Author Topic: Time Capsule goes to Apple Heaven  (Read 2763 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Time Capsule goes to Apple Heaven
« on: April 27, 2019, 03:05:16 AM »
I knew this day was going to come, but I sure didn't need it to come this week.

My Apple Time Capsule failed to perform its router duties and no amount of coaxing could resurrect the dang thing. I did bypass the router to prove that the problem was the router and not something wonky coming from the ISP. I was fortunate enough to have an old Airport Extreme that I was using in Bridge Mode to extend the wireless network. I reset it to function as a router and that's when I was reminded of why I stopped using it as a router in the first place. It also is given to fits of not working from time to time.

Anyway, I won't bore you with how many times I tried to bring my network back up, but I will say that at the same time this was going on, my Davis Console got unplugged and I discovered that its backup batteries were dead. I thought there was supposed to be some kind of warning about that sort of thing. And then it started to rain, and I was panicky to get the Logger back in action. Anyway, to make a long, frustrating story much shorter, I eventually cobbled together a semi-functioning router, but when I brought my Davis console back up, it had, of course, lost all of its data and I had to go through setup again. And eventually WeatherCat did its thing and uploaded whatever was stored in the logger so in the end, the only thing that was out of whack (besides me) was the Daily, MTD, and YTD rain on the Davis Console (which impacted both my CTWs in WC and my various reports). When I entered that data into the console, it fixed the CTWs but was now double counting rain in the statistical reports because the rain that had already recorded before things went south was still in WC. So my new plan is to wait until tomorrow when I have a clearer head, and I can use WeatherCat's Rain Editor to fix today (because you can't fix today in the Editor until tomorrow) and hopefully everything will be back to normal, which will be a very welcome change.

After that I need to figure out how to replace my Apple Home Network with some modern gear that will perform better than my old collection of Airport Extreme and Express paperweights. Then I need to find a Time Machine solution. So if you don't hear from me for a while, it will be due to high blood pressure caused by technology biting me on my behind.

Steve, if you read this, I PM'd you and sent you an email. Would love it if you could find the time to reply. Thanks!
Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: Time Capsule goes to Apple Heaven
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 05:23:55 PM »
Yeah, I have been paranoid with saving data from my iMac .    I have two external G-Force Drives via Thunderbolt.  So my data is saved to one of them.  Then if that isn't enough, I found a cloud based service that will actually load both drives in addition to the iMac drive.   I do have with one of the G-Force Drives  the time capsule backup going to the 6Gb Drive.  I should have opted for larger, arghhhhh.

I use Backblaze now .     I recommend doing the external thing, but having a cloud based snagging the data folder as well.     
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 06:16:33 PM »
John, I have a long reply to your email in the works. I'll get back to it post haste. I don't have a PM from you.

And, I use Backblaze, too. Plus SugarSync.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sorry for the trauma. (Re: Time Capsule goes to Apple Heaven)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 11:01:09 PM »
Dear Blick, Weatheraardvark, Steve, and WeatherCat system admins,

I knew this day was going to come, but I sure didn't need it to come this week.

My Apple Time Capsule failed to perform its router duties and no amount of coaxing could resurrect the dang thing.
. . . . . .

Sorry to hear that you had this particular bit of hardware let you down at a most inopportune moment.

After that I need to figure out how to replace my Apple Home Network with some modern gear that will perform better than my old collection of Airport Extreme and Express paperweights.

I hope you get some good advice on this one.  My solution is to use a Mac Mini and run IP masquerade software.  That's even more antiquated.

Then I need to find a Time Machine solution.

I'm really old-school when it comes to Time Machine, but perhaps it is the least stressful.  I have a simple dedicated hard drive on each Mac.  My thinking is that I'm spreading the risk and only one computer at any given time would be vulnerable to data loss since the likelihood of simultaneous hard drive failures is extremely small.  That doesn't replace cloud backups, but it keeps things simple at the local level.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:43:53 AM »
Thanks guys. Appreciated finding out what you are doing, backup-wise. I'm learning a lot, reading a lot, and still doing my homework.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Sorry for the trauma. (Re: Time Capsule goes to Apple Heaven)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 09:37:13 AM »
I'm really old-school when it comes to Time Machine, but perhaps it is the least stressful.  I have a simple dedicated hard drive on each Mac.

That is exactly how I am doing backups with my Macs.  :D
Reinhard

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 01:38:23 PM »
Thanks guys. Appreciated finding out what you are doing, backup-wise. I'm learning a lot, reading a lot, and still doing my homework.

Blicj11 and all:

I use a combo of external drives and ChronoSync which syncs various folders/files to one drive and then mirrors to another. I have had the bad luck of only one external drive backup AND cloud backups BOTH fail on my thesis research. $1500 later--the data was extracted from the failed backup. I learned then one can never have enough backups. Sad, but true.

Jenna

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
OUCH!!!! (Re: Time Capsule goes to Apple Heaven)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat scholars,

I use a combo of external drives and ChronoSync which syncs various folders/files to one drive and then mirrors to another. I have had the bad luck of only one external drive backup AND cloud backups BOTH fail on my thesis research. $1500 later--the data was extracted from the failed backup. I learned then one can never have enough backups. Sad, but true.

OUCH!!!   I'm glad you managed to get your thesis data back, but that was most definitely da' hard way!!  [banghead]  I had a ton of trouble finishing up my Master's and Ph.D. texts, but at least I never had trouble with my computers.

I beg to differ slightly on your advice: "you need reliable backups - not many of them."  You are far better off to stick to services that have worked for you in the past than to try a shotgun approach to backups.  The more backups you have - the less time you have to take care of any given one - that's a recipe for trouble.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: OUCH!!!! (Re: Time Capsule goes to Apple Heaven)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 10:35:04 AM »
Sage advice!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
The more backups you have - the less time you have to take care of any given one - that's a recipe for trouble.
That's why I use TM and CCC, both are automatic. Of course, swapping the two drive sets is still a manual task but Calendar can remind me to do that on just about any interval I want... now, if my cat just had opposable thumbs! [rolleyes2] [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system