Author Topic: WMR200 Support  (Read 10966 times)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
WMR200 Support
« on: November 21, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
Just added a WMR200 station driver - if this passes the stability tests over the next few days, it'll ship with 1.1 (a much requested station). It has posed some interesting development issues (don't they all!) but it's working quite nicely now. The only thing missing currently is support for the extra sensors - these may or may not make it into the initial release.

My first impressions are that the wireless reception can be a bit 'iffy' - indeed I suspect I have a duff external temp/hum sensor but as it's all in my office, it's fine for development.  But that aside, it's quite a nice station - has it's downsides of course (they all do) - barometer resolution is 1hPa, the rain bucket is 0.04" (1.02mm) per tip and dew point resolution is 1?C - ewww, so I've dumped the station supplied dew point and used the temperature and humidity. Wind update is circa 12 to 14 seconds, but seems reliable. For some weird reason though, I really like it - it has a certain 'charm' about it!

Maybe it's because from a development point of view it's obviously a direct descendent of the WMR 928/968 protocols - it sends when the data comes in from a sensor, not when you request it - so it poses some interesting development challenges like you have to build up all the data first, and it doesn't wait for you to request historical data, it just sends it as soon as you connect - that was interesting!

Anyway, if it holds up over the next few days, it'll ship in 1.1.

Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad to see this Stu! (Re: WMR200 Support)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,

Glad to see these additional drivers being added to WeatherCat!!  [tup]

Not everybody can afford a Davis station and it is a shame to have those folks going to that - other - Mac weather software.

Keep up the good work Stu!!  [rock]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: Glad to see this Stu! (Re: WMR200 Support)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
Congratulations Stu, this was a station I was seriously considering before going the Davis route, mainly because all the additional sensors were so much cheaper, wanted UV and floating temp sensors. Lack of Mac software stopped me although I did consider buying a cheap 2nd hand winddoze laptop to run a station.

Not everybody can afford a Davis station

Dunno about that Edouard, the WMR200 costs about ?400 over here in the UK  >:(

http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-Professional-Weather-sub-Complete-Range-prod-Professional-Weather-Station-.html#.UK50SoXsXDk

JC

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: WMR200 Support
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:34:05 PM »
Congratulations Stu, this was a station I was seriously considering before going the Davis route, mainly because all the additional sensors were so much cheaper, wanted UV and floating temp sensors. Lack of Mac software stopped me although I did consider buying a cheap 2nd hand winddoze laptop to run a station.

Not everybody can afford a Davis station

Dunno about that Edouard, the WMR200 costs about ?400 over here in the UK  >:(

http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-Professional-Weather-sub-Complete-Range-prod-Professional-Weather-Station-.html#.UK50SoXsXDk

JC

I was hoping my additional sensor would come in today but it hasn't - it's unfortunate that the old 968 sensors don't work with it :(
Once that comes, in I can complete work on the extra sensors.

And you're right John, they ain't cheap - picked this one up at Amazon for ?300, extra sensors (THGR810's) are about ?30.

UncleBuck

• Strong Breeze
    • IVICTORI276
    • Point Cook Weather
  • Station Details: Oregon WMR200, MAC OS X 10.10, WeatherCat V2
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:33:52 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct area to pose this question (feel free to move the posting if required).

I have a WMR200 and as the Rain Gauge tips at 1.02mm, is it possible to double the collector size and then half the reading in WeatherCat?
In theory, this should increase the accuracy in WeatherCat but the problem I can see with this is that the base would not know that you have done this and therefore show you twice the rain you actually had.

Col.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
Hi Col,
Added to the to-do list thanks, scheduled for the 1.2 development, along with a few other WMR200 things that need to be done (extra channel names for example) .

Thanks for the suggestion  [tup]

playtime

• Calm
  • Station Details: not chosen yet
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Just wondered how the addition of WMR200 to the supported equipment was progressing please?

I am about to buy my first system and could do with knowing this progress as the WRM200 is one of my options.

Thanks.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
Hi Playtime,
Unless something nasty crops up in the next day or two (been running it here for over a week now), it'll ship with WeatherCat version 1.1 in the next few days.

mrg

• Calm
  • Station Details: WMR100 basics plus 2 external temp sensors
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
Hi,

Is there any likelihood of modifying the WMR200 drivers to handle the WMR100?

thanks

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 09:31:51 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Yes, if there's enough demand for it. We've had a lot of requests for the WMR200, not many for the WMR100 so far.

LMO

• Calm
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
In the current version, can I add 2x THGR810 temperature sensors + 1x UVN 800 + 1x  THWR800, or do I have to wait for 1.2? Do they count as 4 extras, or more since they measure both humidity and temperature.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 05:23:54 PM »
Should be fine, but see the note in the manual about the logger and channel mapping  - they need to be on the lower 4 extra channels as only the lower four are currently downloaded from the logger when doing a historical download (all 8 extra channels are active when running 'live').