Author Topic: Atkins Templates Lost Forever?  (Read 9821 times)

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Atkins Templates Lost Forever?
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
I have to give a shout out to Steve and his Avon-Weather website. It was when I saw his website that I was pushed over the edge to buy WeatherCat (he can collect his finder's fee in a bit). The sad bit, though, is that for some reason, the Atkins-Family web presence has fallen into a black hole. I'd love to work on a site similar to many like Steve's, that borrow the templates from Todd-Tigers-Never-Seen-Again-Atkins but nothing but the main page exists in the WeatherCat Templates folder, and all the threads here are years old with no updates or help.

I already run a below average site with my beloved Meteobridge. Even more lame is my 'Atkins Template' page. I'm not really interested in using this SeaMonkey (do) thingy that is mentioned here. I was really hoping to find better template pages from the now infamous "Atkins-Family" that everyone links to on their sites, but doesn't really exist. Is it possible to get more template pages in 2016? Am I out of luck? Do I need to take a programming class on the weekends? Is Todd related to Jimmy Hoffa? Thanks.

Happy New Year - Make it a good one . . .

edit: links
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Last known version . . . (Re: Atkins Templates Lost Forever?)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 10:41:24 PM »
Dear dfw_pilot and WeatherCat web spinners,

The sad bit, though, is that for some reason, the Atkins-Family web presence has fallen into a black hole.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I've attached to this posting a version of the Atkins wxi files.  That is I believe all that was included.

I was really hoping to find better template pages from the now infamous "Atkins-Family" that everyone links to on their sites, but doesn't really exist. Is it possible to get more template pages in 2016? Am I out of luck?

If you want a more snazzy website, the Leuven-Template template or Saratoga AJAX/PHP template are both very detailed and powerful.  They also have a developer supporting them and include installation instructions.  A number of guys who aren't computer nerds have gotten them running, so you might want to consider one of those.  If you aren't sure which one to try, post a question and you should get a number of replies from satisfied users.

Cheers, Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Atkins Templates Lost Forever?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 11:43:52 PM »
Try this: http://www.avon-weather.com/atkinsfamilyorg.zip

I have modified my copy so much, it is barely recognizable as related to the original. This doesn't have the mobile, and it is for the old style statistics, but it *might* be as close as anyone here still has.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:47:22 PM »
Thank you for providing this Steve. Now if you would just give us 24/7/365 developer support that would make my day.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 06:18:03 AM »
Thanks, gents! I appreciate the links, Steve and Edouard. I'll play around with some of these files. I also forgot to mention, Edouard, that I wasn't too keen on downloading and using SeaMonkey as an application, however, I really like your SeaMonkey templates; they look great! I'll play around with the wxi files.

Steve, the zip from your site is the same that comes with WeatherCat. So, to get multiple pages on your site, do you just take the same wx.html (index.html) and rename it/rewrite it to get Live Gauges|History|Soil|About, etc? I'm really interested in getting soil data up and readable, along with E/T in WEEKLY format so that my neighbors can accurately water their lawns based on live, local data. Thanks again, and all the best guys,

dfw

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Toby,

That's exactly what I did. I think the original page came with two tabs for home and statistics. I simply copied one of them, changed the name, title, etc, and created the additional tabs. Then copied/pasted the tab info on the index page and modified it. A whole lot easier would be to create a CSS file with the header (including the navigation tabs) and footer, so that it only needs changed one place rather than on each page. That's on my list to do sometime.

If interested, I can send you a zip file of my various pages for reference. They are a real mess, as I've added and removed stuff over the years.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Seamonkey project healthy, not needed for templates. (Re: Thanks)
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 11:56:13 PM »
Dear Steve, Blick, dfw, and WeatherCat web spinners,

I also forgot to mention, Edouard, that I wasn't too keen on downloading and using SeaMonkey as an application.

Why were you concerned about downloading Seamonkey?  As far as know it is another open-source project like literally hundreds of them with a collection of developers that are seriously trying to keep it working.  I don't use Seamonkey as a browser, but it will run next to whatever browser you like to run without problems.  As noted on their website, they have legal support from the Mozilla foundation:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

So it is about as safe as software gets these days (which isn't much . . . .  :( )

There is another open-source web page editor based on the Firefox rendering engine called Blue Griffon:

http://bluegriffon.org/

It is a significant upgrade.  Enough so that I would need to spend the time to learn how to use it and . . . . *Sigh*, I've never had the time. . .   :(

However, I really like your SeaMonkey templates; they look great!

The templates are straight HTML, so you can edit them with anything.  When I have something complex to do in HTML itself, I'll often use TextWrangler instead.

Best of luck in getting your web pages to your liking!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Text Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 12:04:04 AM »
I too am a Text Wrangler. I'm not concerned about security, just not a fan of wysiwyg editors. I don't know enough to be php/css/html competent (yet) and my past experience with wysiwyg is that you get a mess of code vs clean lines of code from templates. That was all. That WXI template is probably my favorite, and I'll try and build from that via Text Wrangler.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 07:09:43 PM »
I too am a Text Wrangler fan. It's straight forward and I like the use of numbered lines in the editor, because I get lost without them.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
If interested, I can send you a zip file of my various pages for reference. They are a real mess, as I've added and removed stuff over the years.
Steve
Steve, I am interested! I promise not to copy, but I'd love to use your fantastic site as a good reference for an html/css newbie like myself. I'll take whatever you are willing to share, thanks!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Seamonkey better at respecting the HTML (Re: Text Wrangler)
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »
Dear dfw, Blick, and WeatherCat web spinners,

I'm not concerned about security, just not a fan of wysiwyg editors. I don't know enough to be php/css/html competent (yet) and my past experience with wysiwyg is that you get a mess of code vs clean lines of code from templates. That was all.

Perhaps neither here nor there, but SeaMonkey has gotten a lot better at leaving HTML as you formatted it so long as you don't use the WYSIWYG to change something.  So when I use SeaMonkey to change a bit of text, that loses its formatting, but the rest of the template remains as I formatted originally.

That allows you have something of having your cake and eating it too.  You can use SeaMonkey to make quick changes to text (for example when I update the monthly rainfall information on my website.)  Should you need to actually get your hands dirty with the HTML, only a small area will need to be cleaned up.

Cheers, Edouard