Author Topic: WeatherCat localizers - willing to translate CWOP/WU error messages?  (Read 3007 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat localizers . . . . . (you know who you are!!  [biggrin]),

I'm feeling very Italian . . . . we'll have spaghetti tonight and to be perfectly honest . . . I have been untangling the spaghetti code in WC Status Growler for most of the afternoon!! 

Sure was a lousy programmer who wrote that code  >:( . . . . hey! wait a minute, that's me!!  :-[

Well, I'm still diligently replacing all strings versions that come from a Localizable.strings file.  However, that means some  ;) sucker . . . (err, brave, kind-hearted, generous, selfless individual)  [lol] would need to take on all those strings.

So far it isn't too bad, but here is where Stu has "helped" you a little more.  Stu diligently typed in the meaning of about 10 error codes for CWOP and Weather Underground into the WeatherCat manual (starting on page 143.)  They are strings like this:

• CWOP is disabled in WeatherCat's preferences.
  • CWOP station ID has not been entered into WeatherCat.
  • Couldn't find a CWOP server.
  • CWOP server did not respond.
  • Latitude/Longitude has not been entered into WeatherCat.
  • Internet not available.
  • Server busy, refused connection.

Does that look like something you'all are perfectly comfortable translating?  If so, I'll localize these things too.

I'll try to get one of my smaller scripts into your hands for experimentation to see if the localizing is as straightforward as for WeatherCat.  It is the same system it appears.  Folders for the different languages with different Localizable.strings files using the same syntax for the strings.  I'll need to ask Stu some things about what he adds to this Localizable.strings files.  His look fancier than mine!  8)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: WeatherCat localizers - willing to translate CWOP/WU error messages?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:20:59 AM »
Just send me a strings file and I will see what I can do!
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Reinhard! (Re: translate CWOP/WU error messages?)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
Hi Reinhard and multilingual WeatherCat supporters!  [cat]

Just send me a strings file and I will see what I can do!

Thanks for your support!  After looking a the number of strings, it wasn't as bad as I thought.  Stu left himself room for hundreds of error codes, but fortunately Weather Underground and CWOP only have about 10 distinct errors.

I'll try to create a small translation test package using one of my temperature rising/falling scripts.  They don't have many strings to translate and are easy to test.  That way any other "surprises" can be dealt with before you invest much in the project.  Let me do some more housekeeping first and perhaps pick Stu's brain a bit on a few Localize.strings file details.  Then I'll send you a mock up of the new AppleScript file layout to try to localize.

Thanks again!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]