Author Topic: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2015-16  (Read 42631 times)

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2015-16
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2016, 08:23:40 PM »
Here my contribution for the day

cheers

[cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2016, 09:10:03 PM »
Where did you get that much shaving cream and how many folks helped you get so much land covered?! "You can fool some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time... but you can't fool me!" I can see a pile of empty spray cans just behind that house down in the draw on the right-hand side. :P Nice try, though...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Randall! (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2016, 11:40:18 PM »
Hi Randall, X-Air, and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . .

Here my contribution for the day.

Thanks for the very nice photo!  [tup]  It really does capture the feel of quiet day in winter.  There is something about how those high thin clouds add to the atmosphere.  So did you have to get outside to take this or is this a webcam you've got already running?

Where did you get that much shaving cream and how many folks helped you get so much land covered?!

;) . . . . I dunno' X-Air, but I'd bet that you tried using some of that particular brand of shaving cream, your face would freeze before you finished putting it on! . . . .  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »
OK, I bought a few cans of that shaving cream:

We have laws around here that don't allow ice/snow/sleet on streets and/or driveways. It is well enforced! [tup]

Unfortunately, we don't yet have similar laws covering (no pun intended, of course) Anemometers. Winds could gust fairly high but I doubt i'll see any station "records". [banghead]
I'm thinking of mounting some windshield de-icer on a 35' pole...

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Great opportunity for snowy instruments! (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2016, 10:58:31 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat "extra chilled" shaving cream fans, . . .

OK, I bought a few cans of that shaving cream:

[wink] . . . . Never mind the yard decor!  Answer the important question!  Does this stuff give you a closer shave! . . .  [lol2]

Seriously thanks for the ISS photo in da' white!  I'm sure you don't get to take photos like this very often!

We have laws around here that don't allow ice/snow/sleet on streets and/or driveways. It is well enforced! [tup]

[wink] . . . . Oh yeah!  I couldn't count on that.  One should never give Mother Nature a dare and besides, haven't you heard about global warming?  If it gets any warmer - I might freeze to death! . . .  [freeze]

So it appears the monster snow-job isn't just hype in the press.  Since you guys in the east are supposed to really be askin' for it!  Anyone else have a photo of your weather instruments marooned in any usually heavy coat of da' white stuff?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2016, 04:09:35 AM »
I'm getting wind readings since a couple of hours ago. The ice icicles must have sublimated! Although the temps were well above freezing, even when I took that first image, it's now 29?F and the winds are gusting (I can hear it!). Didn't have to use my 35' pole with windshield de-icer after all. [cheer]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A more fair weather scene. (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:10 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Awe shucks! Are you guys still too busy digging all that snow out to take that photo of your weather instruments in the middle of a whiteout?  Well, I'll get your photographic juices warmed up from the cold with this photo taken this morning:

We are supposed to have a week of dry and mostly sunny weather and the sunrise this morning harkened more to spring than more winter.  So if you need some inspiration that winter will finally end eventually perhaps that will at least help a little!

P.S. If any of you west coast drought worriers are concerned about even a week of dry weather - worry not.  The rains are supposed to return just in time . . . . for the weekend!

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Type I
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2016, 04:23:53 AM »
Didn't have to use my 35' pole with windshield de-icer after all.

Windshield de-icer? I would have thought Type I would have worked better (albeit, just a bit more expensive).

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2016, 05:19:39 AM »
Type 1 would have been great but the neighbors would probably called the EPA and complained! OTOH, if I'd cleaned all their windshields... I wonder if my little power washer would reach that anemometer...

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
My station
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »
I don't have too many photos of my station and the WX around it. This is something I'll have to explore more. For now, this is my contribution:

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
I do believe you are 'involved' with another transportation system. :) Is that a branch or main line back there? It looks to be well maintained. BNSF? DART? KCS? UP? Other?

Enquiring 'train nuts' want to know!

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
My image for thinking about the space program on the 30th anniversary of Challenger...

Bill

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Trains
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »
Fantastic, Bill!

Good catch xairbus ;~)

It's a branch (I think - GoogleMaps? might tell with more authority) with mostly CSX and BNSF. They have equipment working on it or passing by quite a bit. We don't hear them much indoors, but outdoors, we are close enough for them to be a bit noisy. I blame the fact that this section of track is Jointed Rail, which is noisy, verses Continuous weld rail (CWR) which is whisper quiet. This is all residential, where CWR would be great, but back when this track was laid, this was all pasture land. I was out for a stroll in Anchorage, Alaska, next to a train track, and I hardly new the train was coming it was so quiet. As it passed me (30 feet away) all I could hear was the whirring of the diesel and the sound of the wheels rolling along. Amazing! Thats CWR . . . Read more about the differences between Jointed and CWR here.

I'm not sure when your tollway bill was, but now, on the Sam Rayburn, if you are an out-of-state plate, or even a yankee, they don't bill you. I guess they are getting enough from people like me to not bother with ya'll. Sorry about that - don't let it make you a stranger. Come on back now, ya hear?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2016, 10:46:45 PM »
Most railroads are very careful about spending money! They simply don't unless there is some kind of payoff in a reasonable time frame. That line may be a secondary connection that comes in handy when the traffic around Big D gets hectic, which if probably quite often. Whoever owns the track (it's hard to tell with the way the roads enter change motive power!) they have probably decided the traffic is not going to benefit from increased speeds and even maintenance. And they will also argue, to those who complain about the noise, "We were here first." [banghead]

Google maps seems to have dropped labeling rail lines with owners names, at least around Dallas. I don't know when that happened or if it's part of some security "plan". :o I have sometimes resorted to Sectionals when looking for that info. [tup] Next time you get to DFW, visit the FBO... [lol]

Going further Off-Track, the February issue of Trains has a couple of good articles on welded rail. Also one on the Rocky Mountaineer. My wife gave us an 8-day trip for our 50th wedding celebration, <Rocky Mountain Escapade>. GoldLeaf level! Good shots of the car we road (car length dome above outstanding dinning room) on p. 57! Highly recommend the Mountaineer part, the VIA part, not so much. You might want to wait a few dozen years, anyway. Not sure the kids would enjoy it yet! [lol]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Pictorial weather forecast (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2016, 10:48:21 PM »
Dear Toby, X-Air, Bill, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Thanks for your contributions you two!  Toby you do live in the cloud don't you!  :D  I can't wait to see what you might take when you actually have this project in mind!  :)

Thanks Bill for reminding us of the Challenger disaster.  Although sadly, 30 years later, the Moon seems as much out of reach as it was once Apollo 17 came home.

In the meantime I have a pictorial weather forecast to share.  This is what the skies looked like behind my anemometer shortly before dawn this morning:

The situation was the same behind the rain gauge:

We are waiting for the latest gift from El Ni?o as I type!

Okay, who's next with their camera!