Author Topic: Steel Gauges  (Read 222169 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Steel Gauges
« Reply #570 on: January 22, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
Hahaha. I have no idea what happened. I couldn't find anything wrong so I posted my request for help. But I see now that is working. I didn't change anything so I'm guessing it was some kind of cache issue. Not sure. But thank you for looking!
Blick

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #571 on: November 07, 2020, 09:03:07 PM »
Hi all,

I have a weird problem with the Steel Gauges. Everything worked fine for years, but all off a sudden the air pressure gauge (and the pressure gauge alone!) gave up on me. Rather than showing the correct value from the realtimeWC.txt file, it is stuck at the minimum 950hPa value and showing a red dial (storm!  ::)).

I (re)installed the latest version of the scripts, but results are the same.

WC is uploading the data, and all other dials are showing the correct values.

Gauges are here: https://www.weerenmeer.nl/steel/gauges-ss-basic.htm
Datafile is here: https://www.weerenmeer.nl/realtimegaugesWC.txt

I'm not sure when exactly it went rogue, but I don't see how the latest WC update to 3.1 could have anything to do with it.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Jos

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #572 on: November 07, 2020, 09:19:55 PM »
Your data file looks good to me. I'm running WC 3.1.1 Build 26, but nothing changed for SteelSeries there. I see you are running 3.7.5 of the gauges whilst I'm running 3.7.3. I assume when you upgraded your SS version you did not introduce any rogue typo for that gauge. Looks like we'll have to wait for Mark Crossley to chime in here. Sorry.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #573 on: November 08, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
WeatherCat 3.1.0 and later honour the system grouping character specifier as set in the System Preferences->Language & Region->Advanced settings - the tags will pick this up. You'll need to add the DOTSEPARATORS$ tag to your source file (which will turn off all localised formatting for tags for the duration of the file) or turn off the system group separator character in the System Preferences->Language & Region preferences.

From the 3.1.0 release notes:
'The DOTSEPARATORS$ custom web tag now also switches off any grouping separators that may be enabled in the Advanced pane of the Language & Region System preferences. If you have a custom web template file that is designed for machine processing, you should add this tag at the top of the file to turn off localisation of decimal separators and any group separators for that file. The decimal separator will always be '.' with this tag present in the file.'

Cheers,
Stu.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
« Reply #574 on: November 08, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »
Fixed!

Thanks a lot Stu.  ThU32:-)

Note to self: "read release notes"

Jos

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #575 on: November 08, 2020, 03:47:03 PM »
HA! Next thing ya kno, he'll be telling us to "READ THE MANUAL!!!" [rolleyes2] lol(1) [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

SteveJoy

• Calm
  • Station Details: aercus 3083 with steel series web page
« Reply #576 on: December 18, 2020, 10:41:39 PM »
I had / have the same problem - I can workaround it by changing the System Preferences, but ideally I would like to fix it using the DOTSEPARATORS$ tag.
I just know I am being dense - its probably very obvious - but in which file do I need to do this - and what should the values be ?

I looked at various files - most obvious being the realtimegaugesWC.txt template file - but I don't see anything similar that I can work out what to enter.

What do I need to type - and in which file please ?

Searched documentation but can't find it (in all the places I looked...)

Really would appreciate your help !

Thanks
Steve

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #577 on: December 18, 2020, 11:21:05 PM »
What do I need to type - and in which file please ?
System Preferences->Language & Region->Advanced settings" You kay have hidden that pref but you can see it in the Menu Bar for System Prefs. You can also get there through the Date & Time prefs.
  • Look for the "Open Language & Region..." button (image 1).
  • Now, click the "Advanced" button in the General tab (image 2).
  • Lastly, adjust the Number Separators as desired (image 3).
Hope this helps. :)

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
« Reply #578 on: December 19, 2020, 09:43:31 AM »
Thanks xairbus, but I think the question was; how to fix it using the DOTSEPARATORS$ tag?

Like Steve I wasn't able to get that working so ended up in changing the System Preferences.

Jos

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #579 on: December 19, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
Question to the masses: Should I update the SS Gauges template file for WeatherCat to include the DOTSEPARATORS$ tag? It means it will then only work for ver 3.1 onwards, but new uesers will only be using that release anyway?

So the start of the file would become...

Code: [Select]
DOTSEPARATORS${"date":"de$",
"timeUTC":"DUTC$",
"SensorContactLost":"COMMSFAILFLAG$",

@WDev/Stu - is the tag "DOTSEPARATORS$" just removed? Does it need to be on a separate line?
Mark

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #580 on: December 19, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
Sorry, Jos. I don't use SS Gauges. Nor did I know about "Languages & Regions..." since I keep it hidden in my System Prefs. But I did learn a few things about it and got to exercise a new screen capture tool, SnagIt.

SteveJoy

• Calm
  • Station Details: aercus 3083 with steel series web page
« Reply #581 on: December 21, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »
Thanks for your help guys... as Jos said I was trying to leave the OS settings alone and handle the issue with the DOTSEPARATORS$ tag.

The snippet of code that Mark put up : "DOTSEPARATORS${"date":"de$"," was enough of a clue ! 

I made my first line of the realtimegaugesWC.txt template file to match that code, and all seems good.
I reset the OS to use the , separator but the text file now seems to be processed correctly, without the embedded commas in the pressure values - so pressure now displays correctly on my webpage

https://www.steve-joy.com/weather.html

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #582 on: December 22, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Glad you figured it out. I have added your gauges to the sample section on the SteelSeries Wiki article.

https://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Steel_Series_Gauges#Examples_of_SteelSeries_Gauges_in_action
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #583 on: December 22, 2020, 10:21:27 PM »
Question to the masses: Should I update the SS Gauges template file for WeatherCat to include the DOTSEPARATORS$ tag? It means it will then only work for ver 3.1 onwards, but new uesers will only be using that release anyway?

@WDev/Stu - is the tag "DOTSEPARATORS$" just removed? Does it need to be on a separate line?

Mark, I don't know enough about how that works to answer your question. We'll probably need to wait for Stu unless Reinhard has this thing figured out.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #584 on: December 23, 2020, 11:55:11 AM »

Yep, just add it as the first line in the file. DOTSEPARATORS$ is understood by earlier versions, so it should be fine.

Cheers,
Stu.