Author Topic: WeatherCat with Two Weather Stations?  (Read 1481 times)

Naby

• Gentle Breeze
    • AK4SK
    • KFLFREEP4
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2
WeatherCat with Two Weather Stations?
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:41:43 PM »
I have a Vantage Pro2 and my dad just gifted me his old Vantage Vue. Can I run two instances of WeatherCat or is there a way WeatherCat supports two weather stations?

Thanks,
Chris

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I don't think USB driver will allow this. (Re: Two Weather Stations?)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »
Dear Chris and WeatherCat station owners who's cup runneth over,

I have a Vantage Pro2 and my dad just gifted me his old Vantage Vue. Can I run two instances of WeatherCat or is there a way WeatherCat supports two weather stations?

WeatherCat wasn't designed to connect to more than one weather station at a time.  It is possible to run WeatherCat under different Apple (UNIX) users and that might work.  However, because these are two Davis stations there is a more fundamental problem.  If both have USB data loggers, the Silicon labs driver won't support more than one device.  I'm not entirely sure of this, but I do believe it to be the case  ( . . . . . . comments peanut gallery?? . . . )

If you are determined there is still one possible way, but it involves changing the data logger in one of the two stations.  If one of the Davis stations has the IP data logger instead of the USB data logger, then one WeatherCat process could run under one user connecting to the USB logger and the other WeatherCat process could run under the other user connecting to the IP data logger.  Since WeatherCat stores its data in the Library folder of a given user, each data would be completely independent.

WeatherCat wasn't designed to run in the background, but I believe some WeatherCatters have managed to make more than one WeatherCat process run on the same computer using the quick user switching feature of macOS.

If you decide to try to make 2 weather stations work on a single Mac, this please do let us know how it turns out!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

pbeaudet

• Strong Breeze
    • WD6FGE
    • KCABURNE1
    • Burney Weather
  • Station Details: Dedicated Mac Mini 2014, 2.5GHz 8 GB DRAM 12.6.5, Davis Vantage Pro2, Solar, UV, Soil & Leaf, and the wireless Remote Anemometer / SHARX SCNC3905 Camera /Bloomsky 2 with Storm / PurpleAir Air Quality Sensor
Re: WeatherCat with Two Weather Stations?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
I think it would be far easier and less trouble prone to add a headless Mac Mini to you setup. I am using an inexpensive 2012 model.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
I'm running two Davis consoles, but both are connected to the same ISS and only one feeds data to WC. I'm doing this just because I can. When I bought my VP2Plus I had Davis refurb by old VP and I was just storing it for an emergency in case eejits stole my VP2 like happened to Herb. One day I pulled out the old console and connected it so I didn't have to run to my computer to look at the weather. This was pre-iOS app.

Let us know if you figure this out, Naby.
Blick

Naby

• Gentle Breeze
    • AK4SK
    • KFLFREEP4
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:25:40 PM »
Thanks. I have a PC also so I may just run some other software on it and be done with it.

Chris