Author Topic: iOS Client-Server Connection  (Read 26627 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local"
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 09:28:37 PM »
While in WeatherCat (iPhone) go to the settings and return. This always causes the iPhone WeatherCat to reset the connection. If you don't get a connection after doing that, try again later. If you never get a connection, then kill the WeatherCat app in the background* and start it again. If that doesn't help, then it may have something to do with Mavericks (OS X 10.9.x) on your server.

I don't think this is a Mavericks issue because I had it before I upgraded to Mavericks. The process of killing the app if you can't get a connection after going into settings and returning has always worked for me, before and after I upgraded to Mavericks.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 12:50:32 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation that Mavericks is not the problem. Edoudard's suggestion to restart the iOS device is a good one.  It's sometimes a last-resort solution for mystery problems. If you have to do it a lot, let us know. It shouldn't become a frequent solution.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
To restart an iPhone or iPad:

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on the top of your device until the red slider appears. Then drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
  • After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo.

Note that the above described restart is only a power down and then power up. It does not clear memory or reset anything. To do a hard reset, push and hold the Sleep/Wake button AND the Home button at the same time. Keep holding it until the screen goes black. Keep holding. Hold until the Apple logo appears. Then the device will start normally.

Steve[/list]
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
To do a hard reset....

Steve: When you do the reset, does it actually reset any settings or does it just kill all the apps and clear the memory?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Apple support page on iOS restart (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »
Hi Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat iOS fans,

Steve: When you do the reset, does it actually reset any settings or does it just kill all the apps and clear the memory?

I searched around and couldn't find an obvious answer to your question, but just for completeness here is the Apple support page on restarting and reseting your iOS device:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

That page definitely discourages reseting your iOS device.  To quote:

You should reset your device as a last resort and only if you can't restart it.

Of course that's no explanation for - why - you should only use it as a last resort! 

Oh well!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2

No, it doesn't erase anything. It just clears all memory. Think of the power off as sleeping your phone, and this reset as shutting it down. I can't imagine why Apple would recommend against doing this reset, as it is very commonly suggested for any variety of errors or problems. I don't see anything on the page Edouard linked discouraging using the reset.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
I noticed this issue too, seemingly coming out of no where.  Things had been working fine for me for some time.  My work-around was to set the app to "internet" and type the IP address of the machine that runs WeatherCat.  Obviously not the best approach but it does allow the app to work once again.

Jay

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »
I'm testing an update to WeatherCat for the iPhone now and will keep it on "Local" (I usually set it to the Internet URL for my WeatherCat host so that I'm always connected locally and remotely.) I've not see the cannot-see-local problem, but will keep an eye open. I wonder if it's related to the router you are using. Some may be better than others. Just a hunch.

If anyone can come up with a way to reproduce this problem, I'd be grateful.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
No problems with local. (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat iOS fans,

I've not see the cannot-see-local problem, but will keep an eye open. I wonder if it's related to the router you are using. Some may be better than others. Just a hunch.

I've been using the WeatherCat iPhone app since it came out and only use it in the local mode.  I never have more than temporary lapses in connection.  We have a dated and unnecessarily complex home network and the app still has no problems finding the WeatherCat server.  So I second the motion that it is either some sort of a local Wi-FI issue that needs to some troubleshooting, or perhaps something wrong with the Mac running WeatherCat.  Bonjour has to working properly on both ends for the connection to be made.  If possible, try to run the WeatherCat Mac client to see if the problem is related to reaching the machine running the WeatherCat server, not simply related to the WeatherCat iPhone app.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »
This may be a router issue - sometimes they have problems with Bonjour. A quick reboot of the router may sort the problem out.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: No problems with local. (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
If possible, try to run the WeatherCat Mac client to see if the problem is related to reaching the machine running the WeatherCat server, not simply related to the WeatherCat iPhone app.

Good idea, but this iPhone app issue is definitely not related to the WeatherCat Client. I've been running it without a hitch. It connects to the WC server every time.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 08:59:32 PM »
This may be a router issue - sometimes they have problems with Bonjour. A quick reboot of the router may sort the problem out.

I agree with Stu. My old router bit the etherial dust several months back. I bought a new one and now that Stu mentions router reboot, I haven't experienced the iPhone app local disconnect issue since then. I am not suggesting you buy a new router, but rebooting the router may clear this up.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Where is the Mac Client? (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 09:06:13 PM »
Dear Stu, Blick and WeatherCat iOS users,

Good idea, but this iPhone app issue is definitely not related to the WeatherCat Client. I've been running it without a hitch. It connects to the WC server every time.

Hmm, definitely curious.  Is the Mac running the WeatherCat Client connecting to your network in the same way?  I have noticed problems in the past running the Mac WeatherCat client via Wi-Fi, but it has been so long ago I don't know if still exists.  Connecting to the WeatherCat Client works perfectly via Ethernet, but what would you expect?

I'll try to keep an eye on this one.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Where is the Mac Client? (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 01:12:05 AM »
Is the Mac running the WeatherCat Client connecting to your network in the same way?  I have noticed problems in the past running the Mac WeatherCat client via Wi-Fi, but it has been so long ago I don't know if still exists.

I only run the Mac WC client wirelessly and have never had an issue with it.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Okay, my turn to test this. (Re: WeatherCat app cannot see "Local")
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
Hi Blick, Grand, and WeatherCat client users,

Is the Mac running the WeatherCat Client connecting to your network in the same way?  I have noticed problems in the past running the Mac WeatherCat client via Wi-Fi, but it has been so long ago I don't know if still exists.

I only run the Mac WC client wirelessly and have never had an issue with it.

Alright, alright, I should put my money where my mouth is.  I just started up my old MacBook Pro and got the WeatherCat client up and running.  What used to happen is that the client would lose its connection after a few days.  I'm curious to see if that still happens.  If it does that might indeed indicate the the Wi-Fi setup I've got is too out of date to support Bonjours properly.  If so that would a possible failure mode for the iOS client that would be network related rather than a bug in the iOS code itself.

However, if you are running both the iOS client and the Mac client at the same time, golly that makes the network hypothesis less likely.  Although to make the test absolutely fool-proof, you would need to make sure that your iPhone and Mac have a similar Wi-Fi signal.  If there are issues with weak Wi-Fi signals, that also could produce the error in question.

Okay, testing is on!