Author Topic: Hello from the Algarve, Portugal  (Read 2830 times)

DavidAlgarve

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage Vue: 2017 iMac with OS10.13
Hello from the Algarve, Portugal
« on: January 25, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
I have been very slow to join the forum, mainly because although I have had my equipment for some time, I haven't really had the time to find out what it is capable of.
The hardware is the Vantage Vue and Data Logger. The software was originally installed on a mid 2011 27" iMac and I was content to see the basic weather measurements on the screen, with the thought that I would get round to a greater understanding when work load diminished.
Well the old iMac finally succumbed just before Christmas, so as a temporary measure, everything was migrated to a Mac Mini that had previously been used for media.
A new 2017 iMac was received earlier this month and so I now migrated everything (or so I thought!) to the new machine. This was much more problematic than it should have been and  many hours were spent on the phone to Apple Support before I could feel confident that it was performing satisfactorily.
So working down the Apps in alphabetical order, I finally got around to WeatherCat.
Many problems again and I must have installed the Silicon Labs driver a dozen times, but finally, with the help of Trixology support, I have it working.
It was tedious, but I have learned a lot and I am now determined to learn more about the features and perhaps, contribute to weather statistics from this area of Portugal

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hello from the Algarve, Portugal
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum David. Glad to have you aboard. Portugal is a beautiful country.

The next time you need to move WeatherCat, there is a step-by-step instruction on how to day that in the WeatherCat Wiki. In fact, there is a whole bus load of information in the Wiki about how to do things with WeatherCat. Take a look here:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome! (Re: Hello from the Algarve, Portugal)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 10:18:53 PM »
Dear David, Blick, and WeatherCat welcome wagon, . . . .

I have been very slow to join the forum, mainly because although I have had my equipment for some time, I haven't really had the time to find out what it is capable of.

Well certainly better late than never.  By all means welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

The hardware is the Vantage Vue and Data Logger. The software was originally installed on a mid 2011 27" iMac and I was content to see the basic weather measurements on the screen, with the thought that I would get round to a greater understanding when work load diminished.
Well the old iMac finally succumbed just before Christmas, so as a temporary measure, everything was migrated to a Mac Mini that had previously been used for media.
A new 2017 iMac was received earlier this month and so I now migrated everything (or so I thought!) to the new machine. This was much more problematic than it should have been and  many hours were spent on the phone to Apple Support before I could feel confident that it was performing satisfactorily.
So working down the Apps in alphabetical order, I finally got around to WeatherCat.
Many problems again and I must have installed the Silicon Labs driver a dozen times, but finally, with the help of Trixology support, I have it working.

So sorry to hear about your multiple problems in getting yourself up and running with WeatherCat.  By all means try to ask your questions on the forum whenever possible.  We are a friendly bunch and collectively, we have an enormous amount of experience with this software.

It was tedious, but I have learned a lot and I am now determined to learn more about the features and perhaps, contribute to weather statistics from this area of Portugal

By all means do feel free to report the weather statistics from your station.  It is very interesting to see how the weather varies across the world.

Once more, Welcome!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:12:40 AM »
Welcome AboaRd, David!

Good to hear of your successful, if frustrating transition to a new computer. WC Support is the best around! And they are the reason we have this free forum, BTW!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 06:15:44 AM »
Warm welcome to the [WCSmall] forum!  :)
Reinhard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
Welcome aboard, David!

By a strange coincidence, my 2011 27" iMac started its downward spiral just before Christmas, and I replaced it with a 2017 27" iMac, too.

You'll find the folks here friendly and helpful, and Stu, the WeatherCat developer attentive to problems.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook