Author Topic: Yosemite memory compression caught in the act.  (Read 5143 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yosemite memory compression caught in the act.
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:16:49 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Macintosh technologists, . . .

You may have heard that Yosemite incorporates revolutionary new memory compression technology that is only . . . 2 decades old.  Some of you might be old enough to remember Connectix product RamDoubler from the 1990s.  Yesterday WeatherCat memory use made an abrupt drop and I wasn't sure why:

Fortunately Activity Monitor had the answer:

As you can see, about 100 Mb of WeatherCat memory use was compressed.  That seems to explain the reduction in use of real memory.  You can also see that my poor MacBook Pro was starting to strain with Path Finder using almost 25% of my computer's memory because of a memory leak.  Sadly that memory leak is almost certainly some sort of Yosemite bug that either involves a software interaction or more likely has an incorrect implementation for my Mac model.  The folks at Cocoatech who wrote Path Finder clearly cannot be blamed outright, only 2 people have reported the problem and Path Finder has a sizable following.

Clearly another example of the maxim of our 21st century world: "There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over."  What are we going to do when there is no more time to do it over?

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Yosemite memory compression caught in the act.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:43:21 PM »
Edouard:

I am quite interested in what you are reporting. What does it mean when one is not using any compressed memory? Why is WC taking up twice as much memory on your machine as on mine? See attached.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:11 AM »
? Clearly another example of the maxim of our 21st century world: "There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over." ?

Like the way Adobe has been doing Flash? (My currently biggest pet peeve)

[beer]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Bugs, bugs, bugs, . . .. (Re: Yosemite memory compression)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »
Dear Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat Macintosh caregivers,

I am quite interested in what you are reporting. What does it mean when one is not using any compressed memory?

I assume Yosemite only resorts to memory compression when it is getting short of memory.  More accurately, I think it depends on this new metric called "memory pressure."  If you have enough ram on your computer to run all your applications, then compression isn't used.

Why is WC taking up twice as much memory on your machine as on mine? See attached.

Does this . . . answer your question!?!

Uh, more technically I believe that it is a manifestation of the same Yosemite memory leak bug that is also affecting Path Finder.  WeatherCat has always exhibited a slow memory creep since Stu implemented synthetic channels and I modified WC Status Growler to allow me to graph WeatherCat memory use.  I'm not the only one who has noticed this.  Randall also reported seeing WeatherCat 2.0 creeping in memory use during the private beta testing.  Since we aren't all seeing it, it cannot be a bug in WeatherCat itself.  Also, it has to be somehow related to the model of Mac you are running it on.  I suspect that Apple still as some bugs in their video code of Yosemite.  That's why it effects multiple applications.

Definitely another case of . . . . .

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 10:57:57 PM »
Hi WeatherCat Memory watchers
 My self I think it has to do with how much memory your computer has
Myself I have 8 gigs on my iMac and this is what Activity Monitor says (see attached)
Edouard I think said he had 16 gigs and his is lower than mine
And Blick I think has 24 gigs which is the lowest of all
I also hace 24 Custom gauges opened on my desk top at all times instead of the Gauges Window
So I use memory pro to keep an eye on mine when it gets down to 3 gigs it frees it up and so far it is working for me
And Yes I used to use Ram Doubler back when

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
Edouard and Randall:

Thanks for the info.

There is a story behind me having 24 GB RAM. I special ordered my iMac from a local authorized Mac retailer (we aren't being enough to have a real Apple Store here). I have learned from past experience that if I just order a cookie-cutter iMac, they sell me an old one from the back room, rather then the latest refresh. I upgraded the video card so that they would have to order my iMac fresh from Apple. First they lost my order, then they ordered the wrong computer, and by the time I received my order, three months had passed. When they finally received the computer that I ordered, they told me they were so sorry it took so long that they upgraded my RAM from 16 GB to 24 GB at no-cost.

I told them that if they would toss in a keyboard of my choice, I would call it even. They did and I never asked them why they selected 24 GB as the magic number. The keyboard they tossed in is a Logitech solar-powered wireless Mac keyboard, which I love.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 05:05:41 PM »
a Logitech solar-powered wireless Mac keyboard
So... you have to use your Mac on the porch?! [rolleyes2] Well, it gets you "out of the house", anyway... :D

I wouldn't say not having an Apple Store in town is such a terrible thing. You seem to have figured ot how to deal with yours quite well, also. ;D Except for the mini, I usually "buy" mine through a relative who works at 1 Infinity Loop. [blush] Frankly, it's one of the few times we can get out son to communicate with us! [lol] At least he usually upgrades my orders, also, though just with Apple products! ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 05:09:44 PM »
So... you have to use your Mac on the porch?! [rolleyes2] Well, it gets you "out of the house", anyway... :D

The keyboard uses ambient room light to recharge and I don't have to replace any batteries. It's awesome.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »
The keyboard uses ambient room light to recharge and I don't have to replace any batteries.
So... you can't work in the dark?! Oh well... :P

We tried using rechargeable batteries for wireless microphones at a church we used to attend. Some of the older mics just used too much energy and they had to be changed at the last minute to avoid failure at inopportune times! Some brands of batteries are better than others, also. I have a recharge station that we quit using at church and I keep a pair of cells in there all the time. When my Apple Magic Pad says the batteries or low, I simply swap them with the ones in the charger. The batteries are several years old and have paid for themselves and the charger twice over. OTOH, the solar-power, even if used with indoor lighting, sounds great (he said, grudgingly), even if you can't work in the dark. 8)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 06:20:34 AM »
Did someone mention batteries?

[rockon]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 07:53:44 AM »
Did someone mention batteries?

Ha ha ha. Herb, you sir, are the best.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 12:32:56 PM »
Hi gang
 I have never used my new  wireless keyboard or mouse that came with my iMac 2011
I still using the  keyboard from my eMac and an trackball

I know this has nothing to do with memory

cheers

[cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
I know this has nothing to do with memory
Memory about what?! I forgot the topic title! [goofy] I still use a wired extended keyboard and the old Super Mouse (with a non-functioning, tiny, little scroll bearing (it's too small to call it a 'ball'!). But I also use the ~5 x ~5 inch Magic Track Pad a lot. I gave away the wireless Magic Mouse; too small for my hand. Just wish I had an ADB-to-USB adaptor so I could use one of my really nice, Apple Extended (battleship) keyboards with real moving, spring action, clicking-sound keys... they just don't make them like the used to back in the good 'ol '90's. ;D

Bull, those batteries look nice in the box, but do they come in green?

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »

Only if you wear shades of the same color, man? stay cool!

[rock]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 10:53:35 PM »

Only if you wear shades of the same color, man? stay cool!

Watch the movie The Wizard of Oz for more information.
Blick