Author Topic: Silicon Labs USB Driver is now at v5.0.1  (Read 9109 times)

awilltx

Silicon Labs USB Driver is now at v5.0.1
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:46:21 PM »
There is a new(ish) SILabs driver for those who use it available here:

https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

According to the release notes which are not updated properly or very often, v5.0 was released on August 3rd, followed by v5.0.1 on the 25th.

I am currently running the latest with no problems so far.

Alan

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
macOS 10.11 kernel driver API (??) (Re: Silicon Labs USB Driver at v5.0.1)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:12:36 AM »
Dear Alan and WeatherCat fans of the latest and greatest,

There is a new(ish) SILabs driver for those who use it available here:

According to the release notes which are not updated properly or very often, v5.0 was released on August 3rd, followed by v5.0.1 on the 25th.

Well according to the release log it sez . . . .

Code: [Select]
CP210x Macintosh OSX Driver Revision History
--------------------------------------------

Version 5.0.1
Bug fixes.

Version 5.0
Adds support for GPIO control.
Updated for compatibility with MacOS 10.11 Kernel driver APIs.
This is a significant update to this driver.

I suppose this code has been out of date for some time if it needed to be updated to work with the macOS 10.11 kernel driver APIs.

;) . . . I think I'll let a few other brave souls try this driver first!  ;D

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Silicon Labs USB Driver is now at v5.0.1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »
Looking at the release file, it states: This release includes the Macintosh OSX driver for 64 bit Intel Macintosh computers running MacOS X 10.11 or greater.

Hopefully, that means it will run on 10.12 and whatever they announce this month in Cupertino.
Blick

awilltx

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »
Hopefully, that means it will run on 10.12 and whatever they announce this month in Cupertino.

I can make no predictions on the future, but I am running fine with it in 10.12.6

Alan

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Major maintenance time (Re: Silicon Labs USB Driver at v5.0.1)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:13:47 PM »
Dear Blick, Alan, and WeatherCat software consumers,

Looking at the release file, it states: This release includes the Macintosh OSX driver for 64 bit Intel Macintosh computers running MacOS X 10.11 or greater.

Indeed it appears that this driver had to get a significant rewrite in order to comply with Apple's latest driver API.  Software developers are going through the motions of getting ready for Apple's switch to a purely 64-bit architecture.  Nonetheless, since Alan's installation is doing fine, odds are we can upgrade at our earliest convenience.

Cheers, Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »
unfortunately I was gulible and downloaded that driver.  None of my stuff works. So I spent  the last day removing most stuff and putting it back.   It has been a trip and a half.   
I use parallels on some stuff with Windows 10.  Now in parallels, Weatherdisplay won't recognize the USB logger, but WeatherLink does.  on the other side, the iMac side,  Weathercat  has problems connecting with the logger, Weatherlink for mac won't connect, something about  java/.lang unsatisfied linkerrors  and so on.  Weather display does work.

What is worse this is a new machine, I used migration assistant to move everything over.  I upgraded from 8 to 32g of mem, fusion drive and all that because the older machine was slow.

I still have those errors to figure out.    At least it is giving me something to do with my time remaining on this earth.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

awilltx

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 07:28:39 PM »
I still have those errors to figure out.    At least it is giving me something to do with my time remaining on this earth.

Sorry you are having problems. I know nothing about Parallels, Windows10, WD or WeatherLink on Windows or Mac! Hopefully you have some reliable backups? If not, attached is the 4.x.17 version of this driver if that helps you any.

Alan

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »

Sorry you are having problems. I know nothing about Parallels, Windows10, WD or WeatherLink on Windows or Mac! Hopefully you have some reliable backups? If not, attached is the 4.x.17 version of this driver if that helps you any.

Alan

I appreciate it. I will give it a try.   
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »
I still have those errors to figure out. At least it is giving me something to do with my time remaining on this earth.

I like a person who can laugh whilst in the midst of technology-induced hair-pulling. Hang in there.

Blick

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
I hope that with High Sierra comes out with all the new behind the scenes things, that at least Weathercat works.    I hear 32 bit support won't be on the apple side.   Weatherdisplay and Weatherlink will be toast.   

One of the reasons I upgraded the computer was I run windows in the virtual parallels side and weather link works there, but for some reason weatherdisplay not a chance.  eh...   I have been keeping cumulative data over the years in Excel so if everything doesn't work, Ihave a copy.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
I hear 32 bit support won't be on the apple side.

Isn't High Sierra the last OS that will support 32 bit apps? So we will have one more year ...  :) Although I would prefer 'one more thing...'  ;D
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »
Isn't High Sierra the last OS that will support 32 bit apps?
Yep: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=06282017a:
June 28, 2017
At WWDC 2017, we announced new apps submitted to the Mac App Store must support 64-bit starting January 2018, and Mac app updates and existing apps must support 64-bit starting June 2018. If you distribute your apps outside the Mac App Store, we highly recommend distributing 64-bit binaries to make sure your users can continue to run your apps on future versions of macOS. macOS High Sierra will be the last macOS release to support 32-bit apps without compromise.
[emphasis added]
I wouldn't want to bet on the "without compromise" ease-of-use. [rolleyes2] I'm sure The Dev is already considering and maybe even implementing any changes needed in WC. we need a "fingers-crossed" smiley...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Silicon Labs USB Driver at v5.0.1
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
;) . . . I think I'll let a few other brave souls try this driver first!  ;D

Brave soul Reinhard reports: New driver installed and working like a charm.  [computer]  [cheers1]
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Before next reboot! (Re: Silicon Labs USB Driver at v5.0.1)
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, Alan, Blick, Reinhard, X-Air, and WeatherCat sys-admins,

unfortunately I was gulible and downloaded that driver.  None of my stuff works.

Sorry about all your troubles.  Indeed the more things you do with your computer the greater the risk something won't be compatible.

Brave soul Reinhard reports: New driver installed and working like a charm.  [computer]  [cheers1]

Thanks Reinhard for the positive report!  When it comes my USB devices, I don't have anything - too - exotic.  I'll try to upgrade just before my next reboot.

Cheers, Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 12:43:17 AM »
I am a software pack rat, but I don't have Weatherlink for mac so I ordered a copy of the software.  I am going to move my files to a flash drive that I need to keep.   When the disk arrives,  then totally delete Weatherlink from the imac.   Iuse WeatherLink to make adjustments to the transcievers as necessary. for example I have two Wind units and one wireless anemometer transmitter.  It sometimes gets nastier in the early and late winter and we have freezing rain. the top unit freezes and then I can use the bottom if necessary, just switch the transciever on or off.

So When the software shows up, after deleting and removing all traces, then reload Weatherlink and see what happens.    I can alway run a cable from my Envoy to my wifes Win10 unit and do the deed that way.   Now in WIndows 10 using parallels on this machine,  I can run WeatherLink on that, but not Weatherdisplay.  However on the Mac side, I can run weather display and weather cat but not Weatherlink.  ARGHHHHHHH

The problem is with java and how weatherlink uses it.  Sometimes a good killing solves things.  I am interested on final version of High Sierra and how all the architecture of filing works out.  No , I won't be the first out to grab a new copy,  going to wait a bit.