Author Topic: Question about how you backup your Mac running WeatherCat  (Read 14527 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Question about how you backup your Mac running WeatherCat
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:59:49 AM »
Dear WeatherCat users,

It occurred to me that I've just assumed that most WeatherCat users were running Time Machine since it is relatively simple to use.  Well, that is an assumption and perhaps isn't so obvious for people with Macs dedicated to running WeatherCat.  I'm curious to know how many WeatherCat users have some sort of backup for the Mac that WeatherCat runs on and if so what sort of backup.

Please add any additional comments in this thread . . . .

Curious minds want to know! . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
Re: Question about how how you backup your Mac running WeatherCat
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:12:58 AM »
No choices for me.

I have a Mac Mini 2011 running OS X El Capitan server which handles my WeatherCat, iTunes, Apple TV and Xcode. I use an Apple Time Capsule for backup in which I replaced the drive with a mirrored setup and used the original drive in my NewerTech ministack as my home folder. I then have a 6TB RAID 5 system which holds my iTunes and Movie library.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:58:20 AM »
Running the Cat on a dedicated 2008 iMac, modified with a 256GB SSD, newly installed. Actually it is the same HD as was in a 2011 iMac that I was previously using WeatherCat with as a non-dedicated system.

The backup is Time Machine to an external Firewire drive. Unit is also protected from power outages by a TrippLite UPS.
Herb

maxen

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »
WeatherCat is running on a MacMini that I also use for TV and audio, i.e. my TV is my computer screen, a huge surround amplifier takes care of the audio and a comfy sofa is my office chair. [tup]
I use Time Machine to take backup to a Synology NAS, that host all TMs and storage for my, all in total, three Macs.

awilltx

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
I have a dedicated iMac and use Time Machine with Time Capsule, but I also use SuperDuper! to clone my entire drive several times a week to an external SSD. It offers a bit more peace of mind and being able to boot from the clone drive makes it so much quicker and easier should the need arise.

Alan

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 04:27:53 PM »
"Back up the Mac?!" I know how to rotate he screen image, but I didn't know they could back up! :o I did move the dedicated mini back a bit the other day. I just pushed gently on the front of it. [goofy]

Seriously, I got a nice check for Christmas that will cover the cost of a dedicated drive for a TM backup. I may partition it to provide space for a CarbonCopyCloner back up, also. I've used those methods as well as SD and have yet to ever use the clones. TM, OTOH, has saved my rear too many times to count! With WC changing files so rapidly, I don't want to take a chance on losing all the data between the cloning type backups. With TM, I'd only lose an hours worth.

Question for Stu (and "senior" WC users): Is it safe to assume that the ~/Library/WeatherCatData/Location/2014(as an example) could be deleted without problems? I'm a long way from having two year old data, but I'm wondering if most folks use data that old in their PWS's.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:51:33 PM »
I use a retired iMac (Early 2009) running 24/7 for WeatherCat and for my well-monitoring software. The iMac uses an external hard drive for Time Machine backup. The iMac is also my WeatherCat server for iOS and tvOS clients. It's connected to a Tripp Lite G1000U UPS which will keep it running during brief outages.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Dedicated Mac mini, backup on external HD with TimeMachine. In addition to that all 10 to 14 days a (handmade, not automated) SuperDuper backup on an external HD, too.

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
Saving my pounds sterling for a dedicated Mac mini, but in the meantime, running WC on my main iMac, backing up with Time Machine onto a Time Capsule.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:18:22 PM »
Mine is running on a 2011 iMac  backed up with time machine to a external 1 trig HD

cheers

[cheers1]

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 10:48:59 PM »
I run WC on an aging Mac Pro (2009). I have an internal 256gb SSD and a 1tb internal HD - both are backed up to an internal 2tb drive by Time machine.
I am probably going to purchase a new computer this fiscal (2016) for my photography business, and at that point the Mac Pro would become used for my weather/telescope (i.e."non-business") stuff and it would also serve as a networked backup.

Bill

http://www.billcurry.ca/weather

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
There isn't a poll option for me.

My iMac is my general use machine.
I have a 3 TB Time Capsule which houses my Time Machine backup
I have a 3 TB external drive that I use for a full bootable daily Carbon Copy Cloner backup
I have a 3 TB external drive that I use for a full bootable weekly Carbon Copy Cloner backup
I have an online Cubby account that I use to backup most of my files except apps, movies, music, and photos
I have an online Microsoft OneDrive account that I use to backup photos
I have an online SmugMug account that I use to backup photos.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I like these numbers! (Re: Backup your Mac running WeatherCat)
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
Dear WeatherCat conservative sys-admins,

Have you noticed that thus far nobody is running a WeatherCat installation without a backup - I like that!   [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Have multiple backups
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 04:27:36 PM »
+1 Edouard. In this day in age, with terabytes so cheap per gig, there is no reason to lose wedding, child birth, birthday photos because of hard drive failure. Losing Wx data is one thing, losing the pictures of your child's 3rd birthday is catastrophic.

I'm with Steve, I don't fit the mold of the poll.

All my data sits on an external ThunderBolt Raid, which also holds my Time Machine volume.

The Raid and iMac are cloned each night via Carbon Copy Cloner to an external drive (a cheap bare drive sitting in a Voyager Dock).

Once a week, I rotate out the Voyager backup drive to an offsite location (my mom's safe a few miles away), and every few months, rotate another one to my mailbox half a world away in Hong Kong (EMP protection. Ha!). I have five backup drives that fit in the Voyager dock, and rotate them through about one drive per week. You never want just one backup drive because a glitch could kill both the source and the clone at once.

Also each night, via Carbon Copy Cloner (I love that program) I SFTP a clone of all data changes to a drive connected to my Mom's iMac, just in case there is a flood/fire/theft at my house before I can rotate out my backup drive.

The best approach is a multi-pronged one:
Time Machine for incremental backups | Clone for quick, full data replacement | Off-site backup when the house burns down
Too much reliance on any one single prong will leave you in a world of hurt. Example: Cloud only backup is fine until you have to restore at 5 MB/s second, or a Time Machine drive that died in the flood next to your iMac.

Do you have a buddy or relative that lives nearby? Use their guest room closet to rotate out a backup drive (encrypted if they aren't that good a friend). Better yet, use CCC to FTP data to a volume connected to a family or friend's computer, and offer the same for them. Cloud backup companies are fine, but these are much cheap options.

Remember:
*Time Machine is great for finding a mistakenly deleted file, but for full hard drive replacement, it's a real pain.
*For full hard drive replacement due to failure/theft/fire nothing beats having a full bootable clone.
*Time Machine and full clones sitting by the computer are not a good backup.
*Always have off-site backups, or the next theft/fire/flood will leave you with a trail of tears.
*Raid is not a backup
*Raid is not a backup
*Raid is not a backup
(Raid is for fault tolerance)

Folks, drives are cheap, your data is priceless.

All the best,

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Question about how you backup your Mac running WeatherCat
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 04:35:11 PM »
Steve and DFW:

Thanks for the detailed information and comments about going beyond Time Machine.
Blick