Author Topic: Hello from Shropshire in the UK  (Read 3581 times)

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
  • Station Details: Davie Vantage Vue
Hello from Shropshire in the UK
« on: May 16, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »
Located just to the north of Shrewsbury in Shropshire UK.  Have been running a Watson W-8681 for a number of years with WeatherSnoop software and was quite content with my setup.

However, the W-8681 developed a 'constant alarm' fault and it was replaced by a 'Gadget' wireless weather forecaster that was on special offer at Maplin.  The Gadget looks and functions in an identical manner to the W-8681, so I guess that both of these are generic 'clones' with similar internals.

Replacing the weather station triggered me to see what other software there was that would work on the iMac.  WeatherCat was fairly high up the Google search list, so I gave it a try. Installation was easy - although initially I failed to drag the whole WeatherCat folder to Applications and couldn't understand why I couldn't see the 'Banner Generator' option in tools - and the weather station communicated with WeatherCat without and problems.

I'm still in my 14 day trial period, but I will be purchasing a licence when that expires.  I prefer the display options and the fidelity of WeatherCat over those of WeatherSnoop, although I wish there was a way of importing my years of WeatherSnoop data into WeatherCat.

I'm using the iOS WeatherCat software for remote monitoring with iPhone and iPad, but it would be nice if there was a dedicated iPad version.

I'm feeding data to Weather Underground as ISHROPSH19

Regards
Gary
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Hello from Shropshire in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »
Hi Gary, and welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

You will find friendly, helpful people here, as well as an active and accommodating developer. Once you get settled into your WeatherCat setup, take a look at some of the templates available in the Templates forum, as well as Edouard's (elegache) AppleScript tools. With the scripts, you will be able to upload data to the UK Met Office's WOW program as well as several other weather collectors, and keep track of how your station is operating.

Welcome to the group,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Hello from Shropshire in the UK)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
Dear Gary and WeatherCat forum welcoming committee,

First things first . . . . . . Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

Located just to the north of Shrewsbury in Shropshire UK.  Have been running a Watson W-8681 for a number of years with WeatherSnoop software and was quite content with my setup.

;)  For shame!  Using software from across the pond when you had a domestic alternative!  [lol2]

Replacing the weather station triggered me to see what other software there was that would work on the iMac.  WeatherCat was fairly high up the Google search list, so I gave it a try. Installation was easy - although initially I failed to drag the whole WeatherCat folder to Applications and couldn't understand why I couldn't see the 'Banner Generator' option in tools - and the weather station communicated with WeatherCat without and problems.

I'm still in my 14 day trial period, but I will be purchasing a licence when that expires.  I prefer the display options and the fidelity of WeatherCat over those of WeatherSnoop, although I wish there was a way of importing my years of WeatherSnoop data into WeatherCat.

Seriously, thank you for providing to us WeatherCat faithful an independent assessment of WeatherCat versus its rival.  [tup]  I started with WeatherCat's predecessor (LWC) when I first bought my Davis Vantage Pro-2 and never looked back.  So I do appreciate the opinions of someone like you! 

Welcome again and do hope you'll continue to be happy with WeatherCat!  [computer]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
  • Station Details: Davie Vantage Vue
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »
Thank you very much for the warm welcome!

Playing around with the UK Met Office WOW site now and data is being uploaded to Shotatton (50779022)

Regards

Gary
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Nick

• Gentle Breeze
  • Calm and steady
    • ICAMBRID52
    • Davis Weather Station (Weatherlink details)
  • Station Details: Davis VantageVue with WeatherLinkIP
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
Hi Gary,

Welcome aboard,

Nick
Cambs [cheers1]

jf-i2r

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: vantage pro2 wireless with solar sensor ; weatherlink-ip ;mac mini 1,6ghz 2go ram El Capitan
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »
Hi Gary

welcome to this great forum
you will find all the help you need
the members of this forum are really great

cheers   [cheers1]
jean frederic