Author Topic: iOS Client-Server Connection  (Read 26680 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Okay, I've now "seen" it. (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2014, 12:11:15 AM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat iOS fans,

I've been monitoring my iPhone for 5 days now and finally I have seen something that I suppose is the phenomena.  My iPhone showed the correct time, but iOS client remained stuck with the display of the previous weather conditions it had displayed and showed a busy display next to the Wi-Fi strength meter.  Silly me, I didn't make an explicit test of my iPhone's Wi-Fi connection, but the strength bar looked fine.

I tried quitting the WeatherCat iPhone client and to my surprise when I restarted it once more got locked up in a loop claiming "looking for local."

However, resetting my iPhone solved the problem.  After my iPhone came back, when I started up the WeatherCat iPhone client it immediately updated to the current weather.  I know, I should have tried rebooting first - oh well!  :-[

So, I don't know what it means, but I suppose that is another confirmation of some sort of phenomena.  I'll try to keep monitoring and see it it happens again.  If so, I'll try to see if it could be an iOS issue that is affecting other connections.

That's all I've got to report!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat iOS fans,

Okay, lucky me, the very same phenomena happened again this morning as it did yesterday.  I tried to bring up the WeatherCat iPhone client and it went into an "indefinite" looking for data state.

This time I decided to make sure that I had a working Wi-Fi connection.  As before, my iPhone indicated that it had Wi-Fi, but when I tried to get Safari to bring up a web page - it drew a blank.  So the Wi-Fi connection wasn't working which would explain the problem completely.

I went to settings and turned off Wi-Fi and then turned them back on.  When I returned to WeatherCat iPhone client - it immediately connected with WeatherCat and updated the conditions.  So at least for me, this situation can be explained as an iOS connection issue - at least for these two cases.

So, . . . . . has anybody who has seen "cannot see local" been able to use their Wi-Fi connection to their iPhone while the "cannot see local" problem was happening?

Curious minds want to know!

P.S. I'll keep monitoring this.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local"
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
Edouard:

Which iPhone model and what version of iOS are you running?
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Local vs Internet network connection
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
I just downloaded the app on my iPhone and note when I have "Internet" selected as my network connection, I get 0.0 for the UV Index reading; however, when I select "Local" for my connection it reads properly (3.0 as I write this).

Thoughts?

All other sensor readings display correctly whether Local or Internet is selected.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
iPhone 4 and iOS 7.1.1 (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »
Howdy Blick and WeatherCat iOS users,

It's an old iPhone 4, but it is running the latest version of iOS 7.1.1.  I keep putting off upgrading cuz I'm curious to know what Apple will release next!

I had basically the same thing happen on my iPad this morning.  It could be something to do with my Wi-Fi access point.  However, stopping and starting Wi-Fi on the iPad solved the problem there as well.  It is an iPad 4 also running iOS 7.1.1

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Felix and WeatherCat iOS fans,

I just downloaded the app on my iPhone and note when I have "Internet" selected as my network connection, I get 0.0 for the UV Index reading; however, when I select "Local" for my connection it reads properly (3.0 as I write this).

Thoughts?

All other sensor readings display correctly whether Local or Internet is selected.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by selecting "Internet."  Normally you need to set up your network provide a link between WeatherCat and the iOS client.  That means you need to make sure that ports 49250 to 49254 are open and you need to provide some way for the iOS client to locate your computer.  If you are using your local area network, you might be able to use the IP address of your computer running WeatherCat.  Normally though this is a dynamic IP address which will change.  There is two articles on the WeatherCat wiki explaining how to use the iOS client over the Internet.  You'll find the articles here:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/WeatherCat_Clients

Is that the sort of setup you already have - or not?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
I am using an iPhone 5s running iOS 7.1.1 and no longer experience the same problem you describe. I did have that problem but have since replaced my wireless router and haven't noticed it since then. That is not the reason I replaced the router, I'm just sayin' ....
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by selecting "Internet."

He is referring to selecting Local or Internet in the settings on the iOS WeatherCat app on his iPhone.

Felix, I cannot duplicate your error. I get the same U.V. Index reading either way. But, I do agree with Edouard that you need to set up the port forwarding for the OS X client correctly so it can communicate back to the server. I assume the iOS client also needs port forwarding, but I'm not sure.

It is weird that the other readings are all working on either setting. The Grand Poobah, the author of the iOS app is out for a family holiday but he'll chime in upon his return.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Local vs Internet network connection
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »
I didn't port forward, just selected Internet (vice Local) as Blicj11 said.

BTW, under the Settings menu --> Network, it says URL "trixology-test.dyndns.org." What's that about?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »
BTW, under the Settings menu --> Network, it says URL "trixology-test.dyndns.org." What's that about?

Ah hah! That is why your readings are different between local and network. You are using the default setting for network, which gives you Stu's weather testing site. Your current network setting will not work so the only time the iOS app is accurate is when you are home and the setting is set to local.

You should change that network setting to either your own external IP address or your dyndns server name if you are using that service. In order for you to get your network setting to function properly, you will need to set up port forwarding on your router, as per Edouard's previous post.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
I'm back from my mother-in-law's 102 birthday and "chiming in". Thanks to Blick and Edouard for their excellent replies to Felix's questions.

What Felix reported is the expected behavior. His "local" connection is his weather station. WeatherCat for iPhone does not require port-forwarding to be set up for the "Local" connection or "Internet" connections. Port-forwarding is only required if Felix wants to access his weather station from a remote location over the Internet.

"trixology-test.dyndns.org" is the test server for WeatherCat. It's a server for a weather station in Northern Scotland, so it's no surprise that the UV was 0.0.  :)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
As a side note - Apple announced iOS 8 at last week's Worldwide Developer Conference. It will be out this fall and will require iPhone 4s or newer. Edouardo may need to get a new iPhone.

Howdy Blick and WeatherCat iOS users,

It's an old iPhone 4, but it is running the latest version of iOS 7.1.1.  I keep putting off upgrading cuz I'm curious to know what Apple will release next!

I had basically the same thing happen on my iPad this morning.  It could be something to do with my Wi-Fi access point.  However, stopping and starting Wi-Fi on the iPad solved the problem there as well.  It is an iPad 4 also running iOS 7.1.1

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2014, 06:53:12 PM »
I'm back from my mother-in-law's 102 birthday and "chiming in".

102 is quite a run!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Grand, Blick,  and WeatherCat iOS fans,

As a side note - Apple announced iOS 8 at last week's Worldwide Developer Conference. It will be out this fall and will require iPhone 4s or newer. Edouardo may need to get a new iPhone.

Well, I had been planning to replace my iPhone for a while.  Since I was able to install a modern stereo with Bluetooth in my trusty wagon I was playing music from my phone and thus needed more memory.  Alas, when the brand new engine failed, suddenly the urgent need for a new phone kinda of disappeared. . . .

I am hopeful though that Apple will have some spiffy new phones out along with iOS 8 to give me some renewed incentive!  [bounce]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Welcome back Grand! (Re: Local vs Internet network connection)
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2014, 10:08:20 PM »
Dear Grand, Blick, Felix and WeatherCat iOS fans,

I'm back from my mother-in-law's 102 birthday and "chiming in".

Welcome back from your trip and hope indeed the brithday celebration was . . . . well . . . . grand!  :D