Author Topic: Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma  (Read 8536 times)

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
  • Station Details: Vantage pro2 with 24hr. fan, with concole. Davis data logger, weathercat , Mac 27 inch
Re: Better luck
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »
Ya steve, that exactly why I put it on the slope and not on the peak of the roof. I was hiding the bulky legs of the tripod behind the rigde of the roof so you can only see the poll from the front of the house and the road. ( nice morning glories behind your ISS!! )

I've been in a heavy debate with myself about looking at R2D2 right by my deck, right in our main viewing area, or putting it up on the roof. I know from reading as well as you guy mentioning it right away that the ISS would be more accurate on ground level. I thought maybe a degree or two off on the temp, would be worth the trade off of having to look at R2D2 all the time. That's one of the reasons I bought the 24 hr fan model. But I have decided to move it to the ground ( I think) after all. I guess the humidity would also be off a bit as well. as I've said I've got a nice piece of property and spent a LOT of time and money on landscaping and making my property look nice. A giant metal tripod with R2D2 on top does not exactly go with the decore  :-\

Thanks guys for all the tips on resizing !! The resize tool in preferences sounds like it nice and easy to use. I found a free app called 'SimpleResize' ( go figure) for the iPad that seems to work. I like to snap simple pics with my iPhone , have them show up on my iPad through photo steam and sit in my lazy boy in the evenings and use my iPad as apposed to sitting at my computer desk. I found that 480x640 seems to fit nice without having to scroll sideways.

xairbusdriver, thanks for the links , some cool pics in those forums , nice to see how others do things.

One more question and probably time to move this to another topic but can someone give me the link to how you guys go about getting your own mini websites at the bottom of your posts. I will set mine up soon. In the mean time I would like to know how Edouard gets the simple weather underground link under his web page at the bottom of his posts.

Thanks again everyone's! Tobin
"I'll try everything in my life, things I like, I'll try em twice"

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Banner
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 01:13:19 AM »
Banner Info

Don't discount that with good gardening and landscaping skills you can hide your ISS behind or in something evergreen. Our ISS is in a side yard so it isn't seen from the back porch.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 04:28:33 AM »
The most difficult problem for me was to find a spot with the most horizontal clearance from the house and trees. You mentioned having lots of wind, so your ISS needs to be as far from any "rain shadow" as possible to get accurate rain data. Hopefully, your wife won't notice your cutting down all the trees in a 200' radius of the ISS... [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 05:58:55 PM »
Thanks for cajoling me into creating a banner, dfw_pilot! [blush] It's not often an F/O can get a left-seater to do anything he hadn't thought of! [rolleyes2] [lol] I did have to edit my .htaccess file a bit, however. [computer] I was blocking any requests for ".jpg" and several other image files. I think that was from a suggestion I read somewhere on preventing 'hot-linking' to ones images.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
Thanks for cajoling me into creating a banner, dfw_pilot! [blush]

'bout time. Looks good.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 06:14:35 PM »
Thanks! I may be slow, but then I peter out... I just get envious when some young whipper-snapper makes a better 'landing' than I did! [rolleyes2] Of course, that's usually pure luck... for them, not me!!! [lol]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
F/O Banner
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 09:35:57 PM »
Hey, nice banner!!

You know what they say about F/O's . . . they're a dime a dozen.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
they're a dime a dozen
Inflation raises its ugly head, again! [banghead]  [rockon]  [lol]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the installation photos (Re: Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma )
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 11:30:27 PM »
Dear Tobin and WeatherCat weather instrument placement consultants,

I'm catching up on this thread as well.

Ironically enough, when we were on the roof, the win was 0 mph which is very unusual here. Calm before the storm I guess. Here's some pic's of install day...

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your installation.  It is an interesting way to set your station up.  If you feel up to it, you might cut and paste your discussion and include it on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1842.0

It always helps a newcomer to have some idea how others set up their weather instruments.

Thanks again!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
  • Station Details: Vantage pro2 with 24hr. fan, with concole. Davis data logger, weathercat , Mac 27 inch
Re: Banner
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »
Banner Info

Don't discount that with good gardening and landscaping skills you can hide your ISS behind or in something evergreen. Our ISS is in a side yard so it isn't seen from the back porch.

Thanks for the link dfw_pilot ! I've been really busy , but when I've got some free time I will give it a try.

I will do my best to hide it, but with all the ornamental trees I have , the only place I can put it that it will get accurate rain fall is right by my deck. In some of my pics it looks like there is a lot of room in my yard , but when all the trees and shrubs are leafed out there are not to many spots that are not obstructed.....

Mapleman1

• Gentle Breeze
    • KMAORLEA10
Re: Thanks for the installation photos (Re: Greeting from Cape Cod, Ma )
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 11:35:09 PM »
Dear Tobin and WeatherCat weather instrument placement consultants,

I'm catching up on this thread as well.

Ironically enough, when we were on the roof, the win was 0 mph which is very unusual here. Calm before the storm I guess. Here's some pic's of install day...

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of your installation.  It is an interesting way to set your station up.  If you feel up to it, you might cut and paste your discussion and include it on this thread:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1842.0

It always helps a newcomer to have some idea how others set up their weather instruments.

Thanks again!  [tup]

Edouard, do you mean move this whole thread over or are you saying just cut and paste some of the photos I've posted? I did take a look at that thread..... Some really cool pic's, I would like to add to it for sure .

Thanks again , Tobin

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 01:47:50 AM »
Thanks for the link dfw_pilot !... when I've got some free time I will give it a try.
Just one tip. Read the tiny print on the Banner Generator window (probably in the Manual, also). There is some great info there that I didn't read soon enough to keep me from wasting at least an hour moving things around!

OK, one more tip: You may have noticed that some folks have lines to help separate items and maybe even help get them all aligned. If you have an image editor that lets you work in layers, design one layer with just some some horizontal and maybe vertical lines (basically a grid). You can turn off/hide the other layers and save the to place into the Banner Generator while you move around the weather data. When thhings are where you want them, go back to the image editor, turn off the 'grid/line' layer and save again (if you hadn't already) and then drag that final image into the Banner Generator. It will automatically hide the grid/line image and your data will be neat and orderly!

Don't delete that 'grid/line' layer, just hide it. You may need to use it again on the next image you want to use! [tup]

Stu did a great job on designing/coding this Generator! A lot of work for a rather little used item in the huge WC project! [cheer]

with all the ornamental trees I have , the only place I can put it that it will get accurate rain fall is right by my deck.
Perhaps you can give us a max-zoomed Google map view of your yard? Then we can give you at least a dozen opinions on where to put the ISS! [woohoo]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Write up to help others emulate (Re: Thanks for the installation photos)
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 11:48:55 PM »
Dear Tobin and WeatherCat station caregivers, . . . .

Edouard, do you mean move this whole thread over or are you saying just cut and paste some of the photos I've posted? I did take a look at that thread..... Some really cool pic's, I would like to add to it for sure .

I was thinking mostly this particular post:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2012.msg18365#msg18365

and possibility some details from this post:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2012.msg18361#msg18361

and any extra details you might think would help someone who was thinking about setting up a station like you've done.  The intent is to help one another get more satisfaction from our stations by improving the quality of our data and making the station easier to maintain.

By the way no rush on doing this.  I made a major reconfiguration to my station in February last year and still haven't managed to write it up.  It doesn't help me that I'm hunting down a classic car fuel injection problem and a mysterious bug in my illustration software . . . .  [banghead]