General Category > General Computing/Macintosh

Investors demand that Apple limit phone use for young people.

<< < (2/2)

Blicj11:
Well stated everyone. I concur, especially with Weatheraardvark's excellent comment about the need for parents to be parents. I am sure grateful mine were.

elagache:
Dear Weatheraardvark, Blick, and WeatherCat social observers,

--- Quote from: Weatheraardvark on January 09, 2018, 12:12:42 AM ---I do not think it is limited to Apple, however,  parents can  use parental controls, which can limit the time the child or teen or granny  on the internet.  There are also some internet security suites as well that has parental control .  All parents have to do is be parents, not best buddies, but parents.
--- End quote ---

I heartily agree with your point that parents should be more disciplined in child-rearing, but the problem in this case is that smart-phones have become so widespread in our society.  I have a cousin with adolescent children and he basically had no choice but to give both kids smart-phones.  As much as he resisted the matter, eventually he was forced to give in to the overwhelming peer pressure his kids were experiencing.

Not all parents take their responsibilities seriously for either child-rearing or smart-phone use.  I wouldn't be surprised in the California teacher's union took this extraordinary step because too many parents had become part of the problem instead of the solution.  Under those conditions where can society turn to besides the companies supplying the smart-phones?

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat information technology watchers,

There is a new non-profit organization created by former Google and Facebook employees that is seeking to change people's attitudes about the risks of "tech addiction" among young people.  Here is a New York Times article on the new group:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/04/technology/early-facebook-google-employees-fight-tech.html

Clearly the number of concerned voices is growing.  The 64 dollar question is will today's parents listen and what exactly can they do to moderate their children's dependence on information technology?

We certainly live in "interesting" times, . . . . . . . Edouard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version