            showPopupGraphs   : true,                   //If popup data is displayed, show the graphs?
            showWindVariation : true,                   //Show variation in wind direction over the last 10 minutes on the direction gauge
            showIndoorTempHum : true,                   //Show the indoor temperature/humidity options
            showUvGauge       : true,                   //Display the UV Index gauge
            showSolarGauge    : true,                   //Display the Solar gauge
            showRoseGauge     : true,                   //Show the optional Wind Rose gauge
            showRoseGaugeOdo  : true,                   //Show the optional Wind Rose gauge Windrun Odometer
            showGaugeShadow   : true,                   //Show a drop shadow outside the gauges
                                                        // The realtime files should be absolute paths, "/xxx.txt" refers to the public root of your web server
            realTimeURL_Cumulus: 'realtimegauges.txt',     //*** Cumulus Users: Change to your location of the realtime file ***
            realTimeURL_WD     : 'customclientraw.txt',    //*** WD Users: Change to your location of the ccr file ***
            realTimeURL_VWS    : 'steelseriesVWSjson.php', //*** VWS Users: Change to your location of the JSON script generator ***
            realTimeURL_WC     : '/realtimegaugesWC.txt',   //*** WeatherCat Users: Change to your location of the JSON script generator ***
            useCookies        : true,                   //Persistently store user preferences in a cookie?
            tipImages         : [],
            dewDisplayType    : 'app'                   //Initial 'scale' to display  'dew' - Dewpoint
                                                        // on the 'dewpoint' gauge.   'app' - Apparent temperature

hope this helps
cheers
 [cheers1]

Also do you have your Scripts and Image file upload to root

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 05:19:17 AM »
Thanks Randall, but as I stated in my earlier posts, I am using the Steel folder.

I believe I have narrowed my problem down to the FTP settings, which are as follows:

Enable Custom Web Pages is checked
Set HTML Source = /Users/Me/Documents/Steel Gauges/steel
Set Save Path = /Users/Me/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/
Enable FTP Upload is checked
Update Web Pages Every 10 minutes
Sync. to Weather Fetch is checked
Edit FTP Details is set to the root of my website
Additional Files is set to  /Users/Me/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/realtimegaugesWC.txt
Under Options, Enabled is checked, FTP is checked and Period is set to 0.1 minutes
In Banner Generator the WeatherCatBanner is set to create a new image every 10 minutes and FTP to Custom Web is checked

The Gauges are working for three minutes, followed by 7 minutes of the the status light in gauges-ss-basic.htm turning red and the message states that the station is not active. Then the light turns green and the gauges work again for 3 minutes.

I am trying to update the WeatherCatBanner.jpg every 10 minutes and the Steel Gauges every 6 seconds. The WeatherCat log shows that this is what I am doing, but the gauges will only run three minutes out of ten. If some can straighten me out I will be thrilled for the help.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »
Hi blick
 If you are uploading this to a web site  your set HTML Source should be /users/xxx/Library/Application Support/WeatheCatCustomWeb Source folder ( see pasge 118 in manual)
The only thing that need to be done is have WeatherCat process the realtimegaugesWC.text to your /users/xxx/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb it will then upload it to your web site and if you have the rest of the files for Steel Gauges at your web site  in the Steel folder then it should work

Are you using the Steel Folder in your Documents as your Source folder for all of your WeatherCat Templete

cheers
 [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
Hi Randall:

Thanks for trying to help me sort this.

your set HTML Source should be /users/xxx/Library/Application Support/WeatheCatCustomWeb Source folder ( see pasge 118 in manual)

I'm not seeing this in the manual. The example in the manual shows the HTML Source set to a folder on the desktop.

The manual recommends the Save Set Path to be /users/xxx/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb/ which is how mine is set.

I'm not sure what the HTML Source should be set at but I don't think it needs to be the same as the Save Path.

Are you using the Steel Folder in your Documents as your Source folder for all of your WeatherCat Templete

No, that is just where I stored the original steel folder before I FTP'd it to the website.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
Hi Blick
 Not telling you change anything just trying to help
I see your WeatherCat Banner is not showing up on your post at the forum
I have mine set like this (just to show an example)
/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/WeatherCat Custom Web Templetes(Set HTML Source)
/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/WeatherCat CustomWeb(Set Save Path)

All of my Extra things like WeatherCat Banner.jpg and realtimegaugesWC.text and others are in the Set HTML Source Folder
Then WC processes it to the Set Save Path Folder then it is uploaded to your Web Site

At the root of your Web site you should have a folder called Steel in that folder will be all the files and folders css folder,Customclientrawlocal.text,gauges-ss-basic-inc.php,gauges-ss-basic.html,gauges-ssT.html,Images folder,ReadMe.txt,realtimesgaugesT.txt.realtimegaugesWC.txt,Scripts Folder,steelsriesVWSjson.php
this should set the Path to your steel gauges something like this (www.your web site/Steel/gauges-ss-basic.html)

There also should be a page in wiki on Wc about this

Hope this info sheds some light to help you get it going
cheers
 [cheers1]

PS Read the atteched to see if it helps