Author Topic: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2015-16  (Read 42631 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2015-16
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . .

In California, the sky conditions during the summer rarely provide interesting photos.  The other 3 seasons definitely provide more opportunities.  For some years how, I've been using my anemometer as the "model" in a series of sunrise photos when the clouds are compelling enough.  Those sorts of pictures seem to be coming early this time of year.  I managed to snap this photo this morning:

Since everybody on this board likes weather and lot of us enjoy photography, I thought I would invite everyone to combine the two and attempt to take some dramatic photos of the sky with your weather instruments included in the scene.  These photos can be very appealing and can even be practical.  I used photos like this to make my WeatherCat avatar and as the background of my weather banner.  There is a tutorial on the WeatherCat Wiki on how to do this:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Photo_to_active_banner_tutorial

Once you've have taken a photographic masterpiece, by all means share it with us on this thread.

So all you WeatherCat shutterbugs out there . . . . ready, aim, snap!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments 2015-16
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »
I could not get my weather station in this shot so I hope you will forgive me for flaunting the guidelines on this post. But this thing last night was spectacular. The photo is not.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Great shot! (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:43:24 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat amateur astronomers, . . 

I could not get my weather station in this shot so I hope you will forgive me for flaunting the guidelines on this post. But this thing last night was spectacular. The photo is not.

No objections at all and thanks for sharing!  It is a very nice photo and lunar eclipses aren't particularly easy to photograph.  I have no idea how to do it with a digital camera since all my experience is with film cameras.

I should have made some effort to look at this eclipse but neither of my two telescopes is really operational.  It is another one of those things that need to put back together once my trusty wagon is back in service.  Before she got the nickname of "dive-mobile," she had the nickname of "astro-mobile."

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
Very nice shot - what time as that taken at? (Sadly I was getting some zzz's, but it's nice to see a good photo).

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »
Very nice shot - what time as that taken at? (Sadly I was getting some zzz's, but it's nice to see a good photo).

ZZZs are good. Take 'em whilst you can. This eclipse was easy to observe in Utah. The sky was fairly clear. The eclipse started about 19:00 and we watched it until around 22:00. This photo was taken during the first hour.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 11:56:09 PM »
OK. Here is a legitimate shot (i.e., in accordance with the thread guidelines) which includes my ISS mounted atop the swing set. I am standing just outside our cabin, on the driveway, looking east across Lake Creek Canyon, enjoying the autumn colours here in the mountains of Northern Utah.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Who's next? (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:26:32 PM »
Dear Stu, Blick, and WeatherCat shutterbugs . . .

OK. Here is a legitimate shot (i.e., in accordance with the thread guidelines) which includes my ISS mounted atop the swing set. I am standing just outside our cabin, on the driveway, looking east across Lake Creek Canyon, enjoying the autumn colours here in the mountains of Northern Utah.

Thanks for the photo.  You are getting more of an autumn show than it sounded like you would end up with.  It is still early here, but the trees are really suffering and some are simply losing their leaves without any color change.

Okay, who has another photo to contribute?  Just to wet your appetite here is another photo of my anemometer:

Sorry if it seems like I'm hogging this thread, but this was a very unusual situation where clouds were lit by the setting sun.  Normally sunsets are rather boring around here because we are behind an eastern facing hill and all the beautiful stuff happens behind that hill.

Okay, who's next?  :D

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 07:05:13 AM »
That's a great shot of that rare moon, Blick! Thanks for posting it.
Herb

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 01:29:14 AM »
Am enjoying the photos! Have had days of overcast and rainy weather here in Georgia. Missed the lunar eclipse because of it. Such a string of bad weather is rare for this part of the country. Sunny days are the norm around here.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »
Here is one more from our place. In case you do not have 20/20 vision (or better, like Herb) I have circled the ISS and the anemometer.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks! (Re: Moods of the sky around our weather instruments)
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:32:04 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . .

Thanks for another contribution!  [tup]

Here is one more from our place. In case you do not have 20/20 vision (or better, like Herb) I have circled the ISS and the anemometer.

[wink] . . . . . Golly, how did you get the sky to make red circles like that? . . .  [biggrin]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A calm sky . . (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . . .

Sometimes the sky is calm around our weather instruments and the image has only subtle colors:

I took this photo this morning and there is just a hint of color from the marine layer that was very thin.

So come-on guys, get out your cameras!  ;D

Cheers, Edouard

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 12:10:00 AM »
Here is a smoke filled horizon to go with the heat  [sweat2]  I think the anemometer is chocking on the smoke.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
The West suffering in the heat . . . (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
Dear Jeff and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Here is a smoke filled horizon to go with the heat  [sweat2]  I think the anemometer is chocking on the smoke.

Thanks for the great shot!  [tup]

Looks like it is definitely too hot and too dry for your comfort as well.  We are expecting another 2 day heatwave starting tomorrow with temperatures heading into the mid-90s.   [sweat2]  The trees are losing their leaves without much in the way of autumn color.  The final days before the rains come are always the worst for California and I suppose for most of the western United States.

Keep them photos comin'! . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A little more morning color (Re: Moods of the sky .. 2015-16)
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »
Dear WeatherCat fans of colorful cloud formations,

We have a cut-off low spinning to our south in the Pacific and it is spinning some cloudiness toward us.  As a result, the sunrise with a bit colorful this morning:

Here is a second shot taken after the sun had risen but was still being obscured by the cloud-cover and the trees:

Okay, so who is going to contribute next? . . .

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Both shots were underexposed 1 EV.